Author Topic: Comic-Con Museum, Center for Popular Culture  (Read 78050 times)

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
Re: Comic-Con Center for Popular Culture
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 12:26:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ditto, only my family lives about 25 minutes from downtown San Diego.  I can't fathom why at least one of us, or another family of local friends we go to comic-con w/every year, didn't get the survey. 
We have annual Balboa Park passes (all the museums for free w/the annual pass thing) already which is either really weird to not contact us, or maybe they figure we already have passes so we're already all-in?
Maybe it was one of those CCI lotteries and we both lost. :-\

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 12:36:16 PM »
Ok...these replies have piqued my curiosity.  Any of you numbers folk want to create a poll to investigate how many of our members have/have not received an invitation to this poll?   I wonder if CCI looked at some of our demographic member ID info, or was it simply random?  In this day and age, I am guessing it was not random....lol

general age group (junior, military, senior...)
in San Diego/outside of San Diego
International
Anybody who did not attend last year, but has gone in the past?
...other info?

Oh, well...just a thought.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Comic-Con Museum, Center for Popular Culture
« Reply #32 on: Today at 02:03:38 AM »

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 12:41:08 PM »
Ok...these replies have piqued my curiosity.  Any of you numbers folk want to create a poll to investigate how many of our members have/have not received an invitation to this poll?   I wonder if CCI looked at some of our demographic member ID info, or was it simply random?  In this day and age, I am guessing it was not random....lol

general age group (junior, military, senior...)
in San Diego/outside of San Diego
International
Anybody who did not attend last year, but has gone in the past?
...other info?

Oh, well...just a thought.

Also, are they registered to volunteer this year/did they successfully volunteer last year.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »
Yes, as i check through the comments and remember i got the survey , i did have chance volunteer last year and do so again this year. not sure how they picked to do the survey but i guess they sent it to random ids or almost everyone for any input or insight to the new museum they planning to open sometime later.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2018, 10:13:33 AM »
Yes, as i check through the comments and remember i got the survey , i did have chance volunteer last year and do so again this year. not sure how they picked to do the survey but i guess they sent it to random ids or almost everyone for any input or insight to the new museum they planning to open sometime later.
I hate to sound like I'm whining (even though I likely am whining in this case?) but as a local that will frequent this place year-round, who already goes down to Balboa Park multiple times a month, I would love to give input.  Maybe I should look into giving my own input somewhere locally?  Or maybe since I'm already a Balboa Park passholder CCI knows I'm likely already all-in so it doesn't matter much?
Or maybe I should stop whining and get on with this?  Probably that one 8)

Regardless, I am really excited about this.  It's encouraging that the curators seem to want to go well beyond the typical 'artifacts-on-display' type of museum and I legitimately can't wait to see what the Pop Culture Center ends up being!

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2018, 12:14:43 PM »
I hate to sound like I'm whining (even though I likely am whining in this case?) but as a local that will frequent this place year-round, who already goes down to Balboa Park multiple times a month, I would love to give input.  Maybe I should look into giving my own input somewhere locally?  Or maybe since I'm already a Balboa Park passholder CCI knows I'm likely already all-in so it doesn't matter much?
Or maybe I should stop whining and get on with this?  Probably that one 8)

Regardless, I am really excited about this.  It's encouraging that the curators seem to want to go well beyond the typical 'artifacts-on-display' type of museum and I legitimately can't wait to see what the Pop Culture Center ends up being!

Why not just email CCI with your input and/or ask them for the survey?
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2018, 12:21:38 PM »
I did end up getting the survey. I am a local to SD. I have volunteered for the past several years and was a normal attendee until last year when I went as Press and this year I am a registered creative pro.

I got an email again the other day asking if I wanted to sign up to be on their mailing list for further input as they continue. It said they received over 4000 returned questionnaires. Don't know how many they sent, but 4000 is a really small number relative to all the badges registered. I'm guessing it was completely random. I know people all over the place who got one. This is definitely not something to take personally.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2018, 12:25:05 PM »
Im guessing even if anyone who didnt get survey will always try email or give input anyway possible. for any place they get feedback at anytime before or after they have opened, cause they have feedback cards or can try talk to those in charge and ask for something to give feedback at anytime. they will want traffic from anyone possible cause if no traffic then no bank to keep a place open for any reason.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2018, 12:33:41 PM »
If the survey sampling was completely random, I figure they will let others respond.  Part of me wonders though, if they wanted to open it to everyone who has a member ID...why didn't they simply email everyone?  they would have received way more than the 6,000 responses the reported. If they have a statistical sampling they are working with, then they probably will not want to send out surveys to anyone who asks, to keep their sampling parameters? 

My son got an email and he has never been to a CCI event.  This will be his first one..soooo....hmmmm?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:48:32 PM by marcia29 »
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2018, 12:46:11 PM »
At some point when it opens, they will get variety of traffic even traffic who may have never been to the con but have a interest in the theme and all. so they will get more feedback im guessing over time.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2018, 09:01:46 AM »
Two new job openings:

Comic-Con Center for Popular Culture

The upcoming Comic-Con Center for Popular Culture has two current job openings. Click on the links below for complete details and to apply for these jobs.

Director of Corporate Philanthrophy
Click here for details

Director of Major Gifts
Click here for details

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »
Back for more:

The forthcoming Comic-Con Center for Popular Culture has two current job openings.

Director of Education
Click here for complete details and to apply for this job.

Manager of Membership Programs

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »
Future Grant Writer, take note:

The forthcoming Comic-Con Center for Popular Culture has two current job openings.

Grant Writer

From the 2018 badge box booklet, newsletter sign up: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:27:14 AM by AzT »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2018, 10:16:34 AM »
What have we here:

Sunday July 22, 2018 12:00pm - 1:00pm  Room 29AB

Staff and special panelists will present a behind-the-scenes look at plans for the upcoming Comic-Con Museum in Balboa Park.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2018, 11:07:21 AM »

COMIC-CON 2018 TOUCAN TIP OF THE DAY! #23: Announcing the Comic-Con Museum!

Hold onto your fandom. It’s happening. Plans are underway to capture the excitement and magic of Comic-Con in a year-round attraction located in San Diego’s historic Balboa Park. The Comic-Con Museum will encourage an appreciation of comics and related popular arts through exhibits, programs and events drawn from across the Comic-Con universe.

Considered the cultural heart of San Diego, Balboa Park is already home to numerous museums, galleries and theaters along with the famous San Diego Zoo. Now, with the help of the City of San Diego, CCI is in the process of converting the 1935 Federal Building into what is planned to be a world-class museum by day, and a very unique fan community venue by night.

Want to find out more about this exciting new project, and contribute your ideas to the vision for the museum? Come visit us at Comic-Con 2018!

Booth #1714

We want this to be a fan-driven project and will be seeking advice and input from the community of Comic-Con attendees as the museum is designed and operated. Visit Booth #1714 to submit your own suggestions and ideas for the museum. Everyone participating in the brainstorming exercise will receive a free pressed penny in an exclusive and collectible design. There will also be special early-adopter membership deals, and you can enter a drawing to win limited edition number 1 of the 2018 San Diego Comic-Con exclusive Mondo print, signed by the artist Matt Taylor.

Panel

In Room 29AB on Sunday July 22, from 12:00 to 1:00 PM, Museum staff will present a panel titled Inside the Comic-Con Museum, giving a behind-the-scenes look at plans for the upcoming Comic-Con Museum. The panel will also include an announcement about the Ultimate Comic-Con 2019 Experience.

Unable to attend Comic-Con 2018? Visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to subscribe to Museum Insider a monthly e-newsletter that will keep you up-to-date with future progress on the museum project.

Check back for another Toucan Tip tomorrow here on Toucan, the only OFFICIAL SDCC blog! Bookmark Toucan and the Comic-Con Front Page for the latest updates for Comic-Con International 2018!

Posted on Jul 11, 2018
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:10:25 AM by AzT »