Author Topic: Preview night 2018  (Read 2008 times)

Offline joyful_314

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 82
Preview night 2018
« on: March 28, 2018, 04:58:54 PM »
Hey! First time having preview night in awhile and wondering what to do! Should I focus on exclusives and the floor? See some new pilots? Remind me why I got preview night lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Preview night 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 06:52:26 PM »
people mostly do the floor- and exclusives
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:02:01 AM »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 08:08:24 AM »
Funny...I have preview night for the first time, too.  I don't collect for myself, but may be looking for others...to a limit.  Last year I noticed some other panel programming, such as previews of upcoming series.  I will definitely want to check that out.  It will be fun to just hang around and get a feel for what is to come.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 08:09:25 AM »
I use Preview Night as my chance to see the big booths. I often don't get back to the exhibit floor until Sunday, so it's nice to have that extra time.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 08:16:56 AM »
[member=314]Transmute Jun[/member] That idea sounds good. I will do that after the first rush to the vendors, when the aisles are somewhat peaceful for the last time...until the opening bell on Thursday.  Some may laugh, but during the con, I have found cool, interesting stuff from what people have abandoned on the top of trash cans, or along walls --posters, wrist bands, bags. I picked up several really nice reusable shopping bags sitting on the top last year, and some trading cards still in the package.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline CaseyJones14

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 146
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 08:34:27 AM »
Preview Night is normally the best time to snag the main exclusives you want (if the booths are selling them on PN) so you can enjoy the rest of the weekend without stressing. It's also the least busy so I'd definitely walk around and actually get to experience some of the bigger booths without the 9 million people brushing shoulder to shoulder with you  ;D
Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
Trouble ahead, trouble behind
And you know that notion just crossed my mind

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 10:00:00 AM »
I've always used PN to get the "lay of the land."  Before I go in I scope out what might be my favorite off-site (which I like to hit up first thing Thurs. if I have PN), then spend the rest of the night hitting up the big booths, scoping out the smaller booths, etc.  PN is a GREAT time to hit up demos, since the lines will never be smaller than what they are at PN.  If you can scope out what you might want (for example, a few years ago my son REALLY wanted to hit up the Batman VR game demo) that helps.  Sometimes if I know someone is signing that I want on PN I'll try to hit that so I don't have to think about it rest of the weekend (when "Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour' was released the day of PN I got Brian Lee O'Malley to autograph my copy at PN).
Mostly for me it's a lay-of-the-land thing.  I'm on a tight budget this year so I suspect I won't be scrounging for any exclusives, though PN IMO is too nutty for that.

Many come super early to line up for hours, but I just go right when the doors open and take my chances.  I try to keep things laid back PN knowing the rest of the week is crazy enough.  Unless you're hoping for exclusives or something there isn't a huge point in waiting for hours to get in.  I get downtown early (I live in San Diego), maybe around 3 or 4 and just hang out downtown; I'll eat a decent dinner somewhere, probably people watch a little bit, and then go in when doors open. 

That all being said, as my oldest son gets older and more independent (he's 16 now) I have a feeling my plans will fairly radically change this year.  He's way in to video games and IDW Transformer comics so who knows what may be going on PN that he'll want to get to; I might be in line for hours afterall  :-X

Offline Lord Bacon

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 10:26:44 AM »
As mentioned before, PN is great for picking up exclusives, visiting booths and walking the exhibition hall without being trampled to death. I like to make the most of PN by picking up swag, exclusive merchandise art prints and my WB bag.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 04:39:12 PM by Lord Bacon »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 11:05:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As mentioned before, PN is great for picking up exclusives, visiting booths and walking the exhibition hall without being trampled to death. I like to make the most of PN by picking up swag, exclusive merchandise and art prints and my WB bag.
I used to LOVE getting swag on PN BITD.  Booths were a lot more 'loose' about giving away their swag, and not 'rationing' it over four days.  PN used to be THE best day to get all the best swag!

Good call about the art prints at PN: in that 'corner' of the SDCCI world PN seems generally the most intimate (maybe because the artists are 'fresh' and excited about CCI still).  I generally think Sunday is the best day to buy that type of stuff because that's when they're most desperate to unload merchandise and the best deals can be had.  But I think PN is a close second with art stuff because artists are in good moods and looking to kickoff the week with sales.

Offline bmag

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 11:21:04 AM »
I normally use preview night to go sight seeing and make it a photo op opportunity rather than lining up for purchases and exclusives. PN is still a mad house for those wishing to purchase exclusives and grab swag. The lines for exclusives on PN seem to match the lines on other days while less attention is given to the props and photo ops displays provided by the booths.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 04:05:38 PM »
Never done pn reg or volunteer, but just be sure grab exclusives at booths so get before other booths grab and try resale for profit later. i have read booth limit other booths from stockpileing stuff so try get what u want most if anything cause im sure otehrs have stuff posted to ebay just as quick as they get it lol. i just hope can get good swag before it gone cause any vultures i guess try get so many of one thing and guess resale later if they see others doing the same lol.

Offline MsButtaskotch

• Room 6BCF
  • 80s Baby. 90s Girl. 2K Adult = Certified Awesome
    • Crimson Charm Publishing
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 05:43:49 PM »
PN is pretty cool. This will be my 3rd year going. I like to go early and walk the floor and then catch all the previews of new shows, just so i can sit through a regular season and bet on what's going to last or get cancelled early.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 06:00:31 PM »
I'm actually looking forward to spending a bit more time on the floor of Preview Night.  The past number of years Hop Con was this evening as well, so I'd fly in on the floor, run around for a couple hours, then head out again.  This year I plan to take my sweet ole time.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 08:53:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm actually looking forward to spending a bit more time on the floor of Preview Night.  The past number of years Hop Con was this evening as well, so I'd fly in on the floor, run around for a couple hours, then head out again.  This year I plan to take my sweet ole time.

Best way to do it.  :)
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 10:54:45 AM »
I would skip the TV pilots but that is just me.  PN and Sunday afternoon end up being the only times I actually spend on the exhibit floor.  I love the opportunity to spend those PN hours mostly just walking the floor and checking out all the amazing booths.  I try and get as much as my shopping done as possible (some exclusives won't be offered yet) and pick out one of the experiences I really want to do (like Aliens or Vikings) and get in line for that.