Author Topic: 2018 TV Cancellations  (Read 12539 times)

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
Re: 2018 TV Cancellations
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »
very sad about timeless, hopefully we get at least a movie to finish off the series. BUT I WOULD LOVE ANOTHER SEASON AT LEAST! on netflix, hulu, amazon!
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2018, 08:36:58 AM »
Sony is in the process of shopping Timeless to the streaming platforms. You will see the signal boost from the Sony Co-President, Chris Parnell, on the FoCC Blog Twitter account.

You can do your part by tweeting your admiration of the series with the #Timeless #SaveTimeless #ResurrectTimeless #ClockBlockers tags. It is now in our hands to voice support for the series to continue.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 04:31:22 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2018, 09:48:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sony is in the process of shopping Timeless to the streaming platforms. You will see the signal boost from the Sony Co-President, Chris Parnell, on the FoCC Blog Twitter account.

You can do your part by tweeting your admiration of the series with the #Timeless #SaveTimeless #ResurrectTimeless #ClockBlockers tags. It is now in our hands to voice support for the series to continue.

I really hope this works, it got saved after being canceled last year.  But the ratings just don't look that good.  And unlike the Expanse, they don't have a CEO of a major streaming service as a big fan.

It's sad that TImeless didn't get more viewers.  It's a well done series and is even educational with the history aspect.  Dramatized history is better than no history at all.  Timeless and the Expanse are two of my favorite shows.  I like them better than GOT or West World.  What does it say about my tastes that the shows I like keep getting canceled?

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2018, 10:32:07 AM »
Half of the issue is that NBC wanted live ratings. The delayed and on demand viewing help but Eric Kripke stayed for the record to fans at NYCC 2016 that live was a big factor for the network.

The 10pm slot was also not ideal for a series which could be watched as a family since most kids would be asleep. 8pm would have been much better. The schedule is down to the network brass.

The online engagement has been extremely strong and even 6 weeks after I see the engagement of fans on many levels in many places online. NBC brass missed a great opportunity with the series to tap a great demographic.

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2018, 11:26:06 AM »
Half of the issue is that NBC wanted live ratings. The delayed and on demand viewing help but Eric Kripke stayed for the record to fans at NYCC 2016 that live was a big factor for the network.

This is just not how the majority of people watch TV anymore. Networks need to get with the times or get left behind.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2018, 11:32:19 AM »
This is just not how the majority of people watch TV anymore. Networks need to get with the times or get left behind.
Agreed 100%!!!!!!

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2018, 11:55:20 AM »
Sometimes I watch on the network app later on or on my Firestick from, ahem, free places. I know I'm not alone.

Off the subject, since hearing about Crazy Ex- girlfriend, I've been binging and LOVE it!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2018, 02:04:37 PM »

I went to a really interesting panel at Gallifrey One this year about the future of watching television. It was all about how people are moving to streaming services, and how this is changing the way television is presented. One thing they talked about (that I had never really thought about before) was the impact on advertising. Advertising is how most television networks (and certainly the traditional networks) make their money. In an age where people are streaming and recording on DVRs (and skipping over commercials) it's getting tougher to sell to advertisers. This is why live viewing is so important, because it 'forces' people to sit through advertisements. That's why this is the primary focus of TV networks.

It's also why things such as the Oscars and sporting events are so important, because people tend to watch them live, and therefore sit through the commercials. The panel speculated that as the traditional networks fall by the wayside and everyone moves to streaming, the streaming services will condense/merge down to about 5 or 6 of them. Subscribers will likely be offered 2 choices for payment: with ads and without ads. Naturally, without ads will come at a higher price.

This is why certain shows, such as Timeless, are in a weird place. They have loyal fanbases, but may not generate the advertising revenue necessary to keep them alive.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2018, 08:28:19 PM »
I went to a really interesting panel at Gallifrey One this year about the future of watching television. It was all about how people are moving to streaming services, and how this is changing the way television is presented. One thing they talked about (that I had never really thought about before) was the impact on advertising. Advertising is how most television networks (and certainly the traditional networks) make their money. In an age where people are streaming and recording on DVRs (and skipping over commercials) it's getting tougher to sell to advertisers. This is why live viewing is so important, because it 'forces' people to sit through advertisements. That's why this is the primary focus of TV networks.

It's also why things such as the Oscars and sporting events are so important, because people tend to watch them live, and therefore sit through the commercials. The panel speculated that as the traditional networks fall by the wayside and everyone moves to streaming, the streaming services will condense/merge down to about 5 or 6 of them. Subscribers will likely be offered 2 choices for payment: with ads and without ads. Naturally, without ads will come at a higher price.

This is why certain shows, such as Timeless, are in a weird place. They have loyal fanbases, but may not generate the advertising revenue necessary to keep them alive.
One of the awesome things about Gallifrey One. Great panels like that one!!

We do sometimes forget that the reason that the networks are "free" is because of advertisers.
Ang

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2018, 03:45:35 PM »

Freeform has opted to cancel #FamousInLove, starring @bellathorne, from #PrettyLittleLiars showrunner @imarleneking after two seasons. The show's May 30 season-ender now serves as the series finale

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2018, 09:09:34 AM »
Colony has been cancelled  :(

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2018, 11:21:38 AM »

Aw, man! It got lousy rating because they started the season so late.

Offline CptMyCpt24

• Hall H
  • myth of the chupacabra is just that - utter crap
  • Liked: 115
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2018, 07:18:44 PM »

They hyped it pretty good last year in Indigo and had the coordinates after to get a special prize and swag. FWD to the actual season and it was good but I felt it was still missing something. I think USA bailed on it to make their new shows.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SDCC: 2011-2014, 2016-2019, 2022-| ECCC: 2015-2018, 2021 | WonderCon: ? | DragonCon: ? | NYCC: ?

Zim: Ummm, is it supposed to be stupid?
Tallest Purple: It's not stupid; [sarcastically] it's advanced!

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2018, 08:05:17 PM »

Boo! I liked this show.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ