Author Topic: SDCC popularity.  (Read 14768 times)

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
Re: SDCC popularity.
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2018, 12:29:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And then you start to explain how to get tickets and increase their odds and most decide it's too much effort  ???  But they still totally wanna go!

Yeah, wheres the low cost/low effort/buy tickets and hotel the week before version that everyone dreams about ;)

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2018, 04:32:30 PM »
Yeah, wheres the low cost/low effort/buy tickets and hotel the week before version that everyone dreams about ;)
That was 2009 I think :) (I got MMM just by calling up and getting a sweet rate)
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #122 on: Today at 08:37:34 AM »

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2018, 04:57:02 PM »
I don't think comic-con has pulled back or plateaued at all.  I think it's expanding to meet more demand.  Sunday used to be half day, now it's pretty much a full day.  Also many offsites used to shutdown on Sunday and shutdown for the day around 5 or 6.  Last year, some offsites were opened until 12am.

When was Sunday shorter than it is now? As far back as I can remember (~the past decade) Sunday has ended at 5 which is still a half day, except for the exhibit hall. I've also noticed that the mood in the Gaslamp changes very quickly Sunday night and has the last few years, although I'll defer to you about offsites since I generally don't go for those. Which offsites lasted until 12 on Sunday (or close to it) last year?
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2018, 04:58:26 PM »
And then you start to explain how to get tickets and increase their odds and most decide it's too much effort  ???  But they still totally wanna go!

Yup. Either that or they suddenly decide that they don't want to go to Comic-Con anyway because it has gotten way too big and/or is no longer about the comics.  ::)
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2018, 04:59:54 PM »
Yup. Either that or they suddenly decide that they don't want to go to Comic-Con anyway because it has gotten way too big and/or is no longer about the comics.  ::)

Ah yes, the parade of excuses when the reality is they just don't want to put in effort.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2018, 06:29:38 PM »
I remember last year, the days fly by and by chance i was in the hall when they announced it be closing soon so i had by chance at con like all day lol to hear it and know was time to check in to get a job next day and whatever else then head home lol. not sure what day i was inside to hear the call but was like wow already that time lol.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2018, 07:20:36 PM »
When was Sunday shorter than it is now? As far back as I can remember (~the past decade) Sunday has ended at 5 which is still a half day, except for the exhibit hall. I've also noticed that the mood in the Gaslamp changes very quickly Sunday night and has the last few years, although I'll defer to you about offsites since I generally don't go for those. Which offsites lasted until 12 on Sunday (or close to it) last year?

It seemed last year there were a lot more people around on Sunday than there were say 4-5 years ago.  Back then around about 2pm it was pretty empty.

Dude, you're missing out.  They are awesome.  I was talking to someone about last year's comic-con the other day and spontaneously we both said that the Bladerunner offsite was the best thing about it.  That was one of the late ones.  They were still going at 10pm.  I'm not sure how late they stayed to get everyone thorough that was in line.  I was walking by and there was still quite a line.  I could have sworn that some offsite went until midnight.  That may have been the GoT one but you had to get in line 12 hours earlier for that.  They vowed to stay open until everyone who waited made it through.  In general many more offsites seemed to be around on Sunday and around later.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2018, 08:15:12 PM »
I really didnt check much of the offsites last year, but tried to check around sometime early sat or sun before con opened to kill time so to speak. was some cool stuff and took random pics. but gotta wait to see what be this year to get me to really wanna check it out this year if anything.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2018, 08:57:07 AM »

You missed alot and definitely worth not being inside the con for one day!

As far as offsites I highly disagree they are on the decline.  As [member=380]perc2100[/member] mentioned I think last year had the greatest offsites ever.  I didn't get to most of them (too popular) but we had Westworld, BladeRunner, GOT, Netflix, Walking Dead, Tech Expo, Rick & Morty and Impractical jokers at Petco, Adult Swim, FX area, plus tons and tons more.

Agreed!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #129 on: May 25, 2018, 09:51:20 AM »
I missed where people were saying that offsites are in decline.  No way.  Even if you spent every single day going to offsites, I don't think there's enough time to do them all.  Not right anyways.  For example, many people only did the first tiny bit of the Mr. Robot offsite.  If you went all the way, it was a multi-hour investment.

The thing that is in decline, more than a decline a full stop, were what I call the mini comic-cons.  Conival and NerdHQ were the big ones.  There were a couple more in addition in 2016.  They had panels with the celebrities but without the crowds.  Conival in particular was standout since it was free and the celebs came either before or after their panels at the convention center.  Sometimes even Hall H panels.  It was super easy to get a selfie or an autograph.  That all came to an end in 2017.

Thursday is a good offsite day.  The locals are still working so that's not a factor.  What is a 30 minute wait on Thursday can be a 4 hour wait on Saturday.  I spent all Thursday last year doing offsites but only got to do 3.  Blade runner, the Expanse and Mr. Robot.  Blade runner was awesome.  I spent a couple of hours in there.  I was amongst the first to get in that morning.  I had to wait an hour or two to get into the Expanse due to a critical error.  I didn't realize I could have gotten out of Blade runner, walked about 20 feet and gone into the Expanse since they were both run by Alcon.  The exit of Blade runner was an entrance into the Expanse.  I went all the way to the front and stood in line.  It was cool too.  It was an escape room.  I spent the rest of the day doing Mr. Robot.  It took hours but it was worth it in the end.  I don't think many people made it since it should have been a group of 4 per session but I was the only one in mine.  Like the year before, they built a Mr. Robot set but this time you got to play out a scene from the show.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2018, 11:08:41 AM »
Not sure if was 2016 or 17 , but remember seeing a group wearing mr robot hoodies with mask on walking around.  i use to watch the show but strayed from it for one reason or another.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2018, 11:48:20 AM »
I missed where people were saying that offsites are in decline.  No way.  Even if you spent every single day going to offsites, I don't think there's enough time to do them all.  Not right anyways.  For example, many people only did the first tiny bit of the Mr. Robot offsite.  If you went all the way, it was a multi-hour investment.

The thing that is in decline, more than a decline a full stop, were what I call the mini comic-cons.  Conival and NerdHQ were the big ones.  There were a couple more in addition in 2016.  They had panels with the celebrities but without the crowds.  Conival in particular was standout since it was free and the celebs came either before or after their panels at the convention center.  Sometimes even Hall H panels.  It was super easy to get a selfie or an autograph.  That all came to an end in 2017.

Thursday is a good offsite day.  The locals are still working so that's not a factor.  What is a 30 minute wait on Thursday can be a 4 hour wait on Saturday.  I spent all Thursday last year doing offsites but only got to do 3.  Blade runner, the Expanse and Mr. Robot.  Blade runner was awesome.  I spent a couple of hours in there.  I was amongst the first to get in that morning.  I had to wait an hour or two to get into the Expanse due to a critical error.  I didn't realize I could have gotten out of Blade runner, walked about 20 feet and gone into the Expanse since they were both run by Alcon.  The exit of Blade runner was an entrance into the Expanse.  I went all the way to the front and stood in line.  It was cool too.  It was an escape room.  I spent the rest of the day doing Mr. Robot.  It took hours but it was worth it in the end.  I don't think many people made it since it should have been a group of 4 per session but I was the only one in mine.  Like the year before, they built a Mr. Robot set but this time you got to play out a scene from the show.

I was one of those people who said the offsites were declining last year.  This is due to the lack of, as you call them, the mini cons.  And yea, it seems they all died out, which is a shame.  But the offsites last year were really kicking and sounded awesome (I only made it to the Mr Robot and completed the quest after about 2 hours).  I think I thought offsites were declining due to a lack of  early announcements, my recollection is a lot of the big ones were announced really close to the convention.  Those offsites are I think what fuels the imagination for people who cannot get a ticket to the convention.  You can make a pretty good weekend by just going to the offsites.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2018, 11:55:01 AM »
I agree that the offsites are increasing in scope, attractiveness and popularity. In fact, I even wrote an article about offisites last year at SDCC.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2018, 01:03:55 PM »
I am guessing that offsites have become or have been popular do to the fact that it shows even if u cant get into the con the traffic is a mix of con goers and anyone who was not able to get in but still watch the shows or movies and are able to check out offsites without a badge. i remember i did same in 2016 cause was not able go in but had chance to see offsites like rest off traffic. but i planned out what i wanted to see so was not overloaded running around trying to see everything. time went fast as u busy roaming around enjoying the fun and taking pics or vid of stuff u wanted to show u saw at time. so offsites will always be popular, but guess it depends one what they are at the time. some go cause like show or movie soon and some go cause cause just wanna feel part of the fun and score some goods while they check out the sites and then can say i went to con events even if i wasnt able to go into the con. like a win / win for everyone i guessing.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2018, 01:35:19 PM »

Yes, along with the quality of the experiences, offsites freebies, have actually gotten better than in-panel SDCC offerings.