Author Topic: Gaslamp Overnight Parking Options (for those with Hotels in the area)  (Read 3694 times)

Offline seabisquick

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 37
Most gaslamp hotels are charging close to $50 per night now.

If folks with cars are planning to not touch theirs the duration of the stay, a deal worth considering might be parking at the Four Points by Sheraton Downtown (about 1 mile from convention center).  From there use public transportation, lyft, uber to/from their hotel.

I looked up their pricing on spothero and it is $47 (additional $10 off with code SHAPRIL10) from weds 7/18 morning to sunday 7/22 evening.  That's less than $10 a day.  However there are no in and out privileges at this valet lot.  It seems it is geared for airport overnight parking.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I have not tried parking there before btw.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 05:02:55 PM by seabisquick »

Offline Ganemis

• Freebie Table
  • Exhibit Hall
    • Teknosquid
  • Liked: 17
Re: Gaslamp Overnight Parking Options (for those with Hotels in the area)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »
I will check this out since I am coming from Phx AZ aka Tatooine and need to keep my car somewhere during sdcc, since I don't wanna pay valet every night. This is great too since its a lot closer than the airport, I was gonna go that route.  Thanks!
SDCC 2008, 2011-2019

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline princesslucky

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 02:23:47 PM »
Good tip! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 11:45:47 AM »
Thanks for the tip. The rising cost of parking overnight in a downtown hotel is a matter that is not talked about enough. As if we don't pay enough as it is for an actual hotel room. Yeeeeeeesh.
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 01:52:27 PM »
One of the standard techniques people use is if they don't plan to use their car during the con, they park at an airport long-term parking lot and then Uber back and forth to their downtown hotel.

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 01:59:21 PM »
One of the standard techniques people use is if they don't plan to use their car during the con, they park at an airport long-term parking lot and then Uber back and forth to their downtown hotel.

I've heard of people doing that.  I contemplated it last year but ended up not doing it.  I'd be interested in hearing some first hand experiences.

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 05:14:18 PM »
Thanks for the tip. The rising cost of parking overnight in a downtown hotel is a matter that is not talked about enough. As if we don't pay enough as it is for an actual hotel room. Yeeeeeeesh.

I agree, and it seems as if the parking cost is increasing everywhere. As long as people go with it, hotel parking keeps going up.

Offline grbggrl

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 09:41:40 PM »
$50 is obscene. It's definitely getting ridiculous how they fleece us at this thing every year. CCI fights tooth and nail to negotiate somewhat reasonable rates to this thing, and so of course the hotels find other ways to screw people. So frustrating.

That's the one nice thing about NYCC every year. Less struggle for a hotel, which is in the heart of NYC and costs the same as SDCC hotels do, but at least you're not worrying about parking because who is crazy enough to take a car into NYC?! Lol

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 08:51:06 AM »
What better way to make the most cash as a business than hiking up prices for a huge event in the area? This is nothing new. I live in LA and each time I attend a concert or sports event at the Staples Center, best believe that independent parking lots rake up their prices from $8-$10 (which is their usually prices for a parking spot) to as much as $45. Going back to SDCC, if you're not lucky enough win a parking spot through the ACE parking lottery, there are other independent parking lots that will gladly charge as much as $60. The businesses in SD know what they're doing. And unfortunately as consumers, we are at the mercy of supply and demand, which is pretty much the theme of SDCC right? 160,000+ people for one event and such limited items (merch, badges, parking spots, patience, etc.)
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 09:02:01 AM »
Also, parking is also one of the few things that isn't really gouging us Con-goers specifically - the hotel parking rates are the same all year. They're just really high. It's even worse in San Francisco. Hotel parking there is almost never below $50/night. At least some of the SD hotels are still in the $30-40 range.

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 09:48:23 AM »
Also, parking is also one of the few things that isn't really gouging us Con-goers specifically - the hotel parking rates are the same all year. They're just really high. It's even worse in San Francisco. Hotel parking there is almost never below $50/night. At least some of the SD hotels are still in the $30-40 range.

LA is bad too.  I had to pay somewhere around $45 overnight for parking at Stan Lee LA Comic-Con last year.

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 05:34:02 PM »

Last year the new Springhill Suites was definitely gouging for the con. The usual non-guest parking rate was $18 but was adjusted to $48 for comic con

Offline seabisquick

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 37
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 10:52:25 PM »
I think prior to 2016, the 6th and K Parkade lot was available and under $24 for a 24 hour period.  As long as you show up before noon on Weds, the lot would be open.  However the past couple years they've not allowed anyone to enter on that day.  So I've just had to eat the high hotel parking costs.  Last year for the Marriott Gaslamp, it was in the low 40s per night and now this year at the Residence Inn Gaslamp, which I was assigned, they want $48 per night.  That's going too far.  I'm not paying for that.

Offline Ganemis

• Freebie Table
  • Exhibit Hall
    • Teknosquid
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 01:59:30 PM »
I compared this to the airport and it saves about 20 to 30 bucks in comparison, I really want to this do this, but I have never used spot hero.  has s anyone else bought it yet? I just want to speak with someone before purchasing.  Thanks!
SDCC 2008, 2011-2019

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 02:43:19 PM »
not sure if mentioned already , but parking garage mite be decent price. not sure u can keep car at the place overnite but last i seen they not too much to park for day and all.