Author Topic: Newbie FAQs/Discussion for SDCC Badge Buying  (Read 51570 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: Newbie FAQs/Discussion for SDCC Badge Buying
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2017, 12:34:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I hope this is not a silly question (newbie here) so if I join a buying group (just made a member id) and someone in the group is eligible to do returning registration can I possibly get a badge then even if I have never gone before?

No. Only people eligible for returning registration can have badges purchased for them in returning registration. If someone tried to buy for you, it would show an error.

But it's great that you made a member ID! You wouldn't believe how many people put this off until it's too late.

[member=7547]bennyb86[/member]: That's not a silly question at all! 

I would like to add to Transmute's answer by saying that there may be openings in the currently established buying groups for open/general registration (for people who are not eligible to participate in returning registration) after returning registration. 

At the moment, the buying group leaders are focusing on getting things organized within their groups for returning registration.  Once returning registration happens, they will have a better idea if they can or cannot accept any new members for open/general registration.  (Each leader runs their group a little differently, and they are the ones that set the maximum number of people in their groups to help make it easier for group members to coordinate during the badge sales.)  After that, the buying group coordinator, Transmute Jun, will provide updates, guidelines, and information in a designated open/general registration buying group thread. 

Please keep a lookout on the forums for that sometime later in the year!  :]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 01:34:52 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline rocki09

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2017, 06:14:53 PM »
Hi
Im new to this board and buying groups. I went into open registration this year for the first time and got tickets and would seriously love to go again.  I loved SDCC. Way different to the ones I've been too. I tried to read up on so many things beforehand but it doesn't matter once you get there lol.  Took some time to get some bearings. Need more practice ;)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 07:09:44 AM »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2017, 07:02:52 PM »
I made sure to have a backup so not to stress about getting a badge. since didnt get in the year before and all went right and was able to enjoy and see how con has changed by traffic and more. had my own game plan what i wanted to do ea day or do what possible cause so much more traffic then years past. so year to plan again and be ready to go to check in and all next year. just hope badge sales and all are not so delayed as things did this time as everyone was shocked they was late on things but all got done asap.

Offline rocki09

• Freebie Table
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2017, 09:04:47 PM »
It takes a while to get organised that's for sure. I didn't do much off site. Would of like to have known where all the freebies were.  Though can't complain with what I got.  Just trying to organise a lot earlier for next year (fingers crossed). 

I thought the badge sales were later than usual. 

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »
It takes a while to get organised that's for sure. I didn't do much off site. Would of like to have known where all the freebies were.  Though can't complain with what I got.  Just trying to organise a lot earlier for next year (fingers crossed). 

I thought the badge sales were later than usual.

Freebies were like random except for ones i read or watched videos about before went to con, so i had some clue where to go and other stuff if i wasnt sure i just asked cause i have read some booths if not all expect u to ask for any freebies at anytime or just be aware who passing out anything and also the swarm or vultures crowding a person or booth for stuff at anytime. i tried offsites kinda but was too early i guess cause tried check some stuff before con opend for the day. and people had compalined that badge sales was kinda late so caused other stuff to be late as well.

Offline rocki09

• Freebie Table
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2017, 03:52:24 PM »
Thanks for that.  Where did you read about the freebies. I've looked at a few posts from this SDCC to see who had the best swag lol. 

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2017, 04:03:30 PM »
Thanks for that.  Where did you read about the freebies. I've looked at a few posts from this SDCC to see who had the best swag lol.

SDCC unofficial blog has posts on their site months or weeks leading up to con and provide many links and info about freebies and all.

Parks and Con on youtube offer tips-https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=parks+and+con+sdcc

besides reading or searching about freebies at sdcc , then u get many articles about how to ask by chance any cause not all booths have freebies just gotta be aware and ask at random. sometimes saw signs and otehr times saw them passing out flyers, books , comics, etc. just dont always assume but u can always ask if any if u think u see some at time.

Offline Villann1938

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2017, 10:35:23 AM »
When do buying groups start forming for 2018? I would really like to go this year and I'm hoping I can join a group to increase my chances  ;D

Is there a certain person I should message about this?

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2017, 11:44:38 AM »
When do buying groups start forming for 2018? I would really like to go this year and I'm hoping I can join a group to increase my chances  ;D

Is there a certain person I should message about this?

I personally dont do buying groups but here i page of links might help - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And i tried open reg before and used volunteering as back up because i learned u can get badge for days u want and can volunteer on the other days u dont.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2017, 11:48:11 AM »
We should be opening buying groups shortly after Labor Day (that is the aim right now). At the moment, the leaders of the groups are assessing their current members and trying to see how many new members they can accept.

Offline Villann1938

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2017, 11:56:09 AM »
I personally dont do buying groups but here i page of links might help - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And i tried open reg before and used volunteering as back up because i learned u can get badge for days u want and can volunteer on the other days u dont.

Were you able to get into open reg? It's a group of me and two others trying to go. I haven't read any success stories of people trying to get in open reg. The only ones I've seen are on here when people enter a buying group.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »
Were you able to get into open reg? It's a group of me and two others trying to go. I haven't read any success stories of people trying to get in open reg. The only ones I've seen are on here when people enter a buying group.

Anyone can get in during open registration. However, it is much more difficult to do so, and that chances are lower, simply because there are many more people participating than in returning registration.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2017, 12:56:39 PM »
Anyone can get in during open registration. However, it is much more difficult to do so, and that chances are lower, simply because there are many more people participating than in returning registration.

Yes, as if able to get into return reg then u might have a better chance to get one any day. but as they sale during the wondow of time to sale then any left are sold during open reg so the pile is like alot smaller to try for any days cause some days sale sooner then others. so if u get past waiting room, it shows what still open for a badge and u can get for just one day or more but depends on what is not sold out. so i made sure to have a back up and things went better that way. so heres hoping all goes right and do again next year.

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2017, 04:32:00 PM »
I am still having dreams/nightmares about needing my badge for something.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2017, 04:50:37 PM »
I am still having dreams/nightmares about needing my badge for something.

Why would needing it cause u dream it or nightmares ? not sure u try be funny or serious seeing no faces to know of what is wrong.