Author Topic: A new auto signing procedure for the WB at SDCC?  (Read 40878 times)

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
Re: A new auto signing procedure for the WB at SDCC?
« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2018, 06:12:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
you know something we have done this to ourselves, signing  are just the start, because people find ways to cheat, when i first went in 2013 going at 4am it was good, I was one the 1st 100 for so people, 2017 i would have to line up at 8pm or earlier the day before, look at hall H were there not line forming 48 hours before  the panel, whats next starting  the sunday panel line on thursday
I slightly disagree. We did not do this to ourselves. The process evolved without adequate controls manage abuses and manage logistical ineffienciesThe studios shifted the draws to occur early in the morning. When I first attended in 2012 and then in 2013 the drawings were held throughout the day 1 to 3 hours before the signing. There was no overnight camping except for the exhibit hall exclusive hunters and the studio booth draws for signings like Marvel.

Once the signings shifted to the early morning it channeled everyone interested to the EE line.

It didn’t have to get to this point

They could easily revert back to that model for autographs which would lead to a decrease in the overnight line, ADA abuse/cutting, cutting from the marina, and the spot holding abuses.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2018, 08:03:37 PM »
Years ago before the sdcc con got so popular there was no camping out and u was able to catch a panels of movies. i was able see stuff of ang lee hulk, terminator 3, daredevil movie, and xmen -not sure which but one of them. but times have changed so much and not sure but can try catch any panel this year if all goes right and nt busy thurs or sun by chance. i can skip the signings unless they in sails area but depend who is there that i wanna see at the time. so really not sure how they gona do things till they say so after wondercon this year i guess. and so far it mixed with the lottery stuff i read so far .

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #167 on: Today at 02:22:42 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #167 on: March 22, 2018, 09:51:56 AM »
There are benefits and drawbacks to both systems, but I still prefer the existing system. I have spent the night in line and pulled losing tickets, but it's still better to me than entering alongside 40,000 other people where my chances are less than 1%.

The benefit to the random drawings:
a) It will eliminate the people who bring their kids and have them pull over and over again.
b) It will eliminate people skipping in line.
c) It will eliminate massive lines and the logistical nightmare they have every morning with the drawings.

Both a) and b) are big deals for me - last year someone let 17 people in the Marvel line in front of me and when I complained to them one of them threatened me (his exact words: 'there are 15 of us, and 1 of you. What are you going to do?'). When I told the Marvel people (and the line people at Marvel are awesome, btw - they probably have the hardest job on the con floor because that booth is a non-stop madhouse) they couldn't remove them because they didn't see it happen.

So the random drawings would eliminate me seeing the same 10 people who somehow are first in line and pull the winning Game of Thrones tickets every year, the exhibitors who win the big Marvel signings by being over there before the floor ever opens, or the people who run from the bay and get into the Funko line and I like that. But I also don't like the idea that my con experience is determined by a random draw a month before I ever get there. If I want to put the effort in to wait and pull for autographs, that is my con experience. I get that my con itself is already determined by random chance as to whether or not I even get tickets or a hotel, and I get the people who say there is so much going on and autographs are a small part of the overall experience, but I go there primarily to get famous people to sign their names and with this change I would be lucky to win one or two things a year and that ends SDCC for me.

I am close to 'retiring' anyway - I am about to have a new mortgage so I need to find places to save money, I have a bad hip, the people I go with are tired of going after 17 years - so this would just speed up the inevitable anyway. But that's my rambling 2¢.
Do you just/mainly go to Comic-Con for autographs?
I've mostly been pretty 'meh' about autographs, and Bruce Campbell solidified that with his thoughts about fans in "If Chins Could Kill."  It's not like you really get have quality time, or even really talk to celebrities when signing.  If you're a huge fan of a property I can see getting, say, a poster of a favorite movie by the director or stars or something (I got a rad Mike Mignola INCREDIBLES poster signed by he and Brad Bird after the Incredibles panel one year a long time ago), or a favorite comic signed by a writer or illustrated or something like that.  But I've never really had a huge interest in that stuff (meaning, I will definitely not be a 'well I didn't want to wait in line but maybe now I'll jump in the lotto and try my luck" guy).

If all of the booths charged for autographs what would you all think?  Like if, say, Marvel had the INFINITY WAR cast signing posters and charged $100 would you be into that?  That seems like it would cut down on a lot of superfluous casual collectors.  I always think with lottos there should be a happy medium: like, maybe half of the autograph 'slots' go randomly in a lotto while others can try their luck and camp out still.  That way people who feel like they have the legit advantage and desire camping out for hours on end for autographs can still do that, and randos can try their luck in the lotto.  Maybe those of you avid collectors can bring this up at the Talk-Back on Sunday if you're not happy with the lotto.

Just my mostly casual thoughts: I don't really care either way and I'm not really impacted at all.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2018, 01:01:31 PM »
It has been a long time since i really got a autograph from a star/celeb in person. most time now it from comic book makers. maybe if i read of a star/celeb at con i really want a autograph from then i wil try and do what i can at time, saw some at sdcc last year but the event has changed so much that its like a madhouse kinda lol. i mean they are people just like us but fans sometimes like trip out and go fan crazy kinda i guess sometimes. i guess as a kid - they are chill and kinda excited. and then over time people can be calm and chat and ask stuff but then some just loose it and the signer is like wow and try help fan relax and chat some as they try give fan something signed and pic by chance at time. i hope they have some real good stars or celeb who dont charge a arm and leg to sign and get a pic by chance. or will just try do fly by random of them with fans and hope they dont trip out as they doing things lol.

Offline Jason

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #169 on: March 22, 2018, 01:24:10 PM »
Do you just/mainly go to Comic-Con for autographs?
I've mostly been pretty 'meh' about autographs, and Bruce Campbell solidified that with his thoughts about fans in "If Chins Could Kill."  It's not like you really get have quality time, or even really talk to celebrities when signing.  If you're a huge fan of a property I can see getting, say, a poster of a favorite movie by the director or stars or something (I got a rad Mike Mignola INCREDIBLES poster signed by he and Brad Bird after the Incredibles panel one year a long time ago), or a favorite comic signed by a writer or illustrated or something like that.  But I've never really had a huge interest in that stuff (meaning, I will definitely not be a 'well I didn't want to wait in line but maybe now I'll jump in the lotto and try my luck" guy).

If all of the booths charged for autographs what would you all think?  Like if, say, Marvel had the INFINITY WAR cast signing posters and charged $100 would you be into that?  That seems like it would cut down on a lot of superfluous casual collectors.  I always think with lottos there should be a happy medium: like, maybe half of the autograph 'slots' go randomly in a lotto while others can try their luck and camp out still.  That way people who feel like they have the legit advantage and desire camping out for hours on end for autographs can still do that, and randos can try their luck in the lotto.  Maybe those of you avid collectors can bring this up at the Talk-Back on Sunday if you're not happy with the lotto.

Just my mostly casual thoughts: I don't really care either way and I'm not really impacted at all.

Now I mainly go for autographs, although originally when I was coming with my wife and SDCC was just a part of our vacation I tried to do it all - a couple of panels, do some shopping, a few autographs, maybe an offsite (one year we went to Avenue Q).

As the years have gone on the con really forced you to specialize because everything had to happen in the morning (line up for autographs and your panel room line is too long by the time you finish, try for Funko and you miss all the other morning drawings, etc) and now it's mainly autographs and a few Mondo prints, and failing to get into the Funko booth. But I meet friends now so it's not my family vacation, and it costs me $2000+ to attend, and getting one autograph all weekend and strolling around or maybe attending a panel is not worth the cost to me.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2018, 11:35:08 AM »
I feel lucky i discovered volunteering, so i can plan on what i can do before and after job and get what i can and skip all the craziness of lines for funko and autographs , etc. only lines i do are to get like everyone else and maybe get something signed by chance inside. i made a point to check in with anyone i connect to on fb, so can meet in person by chance and get a comic signed by chance and all. the theme of the con has changed so much so i try not follow the hype and show comic makers the support they deserve for all comics and art they do to make alot awesome comic covers over time. i know now gotta check in with them early to skip lines and show support and hope not charge too much to sign a comic by chance. then really decide what swag is worth getting to not be weighd down before end of day lol.

So autographs are cool to get, it just not cool i think that those who get to profit later instead of being those who get and value so can brag they got cause never know when u gonna get them sign anything again. just gotta wait till more news is out as to who be where and when and get what i can signed at time.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2018, 09:07:46 AM »
This is my assessment of how the online lotteries worked at WonderCon, as well as some suggestions for SDCC.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2018, 10:02:22 AM »
My one comment on the article is it doesn't really mention the counter plus side to the lottery at all.  AKA it says people who were used to the old ways had worse odds and didn't always win, but no comment about people who had never been able to get signings before now getting this new opportunity.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2018, 10:21:35 AM »
My one comment on the article is it doesn't really mention the counter plus side to the lottery at all.  AKA it says people who were used to the old ways had worse odds and didn't always win, but no comment about people who had never been able to get signings before now getting this new opportunity.

That's a fair point, but I talked to perhaps 100 people and there was no one who said that they weren't interested in signings but had won anyway. I simply did not find any attendees in that category.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2018, 11:20:37 AM »
That's a fair point, but I talked to perhaps 100 people and there was no one who said that they weren't interested in signings but had won anyway. I simply did not find any attendees in that category.
Sorry that's not quiet what I meant.  I mean people who were interested in signings, but previously not been able to wait in the lines to get them, but now thanks to the new system had an opportunity (whether or not they won.)

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2018, 12:01:17 PM »
Sorry that's not quiet what I meant.  I mean people who were interested in signings, but previously not been able to wait in the lines to get them, but now thanks to the new system had an opportunity (whether or not they won.)
I will say from first hand knowledge that the line camp does not shut folks out who casually want to try for an autograph draw. My roommates were able to win draws without having to wait in line - this is legit with no line cutting or space holding. All they did was show up after the crowd died down and they got on the Fox line, for example, and won their drawings. This happened last year and the year before.

With that said - I got up early and got on line with the hope of getting in early for my target autograph draw while they got their sleep.

Not all attempts will lead to success but I made an effort to get on line to wait. They chose a different plan.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2018, 12:02:45 PM »
If i had made getting a signing chance, i would have tried for all signings so have better chance to get something then nothing really. not sure how many they are doing , but since i volunteer it might conflict so wont try for it any really unless a chance for something in sails before or after a job really . i just glad i dont stress over this stuff if know be easier to get any at booths with short lines and all.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2018, 12:16:39 PM »

I am certain that people who were not willing to wait in line entered and won, but it is my suspicion that they made up the majority of those who did not claim their wristbands. I did meet a few people who said that they had never won a signing before, and were excited about it, because they were interested in the property.

Offline LB42

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2018, 02:07:33 PM »
My apologies if this has been answered: I'm guessing that at Wondercon there was a higher rate of autograph wristband no-shows than the days  when people had to put "sleep/line/time equity" into getting a wristband. Was there a formal standby process for autograph spots to replace lottery no-shows?

If not, what ended up happening?   I know at SDCC you can sometimes sneak into the back of an autograph line if the stars still have time to sign and the line minder is nice.  I would hate to think that's the fallback.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2018, 03:07:03 PM »
At SDCC all wristbands were  handed out. That’s because the lottery took place then and there, and the winners immediately got their wristbands.

As for standby, I think if the signing is on the floor, some places let in standby, but many of the signings are in secret rooms, so people wouldn’t even know where to go for standby.