Author Topic: Robert A Heinlein Comic Con Blood Drive  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
Robert A Heinlein Comic Con Blood Drive
« on: May 14, 2018, 03:44:57 PM »
Looks like the dates are open now for Comic Con's Blood Drive.  I just scheduled my appointment for first thing first day of the con.  It's been a tradition of mine.  If you can donate blood, I encourage you to do so.  The people who volunteer are really friendly, its for a great cause and hey free stuff! Last year was Guardians of the Galaxy Shirts.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Its back at the Manchester Hotel, so its only a short walk away from the con, so you won't miss too much con time. 

Also, per SDCC Blog, there is a separate link for people to volunteer help run the Blood Drive. 

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:47:31 PM by Vapors »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
Re: Robert A Heinlein Comic Con Blood Drive
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 04:04:38 PM »
Yay! I was waiting for this but I thought it would be at least a couple more weeks before it opened. I'll sign up tonight when I get home (I don't know my SDBB login off the top of my head). :)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:00:24 AM »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 06:05:12 PM »
I tried to do last year, but was also first time able volunteer and check out the con. days got busy and by time i try donate i had make sure i was up to do so and just had skip cause was not to much for shirt and didnt feel up to donate at time. hope can do this year and try not run around so much to where u feel worn out sooner. i think this time would do early like maybe after job shift somehow so not gotta rush anything before job and feel more at ease donating since u able to rest and do steps and then recharge after u donate anytime.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 08:38:23 PM »
Thanks for posting! All signed up :)

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 10:44:36 PM »
Signed up!

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 06:24:20 AM »
Idk which place to click on the link

Set the dates for sdcc dates and then scroll down the list of sites until you see comic con at the bottom.

Offline SDCCgal2015

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 06:27:01 AM »
I wish they started on Wednesday lol I’ll have to see what works for me lol

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 06:35:59 AM »
Same. Went with Thursday for now, I used to do first thing on Sunday but then 2 years ago that conflicted with the Marvel Unlimited panel.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »
I probably try do so thurs or fri after job , since this time have better game plan and try get some goals accomplished before doing job for day. then can go by notes and roam around to donate blood so easier since u blood already going so fast from all the roaming around u do before giving blood lol. then can get some snacks they have for u to recharge and get back on track. they do make sure if need that u are ready to go cause i know last year somebody got light headed or other and had workers check and give them any help at time so they are prepared at anytime. so good to know if u not sure, they will help and advice u on anything if possible at time.

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 03:37:35 PM »
After hearing of the blood donation for awhile I tried this for the first time last year. I've donated blood before so the experience was nothing new to me. I was in and out within 30 minutes.
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 07:59:03 PM »
Fun fact about the person the blood drive is named after. At this year's Hugo awards they will also do retrospective awards for 1942. Heinlein has 4 nominations, under 2 pseudonyms.

Offline juliafrood

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 08:29:39 PM »
We have just walked in whenever we had time the last few years and it was never a problem  ;D

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 12:16:05 AM »
I used to donate blood when I was younger.  Now I'm not allowed to because I lived in Europe.  I ran into someone else while volunteering last year who was in the same situation.  She said they gave her a t-shirt anyways.  So if you are from Europe and they turn down your blood, don't feel insulted.

Offline kat_sydney

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 12:50:41 AM »
I used to donate blood when I was younger.  Now I'm not allowed to because I lived in Europe.  I ran into someone else while volunteering last year who was in the same situation.  She said they gave her a t-shirt anyways.  So if you are from Europe and they turn down your blood, don't feel insulted.

I live in Australia and our blood bank has that same requirement - if you lived in the UK for more than 6 months between 1980 - 1996 you are ineligible because they are worried about mad cow disease (which seems a bit extreme in my opinion but obviously they have their reasons).

I'm ineligible because I don't weigh enough (and I'm not underweight, just very short) - frustrating because I'm O negative which is the universal blood type.