Author Topic: Star Wars Galaxy Edge opening May 31 @ Disneyland, August 29th @ Disneyworld  (Read 34389 times)

Online perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Will Star Wars land at Disneyland be open before SDCC?
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2019, 06:38:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm from out of state...how hard is it to drive from San Diego to Disneyland? How long would it take? I'm from a rural area but have some experience driving in Chicago traffic and on one vacation around San Diego (non-Comic Con time) but you hear so many horror stories about driving the California freeways. I was thinking of going for a day on the Tuesday after the Con. Do you think everyone else will have the same idea?
I live in San Diego and I'm a Disneyland Annual Passholder.  I live in kind of central country and from my place it's around an hour 20 depending on traffic.  From downtown probably closer to an hour 45ish.  Disneyland is off the 5 N freeway (from San Diego), and if you're coming from downtown it's almost a straight shot on the 5, depending on which freeway you jump on first downtown (or 163-5N).  Driving-wise it's very easy to get to, and with google maps or maps, or whatever smart phone maps app you use you should be fine.  Depending on how early you head up (in the summer you want to get there close to opening), you can possibly still have the Mickey garage open, which isn't far from the freeway exit.  There are signs up around Anaheim to point drivers in the way to the nearest parking; they're the electrical signs that change constantly to update where to go for parking (as opposed to just a stationary sign on a post that might take you to a lot that is full or something).
The Disney employees around Anaheim, and the city, REALLY to relatively well getting traffic to the park as painlessly as possible, IMO.

I know people in my line-up group who are planning on going to D-land the weekend before Comic-Con so I suspect there will be a fair amount of people trying to go then.

BUT...

mid-July is a pretty busy period at Disneyland anyway, so regardless of Comic-Con peeps it's going to be crowded.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2019, 06:38:47 PM »
Ditto  :o

I have caused much unneeded heart attacks on this day and for that I apologize lol

Friends of Comic Cons

Online perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2019, 06:47:08 PM »
I think you'll be fine.  Yes, California drivers are jerks, but just take caution and you'll be fine.  It's about an hour and a half to two hour drive so if possible I'd stay in Anaheim.  Personally, I'm doing the trip BEFORE the con.  So I think there will be a good mix of people doing it before and people doing it after.  And many just not doing it at all.  Pulling a number completely out of my butt here, but I wouldn't expect it'd affect capacity by more than a couple thousand? Which isn't noticeable at Disneyland really.
Hey, now!  My $.02 on CA drivers (or which I'm one so take that as you will) in general circumstances:
1. we're not great at merging, but so are many many other drivers all over the country
2. we go the speed limit or faster ( 8) ).  If you drive the speed limit stick to the lane inside the far slow lane; if you drive slower then the far left slow lane.  The middle lanes are for, like 70-75+ mph on freeways, with the far right passing lane being, well fast and passing.  It's not unusual to have a CHiP or PD riding your tail with you going 75 in a 65, only to annoyingly pass you going 80+ as they go about their business (w/no lights).
3. we generally give you a decent assured clear distance for the most part, and if you use turn signals you'll generally find polite drivers to let you over
4. we have carpool lanes!  This is great if there are 2 or more in the car, and sometimes drivers treat the passing lane in the HOV lanes as the "super fast lane."

Obviously, all bets are off in rush hour, or for special events.  Driving around downtown during Comic-Con is not a good representation of CA drivers (and there are obviously many non-CA drivers in the mix), obviously.  The traffic on freeways typically sucks during rush hours: especially the closer you get to L.A.

IDK; when I moved to Southern CA from OH 21+ years ago one think I really liked was the driving 'attitude.'  It's not for everyone, for sure, but I'd say it's part of the CA character :-P

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
I grew up in California and got my license in California and now I refuse to drive in California lol  But New York and Miami were worse.  So I'll give you that. You aren't the WORST.   ;D

Online perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
Thanks! I'll start looking into hotels!
If you have the $$ to stay at a Disney resort you can position yourself to be ready to 'rush' Galaxy's Edge right when it opens.  Disneyland has a "Magic Morning Hour" for guests of their resorts (Disneyland Hotel Resort; Paradise Pier; Grand Californian), where you can get into a park an hour early.  Galaxy's Edge won't be open early, but Fantasyland will.  The entrance to Galaxy's Edge is the walkway in between Fantasyland (the far corner by the Burger Haus restaurant and snack stands) & Big Thunder Canyon Railroad (on the edge of Frontierland).  You can hang out in Fantasy land the hour early and line up by the far 'exit' and then when the park opens you can skedaddle right to Galaxy's Edge.

Online perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2019, 06:51:43 PM »
I have caused much unneeded heart attacks on this day and for that I apologize lol
Hahahaha; no worries!  It actually jolted me awake which got me going to teach  :P

Online perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
I grew up in California and got my license in California and now I refuse to drive in California lol  But New York and Miami were worse.  So I'll give you that. You aren't the WORST.   ;D
I can see that.  My experience was coming from the midwest where drivers drove me nuts (and the freeways are often both tiny - like two lanes on the major freeway from the state capital to Cincinnati, w/slow drivers & always always construction) to CA where drivers are a bit more aggressive and faster-paced.  CA is more my style, but I get how it's not for everyone

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
This sounds so amazing. Cant wait to check it out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
This sounds so amazing. Cant wait to check it out.

Is this the regular Disneyland app or something special?  Because I've been poking around the regular Disneyland app for months and watching it update with info, but I didn't know it had this ability.  It sounds amazing but I feel like I must have the wrong app for it lol

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
Not a pass holder but sounds like the normal app. Heard a podcast talking about the games and challenges to do while in line at space mountain so think it must be the same that opens up in that area. Also heard about the droid you can get to take around with you to interact with things and people. Kinda like the wand and wizarding world. The more I hear the cooler it sounds. Just REALLY hoping rise of the resistance is open by sdcc time.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
Just REALLY hoping rise of the resistance is open by sdcc time.

PRAYER CIRCLE.  Please please please. 

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
Is this the regular Disneyland app or something special?  Because I've been poking around the regular Disneyland app for months and watching it update with info, but I didn't know it had this ability.  It sounds amazing but I feel like I must have the wrong app for it lol

This is the Play Disney Parks app, which is different than the Disneyland app.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
This is the Play Disney Parks app, which is different than the Disneyland app.

Ah, that makes much more sense.  I was trying to figure out how this app could have such a radically different feature hidden somewhere in it.  I'll go look for this one.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Disneyland website is saying you will need a reservation to go into Galaxy's Edge. Have they said how one would be able to secure a reservation at this time? If it's like all other hard to get Disney reseverations, it's by phone and you just hope like hell you get through. I am also going to assume they will give priority or early bird to D23 and/or Deluxe Passholders.....but who's to say. I am just curious how they are gonna do this......
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
Disneyland website is saying you will need a reservation to go into Galaxy's Edge. Have they said how one would be able to secure a reservation at this time? If it's like all other hard to get Disney reseverations, it's by phone and you just hope like hell you get through. I am also going to assume they will give priority or early bird to D23 and/or Deluxe Passholders.....but who's to say. I am just curious how they are gonna do this......
my daughter is curious how they are going to do this as well. she keeps bugging me to be on the ball for when they do. she knows she is too slow, and i might have a better chance getting her a reservation when the time comes. LOL ;)
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018