Author Topic: SDCC 2018 offsite events  (Read 52583 times)

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
SDCC 2018 offsite events
« on: January 20, 2018, 03:08:57 PM »
I dont know if this has already been started, but it still maybe too early to really know what they might try to promote for us to check out as an outside event to check out if we by chance tire of things inside for any reason.

i just saw new trailer for the incredibles summer 2018- so it can be one i guess. as said it still so early to know what will be setup for any studio or theme right now, just i think too much at times and know alot or some create a thread so thought i try and see how many can maybe guess what may be created outside the con for the few days its around. i have learned u can score some good freebies or swag from offsites and inside. i know i got some goodies here and there without even expecting cause i never really ask anyone where they get stuff i just go by boths and ask if something by chance is free or see signs and take 1 or 2 at time so not be greedy but know i over did last year lol, but have learned to plan but dont expect to do all u wanna do ea day.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
Re: SDCC 2018 offsite events
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 01:23:51 PM »
Zac Levi did an instagram live a few days ago and talked about Nerd HQ. He said there is a possibility it MIGHT be back this year in some form. He explained that right now he and his partner are working on finding a venue because the New Children's Museum has already been booked. The same things came up as always: venue, money to put on the event, logistics, etc.

I want to stress it is still very much up in the air if it will happen. But hopefully things can come together!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:11:16 AM »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 11:11:16 AM »
Yea, i can see how they try to bring back offsite events every year but as i have learned it does cost some bank to have it happen every year. if not everyday then be cool if they was able to have for like alday or half day this year if possible. i still not not sure what other off sites they gonna have till sdcc start posting news later. so alot stuff still not solid till they are able to say sometime after wondercon is done and over.

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 02:56:37 PM »
Great write up about what Petco Interactive is going to be this year:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 03:29:59 PM »
Great write up about what Petco Interactive is going to be this year:

This is something I didn't know about, so maybe I should check it out this year...

“If you have a badge, you will be able to get in the front of the line for food and drinks and activations,” Ridgeway said. “For experiences like last year’s It bus, which usually had a 3-4 hour wait, badge-holders would go to the front of the line.”

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 03:50:36 PM »
I'm just wondering how many badgeholders there will be! Will there be 2 lines for every activation: one with and one without a badge?

Still, I am glad to see badgeholders getting priority.

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 04:17:20 PM »
If they do it right it does sound like a great idea, especially the badge holder part.  I really like the thought of a bunch of fun stuff going on over there in the evening.  I remember PETCO being pretty great the first couple of years we did SDCC with lots of stuff to do.  The last 2 years we have gone through there in minutes as besides the IT bus and Evil Dead cabin there wasn't anything that peaked our interest and those both had huge lines.   

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 07:06:24 PM »
I definitely like the idea of a badge holder FOL deal. When you have a badge you don't want to waste a ton of your day outside the con waiting in lines for offsites, but we also know as badge holders we are their target, so I like the idea of them adding a little something to sweeten the pot for us.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 10:37:00 PM »
Fear not, Genji mains, Blizzard is bringing the payload to you! The Overwatch Payload Tour, unveiled today, is a summer-long event for cosplayers, though non-cosplayers are also welcome, at some of the more prominent US game and geek conventions.(including SDCC)

Beginning at PAX East next week, there will be a promised “one-of-a-kind” photo experience on a 360-degree panoramic stage set at the center of some Overwatch maps, and a selection of iconic Overwatch weapons will be on hand as well.

Those who are able to attend will also get an exclusive pin, with a unique design for every convention the event will be held at.

Offline frgx

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 769
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 12:28:58 PM »
There's a current exhibition at the Fleet Science Center that will still be running during Comic-Con--

MythBusters: The Explosive Exhibition--

"Does toast always land butter-side down? What keeps you drier: running in the rain or walking through it? Can you really pull a tablecloth off of a fully set table without disturbing a dish? In this amazing hands-on exhibition, you can put these myths to the test—just as the team from the popular MythBusters TV show has done for years!

On display in our expanded upstairs galleries, the exhibition will overflow with hands-on props and gadgets from the show. The Fleet invites you to try your hand at busting some new myths, as well as some old favorites."

Info here--

Tickets--

Fleet Science Center
1875 El Prado
San Diego, CA
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 12:34:08 PM by frgx »

Offline frgx

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 769
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 12:46:44 PM »
Looking for something nerdy to do in San Diego on the Tuesday before the Con--

Liberty Station Movie Nights--

Movie Nights - Clerks
Tuesday, July 17, 2018
Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens - Liberty Station

Clerks (R)
Movies start 15 minutes after sunset. Bring your lawn chairs and blankets and settle down for a fabulous evening of great beer and great cinema! If you plan on dining with us, we suggest arriving around 5:30pm to set up your spot on the lawn, then going to the host stand to be seated. Be sure to let us know you’ve come for the movie.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 12:53:09 PM »
Fear not, Genji mains, Blizzard is bringing the payload to you! The Overwatch Payload Tour, unveiled today, is a summer-long event for cosplayers, though non-cosplayers are also welcome, at some of the more prominent US game and geek conventions.(including SDCC)

Beginning at PAX East next week, there will be a promised “one-of-a-kind” photo experience on a 360-degree panoramic stage set at the center of some Overwatch maps, and a selection of iconic Overwatch weapons will be on hand as well.

Those who are able to attend will also get an exclusive pin, with a unique design for every convention the event will be held at.
I know Kurt will certainly be interested in this.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline joyful_314

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 82
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 05:50:49 PM »
Looking for something nerdy to do in San Diego on the Tuesday before the Con--

Liberty Station Movie Nights--

Movie Nights - Clerks
Tuesday, July 17, 2018
Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens - Liberty Station

Clerks (R)
Movies start 15 minutes after sunset. Bring your lawn chairs and blankets and settle down for a fabulous evening of great beer and great cinema! If you plan on dining with us, we suggest arriving around 5:30pm to set up your spot on the lawn, then going to the host stand to be seated. Be sure to let us know you’ve come for the movie.

OMG THANK YOU! I will be in the area early on and am totally going to this! It would be awesome if Kevin Smith was a surprise guest!

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 07:43:01 PM »
Don't forget the Meetup on Tuesday or you can come say hi and then go to the movie afterward.

Offline joyful_314

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 82
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 07:52:53 PM »
Don't forget the Meetup on Tuesday or you can come say hi and then go to the movie afterward.
OOOO I haven't brushed up on the meetups yet! Can you point me in the right direction for info? Would love to go!