Author Topic: 2018 SDCC Exclusives: The Portal  (Read 42931 times)

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
Re: 2018 SDCC Exclusives: The Portal
« Reply #510 on: July 26, 2018, 08:29:06 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That's a good point, I had forgotten that there was text saying things would be "returned to inventory."

The notion of a penalty is an interesting one. If they gave you so many points to spend in selecting things, then a failure to claim one could result in a loss of points in the future, and then reset if you have a year where you claim everything. However I think penalties get problematic unless you have a reasonable period in which to decline things and if they don't give you an adequate amount of information about how much time you would need to commit to in order to claim something. There's also the issue of people not finding out times until the day before a signing, people who won things on days where they didn't have badges, etc.
You have a good point about providing an option to decline and maybe given enough time a supplemental draw can be done.

The trouble with the signings I found was the lack of information for the times they will happen when you are making the selection. If you have a conflict in your schedule you do not have the option to decline beforehand.

Proving an option to decline would be fair however there should be a system put in place to redistribute or have standbys. There was an assumption by one person I talked to at the WB booth that no one would pass up on their winning ticket - that was not the case it turns out.

It is a shame when fans are shut out of signings after a number of winners do not show up. That is a huge lost opportunity for a fan to meet the cast of their favorite series or an upcoming movie.

Buying an autographed poster afterwards is not the same IMO. Meeting the actors and creatives even if it is for a few minutes is great opportunity for those who are interested.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #511 on: July 26, 2018, 09:39:38 AM »
Buying an autographed poster afterwards is not the same IMO. Meeting the actors and creatives even if it is for a few minutes is great opportunity for those who are interested.

Exactly.  To me meeting the cast is the big win, not the autographs themselves.  The autographs end up in a box never to be seen again.  Generally, when presented with the opportunity for a selfie or an autograph, I ask for a handshake instead.  At my signing I practice the same rule as dealing with wild dolphins in New Zealand.  Don't initiate contact but if they do it's OK.  At my signing one of the cast members extended a hand.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #512 on: Today at 01:54:37 AM »

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #512 on: July 26, 2018, 10:05:16 AM »
Exactly.  To me meeting the cast is the big win, not the autographs themselves.  The autographs end up in a box never to be seen again.  Generally, when presented with the opportunity for a selfie or an autograph, I ask for a handshake instead.  At my signing I practice the same rule as dealing with wild dolphins in New Zealand.  Don't initiate contact but if they do it's OK.  At my signing one of the cast members extended a hand.
It was awesome meeting and chatting with Tom Ellis at the Lucifer signing, but I did put the poster up on our wall already. Of course, we have been collecting the Lucifer posters, so that might be why. I did see people shaking his hand, but I didn't. I just chatted about #SaveLucifer and he thanked me for helping to make the renewal happen.
Ang

Offline Ngokatie85

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #513 on: July 26, 2018, 03:13:37 PM »
The post on reddit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks for the tip Sam.

Offline kat_sydney

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #514 on: August 04, 2018, 06:27:59 PM »
You have a good point about providing an option to decline and maybe given enough time a supplemental draw can be done.

The trouble with the signings I found was the lack of information for the times they will happen when you are making the selection. If you have a conflict in your schedule you do not have the option to decline beforehand.

Proving an option to decline would be fair however there should be a system put in place to redistribute or have standbys. There was an assumption by one person I talked to at the WB booth that no one would pass up on their winning ticket - that was not the case it turns out.

It is a shame when fans are shut out of signings after a number of winners do not show up. That is a huge lost opportunity for a fan to meet the cast of their favorite series or an upcoming movie.

Re: lack of info.  Particularly with the WB/DC movies - even when you got a wristband you didn't know what movie it was for.
For WB, they listed on the flyer they gave out at their booth what the movies were, but if you weren't seeking out that information you wouldn't have known.  There may have been some people who would have loved Fantastic Beasts but had no interest in the Lego Movie for example.  (Not sure if you found out the morning of the wristband pickup for the WB movies, but for the DC movies, the wristband literally said: Movie Signing #1). So even if there was a decline option in the system, it wouldn't have really worked for those signings since you wouldn't know what you were actually declining.