Author Topic: SDCC, 2018 --Scalpers  (Read 11672 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
SDCC, 2018 --Scalpers
« on: February 20, 2018, 12:53:42 PM »
I don't know if this site is really this clueless or just plain stupid

4 day badge for $1147- $4962

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
Re: SDCC, 2018 --Scalpers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 12:57:28 PM »
This looks almost like a Stubhub type site, so the people running the site may not be aware of what is being listed.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:06:21 AM »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 02:16:41 PM »
Ugh!!!!!  I say we report them!
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 02:57:05 PM »
Ugh!!!!!  I say we report them!
Does anyone remember the best way of reporting?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 12:20:23 PM »
Is anyone on the boards here part of staff or know staff for SDCC? or is there links on con site to report it? i know they have staff who keep tabs overtime and some how ur badge is linkd to a id so they can send u a email if bust u for try sale any badge.

here is a link u can try send them a email or info about the sale - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »
Not sure how reporting that site is going to do any good as it doesn't list specific sellers names.  Similar to the hundreds of badges that are for sale right now on Stubhub....not much you can do about it at this point.  That being said the percentage of tickets from SDCC that are sold second hand are so miniscule compared to scalping of tickets to any other major event it's kind of like getting mad at spilled milk.

Offline darlenealderson

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 01:52:25 PM »
It's ridiculous that this is happening, but I feel badly for the buyers who desperately want to go and use unsanctioned methods to get a badge, eventually ending up spending tons of money on a bogus pass.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 03:12:50 PM »
I guess it depends on the company.  Ebay takes them down
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 06:11:28 PM »
I guess they get posted at any site possible untill they find a buyer and get the money and all. if they know the site removes a post they just go and repost again at any site again i guess.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 07:14:00 PM »
It's ridiculous that this is happening, but I feel badly for the buyers who desperately want to go and use unsanctioned methods to get a badge, eventually ending up spending tons of money on a bogus pass.
bogus? Most tickets sold on major sites like stubhub are not bogus and stubhub even has a 100% money back guarantee.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 08:58:52 PM »
bogus? Most tickets sold on major sites like stubhub are not bogus and stubhub even has a 100% money back guarantee.

I think you read wrong what the person was saying. They weren't talking about StubHub, but about buying secondhand SDCC badges.

As for reporting it, as others have said, without being able to tie it to a specific individual, I doubt there's much SDCC can do. They could theoretically contact the website to take the listings down, but who knows if the site will actually comply.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 11:08:33 PM »
They will probably try to get the site to take them down, I don't know how the legality would work though. I know they DO get on it when they know about things like this.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 05:46:05 AM »
I agree, CCI is very good about going after stuff like this.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 10:06:28 AM »
They will probably try to get the site to take them down, I don't know how the legality would work though. I know they DO get on it when they know about things like this.

As far as I know, CCI has been able to get sites, like ebay and craigslist, to remove posts about selling badges that are against their policies. So reporting it is always the best step to take. Of course, the website may or may not immediately comply, but at least with notice CCI can try, as said above they're really good about acting on these.

Of course, they may or may not be able to tie it to a specific individual (should the badges actually be authentic badges) to put a ban on their MemberID, but the listings should theoretically be able to be taken down. That way hopefully desperate people to go to SDCC don't pay outrageous prices...

Not to mention, I don't imagine many sites want to be associated with aiding an unlawful (I suppose) sale when the organizer actually contacts them.

As far as I know, we've just used the main contact form for anything like this in the past, just make sure to put that it's about scalped badges/etc. in the title and I think it gets forwarded pretty quickly to the people who need to handle it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:09:14 AM by Iris_aya »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 10:52:45 AM »
I think it sad that those who really wanna go but cant because u got others who get and try to bank more by resaling a badge. not sure how many would really pay the crazy price for those who try to sale any for profit if they dont get caught and blocked for future cons. i am glad and thankfull i find ways to go even if i have to give up a few hrs of time to help, atleast i able to get in and enjoy and do what i can before and after any job. if the volunteering wasnt a option then i have no clue how i would be able to go unless i had any connections possible to get every year.