Author Topic: 50 cons in 50 states quest - help needed  (Read 2803 times)

Offline ninjagoblin

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 8
50 cons in 50 states quest - help needed
« on: March 24, 2019, 04:46:35 PM »
As i don't have my own personal Bat-Signal my next best option is to come here and put the call out. I recently gave myself the goal to hit one Con in every state. Some states clearly will be easier to hit than others as their big cons are well known in and out of the Comic-Con community. Cali has San Diego Comic Con, New York has New York Comic Con, Washington has Emerald City con to name a few. What others can the community suggest?
It may not be possible but I'm looking for cons that would be worth the cost of a plane ticket and hotel stay. So for example, living near San Francisco, as I do, I might suggest Silicon Valley Con but not East Bay Comic Con.
I hope this quest is easier than Gert's key quest.
My superpower is the ability to rationalize anything.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: 50 cons in 50 states quest - help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 08:34:03 PM »
This is a great idea!  Fun way to see the country, too!

Here in Arizona the Phoenix Fan Fusion (formerly Phoenix Comic Con) is the biggest convention, and is held in late May.  There are a number of smaller cons as well, including Taiyou Con and Ace Comic Con.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:52:05 PM »

Offline ninjagoblin

• Freebie Table
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 08:58:10 PM »
Swiggity, i'll add it to the list.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 05:09:48 AM »
Rhode Island actually has a pretty big one in November:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Massachusetts has a few mainly in Boston, Pax East (mainly gaming) and Fan Expo Boston (I haven’t been to either).

Hope you have fun!

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 06:37:50 AM »
The best bet for Missouri would be Planet Comicon in Kansas City (which is actually in Missouri, not Kansas).  I really really like it: good size, run very well, good mix of comic artists and celebrity talent, decent offerings for after con entertainment/parties in the Power and Light District right by the convention center.  This year's is this weekend-the same time as WonderCon (and C2E2 before it changed dates), but it normally doesn't conflict with either.  I was debating making the trek out to WonderCon this year but since Planet was the same time I chose to stay closer to home and go to Planet, and I'm not even slightly upset about it, which shows how much I like Planet Comicon  8)

The St. Louis side usually has a Wizard World show come (but...eh), and a few smaller local cons.  Anime STL is apparently really fun if you like anime and cosplay-haven't been myself though. 

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 09:37:53 AM »
Maryland has Baltimore Comic Con in October.

Washington D.C. has Otakon in July. I'm sure there are probably others in D.C.

Offline AlaskaRainbow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 12:01:32 PM »
I live in Anchorage, AK and last year was the first for "Arctic Comic Con Alaska". It's pretty small and since last year was the first they have a lot of details to work out which I hope they have fixed for this year. (Too many to list.) This year it's May 4-5 at the Dena'ina Center downtown.  arcticcomiccon.com
If you were already visiting Alaska it could be fun but I definitely don't think it's worth the trip just for that Con. Just thought I would add to your list so you're aware.

There is also another small con - "Senshi-con" which is predominantly Anime, they haven't announced the dates for this year.  senshicon.org 

We're not totally without culture, Anchorage does have a comic book store - called Bosco's.

Hope you have fun on your quest! :)

Offline ShannonCooper87

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 02:04:57 PM »
Creation Entertainment do Con all over the country for different fandoms. Here is a list for the upcoming one for 2019.

Atlanta, GA
Dec. 14-15, 2019 - Stranger Con, A Salute to the TV series Stranger Things

Burbank, CA (Los Angeles Area)
Jun. 7-9, 2019 - Official General Hospital Convention
Oct. 19-20, 2019 - Giving Back Show:A Supernatural Official Convention
Nov. 9-10, 2019 - The Vampire Diaries/The Originals Official Convention

Chicago, IL
Apr. 12-14, 2019 - Supernatural Official Convention
Jun. 1-2, 2019 - Riverdale Official Convention
Jun. 21-23, 2019 - Gateway: An Anniversary Salute to Stargate
Jun. 28-30, 2019 - The Vampire Diaries/The Originals Official Convention
Oct. 5-6, 2019 - Stranger Con, A Salute to the TV series Stranger Things

Dallas, TX
Jun. 8-9, 2019 - Riverdale Official Convention
Jun. 21-23, 2019 - Supernatural Official Convention
Nov. 16-17, 2019 - Stranger Con, A Salute to the TV series Stranger Things

Jacksonville, FL
Nov. 22-24, 2019 - Supernatural Official Convention

Las Vegas, NV
Mar. 28-31, 2019 - Supernatural Official Convention
Jul. 31 - Aug. 4, 2019 - Star Trek Official Convention

Los Angeles, CA
Aug. 17-18, 2019 - Salute to Lucifer the TV Series

Secaucus, NJ
May 4-5, 2019 - Stranger Con, A Salute to the TV series Stranger Things
Sep. 27-29, 2019 - Supernatural Official Convention

Toronto, ON Canada
Oct. 11-13, 2019 - Supernatural Official Convention

Vancouver, BC
Aug. 23-25, 2019 - Supernatural Official Convention

Washington DC
Nov. 1-3, 2019 - Supernatural Official Convention

Whippany, NJ
Jun. 29-30, 2019 - Riverdale Official Convention
Sep. 6-8, 2019 - The Vampire Diaries/The Originals Official Convention

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 03:38:35 PM »
Info on conventions in the heartland:

For Nebraska/Iowa, check out You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (formerly O Comic Con ::) ). O stands for Omaha, NE, but the con itself is technically across the river in Council Bluffs, IA. It looks promising and I've known people who went who say it's a good time. It's on my radar but I'm personally waiting to go until it gets big enough to move to the Omaha Convention Center.

Other than that, I don't think Nebraska has an actual comic convention (Grand Comic Con in Grand Island doesn't qualify) but if you like Anime cons, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login looks pretty respectable.

For Wisconsin, I would have said You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login in Madison which I've been to and packs a big punch for its size, but it looks like they had to cancel 2019. :( Hopefully they can come back on for 2020, though. If not, next best (if you like anime conventions) is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Wyoming...you have exactly one option: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login but it's brand new so I can't vouch for it or not (and honestly, it probably isn't a destination con). There used to be a Cheyenne Comic Con but that one went down in flames.

For Colorado, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (formerly Denver Comic Con) is a no-brainer.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 04:35:08 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 03:44:43 PM »
GenCon in Indianapolis!

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 03:45:23 PM »
Hello!  Hawaii has many awesome conventions, but the two I love the most are KawaiiKon and Comic Con Honolulu.  The former is anime oriented, the latter is science fiction oriented.  The problem with the latter is that it's usually 1-2 weeks after SDCC, so you'll be traveling a lot.  It's convenient for me because I live here, but it feels weird doing SDCC and then a much smaller convention immediately after.  But still, I love them both a lot and the people who run them (same people for each!) really care about the convention going community.

I've written some articles about each.  Here are a few:

I also wrote a summary here on FoCC about Hawaii Convention Culture.

If you come out here for a con, I'd love to show you around.  Hit me up!

Offline ninjagoblin

• Freebie Table
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 06:11:44 PM »
Funny story, this was the first out of state con I found when I did my original search. Hitting this one would let me knock a few things off the ol-bucket list. And hearing its a good one just adds to it. Thanks!

I live in Anchorage, AK and last year was the first for "Arctic Comic Con Alaska". It's pretty small and since last year was the first they have a lot of details to work out which I hope they have fixed for this year. (Too many to list.) This year it's May 4-5 at the Dena'ina Center downtown.  arcticcomiccon.com
If you were already visiting Alaska it could be fun but I definitely don't think it's worth the trip just for that Con. Just thought I would add to your list so you're aware.

There is also another small con - "Senshi-con" which is predominantly Anime, they haven't announced the dates for this year.  senshicon.org 

We're not totally without culture, Anchorage does have a comic book store - called Bosco's.

Hope you have fun on your quest! :)

Offline ninjagoblin

• Freebie Table
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 06:17:29 PM »
Thanks, Hawaii is definitely going to happen. As soon as i mentioned it my wife said "WE will have a lot of fun" as opposed to the usual "You go have fun".  :P

Hello!  Hawaii has many awesome conventions, but the two I love the most are KawaiiKon and Comic Con Honolulu.  The former is anime oriented, the latter is science fiction oriented.  The problem with the latter is that it's usually 1-2 weeks after SDCC, so you'll be traveling a lot.  It's convenient for me because I live here, but it feels weird doing SDCC and then a much smaller convention immediately after.  But still, I love them both a lot and the people who run them (same people for each!) really care about the convention going community.

I've written some articles about each.  Here are a few:

I also wrote a summary here on FoCC about Hawaii Convention Culture.

If you come out here for a con, I'd love to show you around.  Hit me up!

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 06:19:58 PM »
Thanks, Hawaii is definitely going to happen. As soon as i mentioned it my wife said "WE will have a lot of fun" as opposed to the usual "You go have fun".  :P

Heck yeah!  Seriously when you get to the planning stage hit me up.  I love showing people around.  I do not have a car sadly but I love meeting up with people when they come out here and visit.  We're so far flung it takes a lot to get people out here haha.

Offline AlaskaRainbow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 07:14:24 PM »
I would make sure it’s not the only reason to visit AK - last year’s Arctic Comic Con was very meh. But, there’s lots of stuff to do around here. I work for Visit Anchorage (the tourist bureau) so if you want to message me your address I can send you lots of info & brochures.