Author Topic: Newbie FAQs/Discussion for SDCC Badge Buying  (Read 51592 times)

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
Re: Newbie FAQs/Discussion for SDCC Badge Buying
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2017, 07:56:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Were you able to get into open reg? It's a group of me and two others trying to go. I haven't read any success stories of people trying to get in open reg. The only ones I've seen are on here when people enter a buying group.

My first year (2015) I got in by myself during open reg.  I didn't know anything about this forum or buying groups or even how difficult it was supposed to be.  I guess ignorance is bliss.  Second year (2016) by myself again during pre-reg (still ignorant).  Nothing during pre-reg for 2017 (devastated).  Then I joined a buying group on this forum, and I was the one picked to buy badges during open registration.  I also got in as a volunteer this year.  I definitely want to be in a buying group for next year.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Villann1938

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2017, 08:45:42 PM »
My first year (2015) I got in by myself during open reg.  I didn't know anything about this forum or buying groups or even how difficult it was supposed to be.  I guess ignorance is bliss.  Second year (2016) by myself again during pre-reg (still ignorant).  Nothing during pre-reg for 2017 (devastated).  Then I joined a buying group on this forum, and I was the one picked to buy badges during open registration.  I also got in as a volunteer this year.  I definitely want to be in a buying group for next year.

At least you were able to get in the first two years! Ill definitely try to get into a buying group here on FOCC. The people I'm going with have created an account already so we can try to get in one together. Hopefully we get lucky for 2018!

I'm already really nervous about the process :( I know some people say the "no badge experience" is fun. If we end up not getting badges we will try that.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 04:08:54 PM »

Offline Tenraii

• Sails Pavilion
    • Tenraiis Cosplays
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2017, 12:13:52 AM »
Hi folks.

I'm a newbie too and I'm interested getting into buying group. there ae 4 people in the group I want to get in. (I now that it is unlikely to get badges for 4 people) so each of the for of us shouldbe in one buying group? would that make sense?

concerning the pick up of the badges:

if let's say my mom tries to get a badge for me.. and buys one but she is not attending herself. will she need to come to pick the badge up for me?(would be crazy.. maybe a stupid question... but how is it?)
Facebook: Tenraiis
Deviantart: Tenraii

Offline rocki09

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2017, 03:51:22 AM »
I'm not that knowledgeable and someone can correct me if I'm wrong but your mum just have to buy a badge in her name.  You can sign up and create a member id. When the badges go on sale you will receive a 'authorization code'.  As long as your mum knows your code she can buy a badge for you

Offline rocki09

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2017, 03:55:35 AM »
I'd love to know more about how buying groups work. Still new to all of it.  I was incredibly lucky that this year was the first year I went for tickets and got them in the open registration so I can try in returning rego and open rego this year (hope that is correct) but would love to go again and try as many opportunities as possible :). Loved my first time

Offline Tenraii

• Sails Pavilion
    • Tenraiis Cosplays
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2017, 04:07:09 AM »
thanks! I'm very excited about all of this and do not wnat to make any mistake ;-(  (San diego is quiet far away from my home country so I will have to spent a lot of money to go and I really do not wnat to miss the chance to attend... but in case I'm not getting a badge I think it will be great anyway.

so how does it work concerning the buying groups? just gather or pm some people? really have no clue ;D

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2017, 07:32:12 AM »
thanks! I'm very excited about all of this and do not wnat to make any mistake ;-(  (San diego is quiet far away from my home country so I will have to spent a lot of money to go and I really do not wnat to miss the chance to attend... but in case I'm not getting a badge I think it will be great anyway.

so how does it work concerning the buying groups? just gather or pm some people? really have no clue ;D

Check out the buying group thread on the forum.  It's locked for posting comments or questions, but you can read the information.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2017, 08:14:45 AM »
[member=5302]Tenraii[/member]  Everyone who wants a badge needs to have their own member ID account. Only those member ID accounts who had paid badges for 2017 will be eligible. So if you went this year, you could buy your badge in returning registration, but you would have to make a new member ID for your Mom and she would have to buy during open registration.

The way that buying groups work is that a number of people get together. Let's say it's 12 people (most buying groups are bigger than this, but it's just for illustration). These 12 people are completely unrelated and otherwise wouldn't know each other or work together. That means all 12 of them would be trying individually to buy badges, and all 12 of them would have to get in to ensure that they all go to SDCC.

However, each person who gets into the buying screen can buy for 3 people. So if the group of 12 work together, then only 4 of them have to get in to buy badges for the entire group of 12. The first person in buys for people 1, 2 and 3, the next person in buys for 4, 5 and 6, etc.

This works even if someone has already purchased your badge. For example, suppose person 1 gets in and buys for people 1, 2 and 3. Then later, person 3 gets in. They can still buy (even though their badge has already been purchased) for people 4, 5 and 6. This is the power of the group: helping each other to ensure that everyone has a better chance of getting a badge.

Those are the basics. Every group has slightly different rules, but they are all set up around this kind of ystem.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2017, 08:44:07 AM »
concerning the pick up of the badges:

if let's say my mom tries to get a badge for me.. and buys one but she is not attending herself. will she need to come to pick the badge up for me?(would be crazy.. maybe a stupid question... but how is it?)

[member=5302]Tenraii[/member] Badges are mailed to the badge holder, so it doesn't matter who buys your badge, it will be mailed to you.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2017, 11:37:22 AM »
As said above , badges are mailed to u if u are in the usa. but if u are international by chance then u will go to con and pick up ur badge at registration area. hope i right on the last part but i do remember reading international badge buyers are to pick up badge at the con. i had to do the same as volunteer cause had to then be assigned a job and time slot at the time. Only reg attendees and i guessing exhibitors, pro, etc get badge sent to the house in mail.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2017, 04:29:53 PM »
Yes, thanks for the clarification, International Attendees do need to pick up their badges on site.

Offline Tenraii

• Sails Pavilion
    • Tenraiis Cosplays
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2017, 12:42:31 AM »
okay thank you for the information ^^ (I have not attended SDCC before which means I 'm not pre registered ... pre-registration will start in September this year for 2018 right?)

concerning the picking up or shipping I also was told that it is possible to give the SDCC a US shipping address in case you are an international attendee?

I will check out the group thread. and hopefully figure out how to get into one ^^° thank you!

Offline ROBYN

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2017, 03:22:20 AM »
ok, so here goes nothing - I would like to take my daughter (turning 21 in November ) to SDCC 2018 as i know its on her bucket list
problem is, I am Technologically challenged so i need things explained to me slowly ???

I read that joining a group might increase your chances of getting a ticket ( We have member ID's already) so where exactly would I find these groups

we are coming from South Africa

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2017, 06:31:25 AM »
ok, so here goes nothing - I would like to take my daughter (turning 21 in November ) to SDCC 2018 as i know its on her bucket list
problem is, I am Technologically challenged so i need things explained to me slowly ???

I read that joining a group might increase your chances of getting a ticket ( We have member ID's already) so where exactly would I find these groups

Robyn,

The beginning of this thread has good information on group buying.  Keep an eye on this forum.  The notifications for group buying will pop up on the forum before the actual registration date and/or right after CCI announces the registration date.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2017, 09:23:13 AM »

You won't be able to participate in Returning Registration since you didn't attend in 2017.  So you will want to watch for the General Registration sale.  Having your Member ID is the first step, and next is to watch for Buying Group sign up here and try to get into a group.  Then you participate in GenReg. And then, assuming you get badges, you watch for the Hotel Sale (all hotels take reservations through this sale).

Keep checking back!

okay thank you for the information ^^ (I have not attended SDCC before which means I 'm not pre registered ... pre-registration will start in September this year for 2018 right?)

concerning the picking up or shipping I also was told that it is possible to give the SDCC a US shipping address in case you are an international attendee?

I will check out the group thread. and hopefully figure out how to get into one ^^° thank you!

Since you haven't attended you won't be able to participate in Returning Registration (could be in November), but will participate in General Registration (will be held a few weeks after RetReg).  Make sure to make your Member ID soon!