Author Topic: Free Comic Book Day 2018  (Read 5488 times)

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
Free Comic Book Day 2018
« on: December 17, 2017, 07:56:31 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Free Comic Book Day 2018 Gold Sponsor Comics Announced
The Free Comic Book Day (FCBD) Committee has selected the twelve Gold Sponsor comic book titles for the comic book industry's most anticipated annual event, Free Comic Book Day. FCBD happens each year on the first Saturday in May at participating comic book shops worldwide, with next year's event taking place on May 5th, 2018.

The titles were curated by over twenty comic shop retailers who make up the FCBD Selection Committee and the comics feature something for everyone: from superheroes, to popular films and television shows, to beloved video game franchises, and all-ages favorites. The Gold Sponsor titles come from the industry’s top publishers, including DC Entertainment, Marvel Comics, Dark Horse Comics, IDW Publishing, Image Comics, Archie Comics, BOOM! Studios, First Second Books, Joe Books, Oni Press, Titan Comics, and VIZ Media.

"With 91 titles submitted from over 70 publishers, the FCBD Retailer Committee had to make some tough choices for this year's Free Comic Book Day," said FCBD spokesperson Dan Manser, "but we think retailers and fans alike will be thrilled with the sponsor titles chosen for 2018. Free Comic Book Day is the comics industry’s most important event-a day to celebrate comic books and comic shops, and to introduce family and friends to the comics medium we all know and love. It's important that the titles reflect the varied interests of people coming into stores these days-and we believe there’s a comic book for everyone this Free Comic Book Day!”

The full line-up of this year's comic books will be announced next week, when thirty-eight additional FCBD Silver titles will be announced on Tuesday, December 19th. A complete listing of all fifty FCBD titles, as well as two education titles about the industry, will also be found in the January issue of Diamond Comic Distributors' PREVIEWS catalog, on sale at all comic book shops December 27th, 2017.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Free Comic Book Day 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 08:57:54 AM »
Unfortunately, the people who run my LCBS are retiring and they couldn't find anyone to buy out their business, so they are closing down in February. The next closest LCBS is 30-45 minutes away. I'm not sure if we'll get there this FCBD... :(

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:03:06 PM »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 10:37:53 AM »
Unfortunately, the people who run my LCBS are retiring and they couldn't find anyone to buy out their business, so they are closing down in February. The next closest LCBS is 30-45 minutes away. I'm not sure if we'll get there this FCBD... :(

Have u tried a comic shop locator? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login , hope this helps to find any close by if any. there may be other ways u can try get them from some shops by mail and may only have to pay shipping if able say which ones u want or try get and have any pulled and shipped to u by chance. variety ways can try help but not sure what u really wanna do to plan ahead.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 01:12:44 PM »
Have u tried a comic shop locator? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login , hope this helps to find any close by if any. there may be other ways u can try get them from some shops by mail and may only have to pay shipping if able say which ones u want or try get and have any pulled and shipped to u by chance. variety ways can try help but not sure what u really wanna do to plan ahead.

Yep, I've used the locator for the past few years. The only LCBS anywhere near me is the one in my town that is shutting down. But thanks for the info.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »
The shops by us have kind of been evaporating too, though one at least did get taken over when the owner retired. I'm hoping our local library participates again this year, thinking that's probably our best option.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 10:52:32 AM »
Np with the help, i know where i live now we had some random shops that closed down over the years for one reason or another. but thankfull was able to find any just a bus ride and walk away from home, one reason to get out besides just the job lol. im guessing unless shops get the proper amount of traffic or sales then they i guess close cause of that or other reasons. i know it easy to shop for any on online but i guees i am one of many who wanna go to a shop and see what possible and then go back at random times to get any possible that another shop didnt have. they all operate different in ways by buying and saleing comics, and many other things. and i dont really get like attitude about what i have got but more like learn about comics some stuff i knew and some i not know but never any bashing of any which is cool and basic sale and anything i know that not come out right to what i know of something and they check and fix np. so all places go to most are respectful and some chatter about stuff so all good.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 09:31:55 AM »

First part is to decide if any of the comics worth travelling or eBaying!

List of comics revealed!

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:07:41 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »
I by chance went to a shop last year and got some i thought was worth getting besides any free info and bought some comics at same time that i wanted to get so the trip wasnt wasted at time. i dont do the ebay thing but guessing some do for profit for anyone who want and may not have a shop close by so try buy them online if any were sold. not a real fan of ebay but know from otehrs some seem to ask too much for stuff that they can get cheaper at a shop close by and by chance it on sale so save even more at time. but have seen stuff on ebay that i know i can get at a shop. since i know not many comics are worth a bank load then it only worthy what anyone iswilling to pay for it at time.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 11:08:59 PM »
List

Free Comic Book Day 2018 Gold Sponsor Comics

RIVERDALE  Archie Comics

MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS SPECIAL BOOM! Studios

OVERWATCH/BLACK HAMMER Dark Horse Comics    

TOP SECRET GOLD BOOK DC Entertainment

COMICS FRIENDS FOREVER :01 First Second

TRANSFORMERS: UNICRON: THE DARKEST HOUR #0 IDW Publishing

BARRIER #1 Image Comics

DISNEY PRINCESS: ARIEL SPOTLIGHT Joe Books

MARVEL AVENGERS/CAPTAIN AMERICA Marvel Comics

INVADER ZIM: FLOOPSY BLOOPS SHMOOPSY Oni Press

DOCTOR WHO #0 Titan Comics    

POKÉMON: SUN AND MOON / POKÉMON: HORIZON Viz Media

Free Comic Book Day 2018 Silver Sponsor Comics

STRANGERS IN PARADISE XXV #1 Abstract Studios    

MIRACULOUS ADVENTURES OF LADYBUG AND CAT NOIR Action Lab Entertainment

RELAY #0 AfterShock Comics    

HOWARD LOVECRAFT’S  BIG BOOK OF SUMMER FUN! Arcana Studios

WORLDS OF ASPEN ANNIVERSARY EDITION Aspen Comics    

LADY MECHANIKA Benitez Productions

BONGO COMICS FREE-FOR-ALL Bongo Comics    

ADVENTURE TIME: FIONNA AND CAKE SPECIAL BOOM! Studios

DIE KITTY DIE: I LOVE YOU TO DEATH Chapterhouse Publishing    

INVASION PROLOGUE Chapterhouse Publishing

THE LEGEND OF KORRA/NINTENDO’S ARMS Dark Horse Comics    

SILVER #1 Dark Planet Comics

BOB’S BURGERS #1 D.E./Dynamite Entertainment    

JAMES BOND: VARGR #1 D.E./Dynamite Entertainment

BERLIN #1 Drawn & Quarterly    

WORLD’S GREATEST CARTOONISTS Fantagraphics

GRAPHIX SPOTLIGHT: SPARKS Graphix

THE METABARON BOOK 3: THE META-GUARDIANESS AND THE TECHNO-BARON PREVIEW Humanoids

STAR WARS ADVENTURES IDW Publishing    

STREET ANGEL’S DOG ONE-SHOT Image Comics

GHOST IN THE SHELL: GLOBAL NEURAL NETWORK PREVIEW Kodansha Comics    

THE WORMWORLD SAGA: THE JOURNEY BEGINS Lion Forge

INFINITY WATCH/AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Marvel Comics    

THE TICK New England Comics

SHADOW ROADS #1 Oni Press    

THE ONLY LIVING BOY Papercutz

2000 AD REGENED Rebellion    

SCOUT COMICS PRESENTS: THE MALL Scout Comics

STARBURNS PRESENTS #1 Starburns Industries Press    

A BRIEF HISTORY OF TANK GIRL Titan Comics

THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS: ZERO’S JOURNEY CHAPTER 0 Tokyopop    

ULTRA STREET FIGHTER II #1 Udon Entertainment

SPONGEBOB FREESTYLE FUNNIES United Plankton Pictures    

SHADOWMAN SPECIAL Valiant Entertainment

MAXWELL’S DEMONS #1 Vault Comics    

MY HERO ACADEMIA/RWBY Viz Media

CRUSH Yen Press    

MALIKA: CREED & FURY YouNeek Studios

Free Comic Book Day 2018 Educational Tools

DEFEND COMICS Comic Book Legal Defense Fund
OVERSTREET GUIDE TO COLLECTING Gemstone Publishing

edit:

want

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 08:47:31 AM »
I am not going to be able to unsee that 3 Stooges - Valiant mashup. Someone poke me in the eyes!

TOP SECRET GOLD BOOK from DC? How mysterious. Hoping for more Ambush Bug, but I'm sure it'll be Batman or Harley.

Interesting to see BARRIER #1 on there under Image, it's a great limited series but so far I think it's only been released digitally on the Panel Syndicate "name your price" site.

Maxwell's Demons has the best title name imho.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 10:41:22 AM »
Depending on what shops close by are doing the event , i may have to go to ea place lol if a limit or just get cause like cover and any info free then go to next shop and get any i can or want most and next lol so incase any i want the shop not got or run out then get try for next shop and see how it goes lol. busy day but know ahead what possible like sales and all do to free comic day.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 10:48:41 AM »
I by chance went to a shop last year and got some i thought was worth getting besides any free info and bought some comics at same time that i wanted to get so the trip wasnt wasted at time. i dont do the ebay thing but guessing some do for profit for anyone who want and may not have a shop close by so try buy them online if any were sold. not a real fan of ebay but know from otehrs some seem to ask too much for stuff that they can get cheaper at a shop close by and by chance it on sale so save even more at time. but have seen stuff on ebay that i know i can get at a shop. since i know not many comics are worth a bank load then it only worthy what anyone iswilling to pay for it at time.

Exactly.  For me, the trip to my favorite local comic shop is NEVER wasted!  My local shop (So Cal Comics in San Diego) saves comics all year that don't sell and then puts them out for free in addition to the FCBD comics the publishers send.  One year I got the Death of Superman run for free (not in mint, of course).  They have independent dealers booths in the parkinglot selling art, sketches, toys, etc.  I usually make a morning of it with my boys where we get free comics, maybe pick up a toy or two, buy some books on my 'to buy' list that I'd procrastinated buying (like, this coming FCBD I can see myself picking up the Annotated Watchmen that DC put out recently that wasn't a must-by, per say, when it came out but something I want eventually).  They always have a virtual 'museum' of golden and silver age classics.  It's not uncommon to see an Action Comics #1, or Detective Comics #27.  Plus seemingly all the most meaningful 'big moment' books (first appearance of Wonder-Woman, Thanos, The Flash, TONS of #1's, etc).  A few years back I saw someone purchase the first appearance of The Flash for quite a lot of money (I watched them haggle over thousands of dollars).  The comic shop is awesome anyway, but it's always extra fun on FCBD, even knowing the free comics aren't a big deal at all.  NEVER a waste of time!

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 11:05:37 AM »
The shop u mention, im guessing it the same one i go to at times. seen posting of past free comic day and they had the bat mobile on show for readers to see and check out in past i guess. so cool i try go swing by at event and see what gems can score besides any freebies and all.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 11:08:49 AM »
The shop u mention, im guessing it the same one i go to at times. seen posting of past free comic day and they had the bat mobile on show for readers to see and check out in past i guess. so cool i try go swing by at event and see what gems can score besides any freebies and all.
That's the one!

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 09:34:24 PM »
Speaking of Spongebob...you GOT to make sure you know where to go on May 5th! :D I got youuu, use our store locator to find a participating comic store near you: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  #FCBD18