Author Topic: Universal Fancon **Postponed** But Really....Cancelled  (Read 3885 times)

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
Re: Universal Fancon **Postponed** But Really....Cancelled
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 06:05:46 AM »
It definitely sounds like they overpromised.  Most of the big cons got their start in hotels, not renting out entire convention centers. 

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 06:37:03 AM »
The whole thing is a mess, but it has been nice to see fans and vendors coming together to support and promote each other.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 08:13:49 AM »

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 08:33:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It definitely sounds like they overpromised.  Most of the big cons got their start in hotels, not renting out entire convention centers.

Right. Even if they were counting on sponsors (which are hard for even things like Nerd HQ to get), that's aiming too high. The space costs would eat up anything raised. Plus trying to book talent? And pay people.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 05:45:09 AM »
Here's an article about the situation:

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 01:20:02 PM »
Right. Even if they were counting on sponsors (which are hard for even things like Nerd HQ to get), that's aiming too high. The space costs would eat up anything raised. Plus trying to book talent? And pay people.

Yup.  56,000 for renting a convention center and booking multiple talent definitely seemed low.  Anime Boston, which is a good sized but not overly large convention, appear to have their costs in the Millions

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 05:03:48 AM »
I had not heard of Universal Con before reading this thread. The goals sounded wonderful. Unfortunately things like this may make it more difficult for new events. Really liked the idea of this event...a lot.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 11:35:59 AM »
Another con cancelled last minute... but at least this one is giving ticket refunds.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2018, 01:53:28 PM »
Honestly, the cancellation articles are the first time I've heard of either of these conventions.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2018, 02:03:55 PM »
I've been supporting Universal Fan Con for a while because I love supporting diversity, so this is particularly sad.

Every time a con gets cancelled, articles I wrote about DashCon get a surge in hits because everyone wants to research other failed cons.  It's sad but... kinda funny from my perspective. 

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2018, 02:35:31 AM »
The other organizers speak and they do admit that they aimed too high. But they also take a shot at their followers by criticizing them for not actually buying tickets and saying they people don’t really care about diversity...

Offline darlenealderson

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2018, 02:43:24 PM »
The other organizers speak and they do admit that they aimed too high. But they also take a shot at their followers by criticizing them for not actually buying tickets and saying they people don’t really care about diversity...

It infuriates me that they'd blame the "community" for not buying tickets. There's an obvious market for the con, but maybe skeptical buyers saw the writing of their ineptitude on the wall.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 04:17:45 PM »

This is so messed up.  You need to start your convention small.  Even SDCC started at a hotel with just a few hundred members.  This con was going to have more attendees than the first SDCC.  But they were expecting thousands of followers to fly all the way out for their brand new con.  So unrealistic. 

I have friends that organize cons.  They've been around for years and are still relatively small because that's just how their con operates.  But they know it and don't overshoot with their expectations.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 04:56:34 PM »
This is so messed up.  You need to start your convention small.  Even SDCC started at a hotel with just a few hundred members.  This con was going to have more attendees than the first SDCC.  But they were expecting thousands of followers to fly all the way out for their brand new con.  So unrealistic. 

I have friends that organize cons.  They've been around for years and are still relatively small because that's just how their con operates.  But they know it and don't overshoot with their expectations.

While we're no longer in the days where all conventions need to start small (Denver, Salt Lake, and Silicon Valley come to mind), it probably would have been a good idea for this one to.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2018, 05:27:49 PM »
While we're no longer in the days where all conventions need to start small (Denver, Salt Lake, and Silicon Valley come to mind), it probably would have been a good idea for this one to.

Ehhh those are a little different.  I know at least one of those was backed by a pretty sizeable group with deep pockets (Silicon Valley) so they could afford the massive upfront costs.  I don't know how Denver and Salt Lake started, so I can't comment on that, but there's a different between small non-profit fan run cons (FanCon) and something that has a lot of money in the bank to start (Silicon Valley).  Generally if you're a fan con, you NEED to start small.  You will not survive otherwise.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 06:38:12 PM »
SLCC was founded by guys with money as well. Maybe not at the Woz level, but Brian Brandenburg was a successful video game developer.