Author Topic: Slow Site  (Read 6655 times)

Offline retired

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1048
Re: Slow Site
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 08:38:52 AM »
I had to take the site offline to get a good backup of the database. Otherwise the backup kept failing. This shouldn't happen again. Well be proactive with upgrades so we can get them done while keeping the site operational on the old server. It's just in this case the server was locking up so I had no choice but to take it offline

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Offline Resin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 01:57:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The server has been upgraded. Hopefully that solves the performance issues. Let us know if the site has any problems today.

The forum recently moved to AWS, correct? I thought they were meant to be incredibly stable.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 08:13:47 AM »

Offline retired

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1048
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 02:17:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The forum recently moved to AWS, correct? I thought they were meant to be incredibly stable.

I am not sure how much tech babble you want, but ill give you some details about this situation.

AWS as an infrastructure is very stable. However, I had us start at the bottom level as far as server size goes. Didn't want us to have to spend more than we needed to.
We were on the free "micro" tier for servers. now were on the Medium size server. More processor cores, more memory.

We also had what appeared to be a DDOS attack against wordpress/apache. I am not certain though, I went the easy route and updated to the latest LAMP Stack (Lamp is the pre-built server that runs on top of the "hardware" that AWS provides us), and changed all the passwords. Maybe some script kiddie was mad that they missed the deadline to join a buying group...

Unfortunately no server is stable if you use up all the CPU or Memory.  Ill be monitoring the processes running in the lamp stack closely, and any exploiters will be ... dealt with... muhahahaha.
Anyways that was it. CPU usage at 100%, Fix = update all software to fix exploits, and upgrade the hardware to increase resources.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 02:24:51 PM »
Amperage!   Voltage!   Ohms!   Schrodinger's Cat!  Heisenberg!

I didn't want to be left out of the tech talk.   :P

Offline kohyuta

• Ballroom 20
  • Be water, my friend.
    • World Gone Geek
  • Liked: 226
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 02:38:40 PM »
Thank goodness the slowness was a relatively easy fix of upgrading & updating (I always loved the LAMP acronym). Could've been worse... he could've had to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow, which we all know isn't the easiest thing to do ;) Glad you're on our side, [member=1233]jopari[/member]! :)
-----
Be Water, My Friend