Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Ace Parking Discussion Thread  (Read 33795 times)

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: SDCC 2019 Ace Parking Discussion Thread
« Reply #285 on: May 13, 2019, 07:21:09 PM »
It is definitely incompetence, and I believe totally unintentional. They will hold spots for everyone that got messed up today, like they did a few years ago. They just need time to weed through it all. I assume they don't enjoy trying to clean up these messes and taking all the s**t thrown at them. Apparently, it's not so unpleasant that it finally forces them to get their act together either.

Oddly, the first year of this lotto system, things went fine. The only thing people b***hed about was that you could just spam the hell out of them for entries, so they tried to fix that part, but have botched the "on sale" for 2 years straight, both years with it going live early and this year added on the old issue of the site not being able to handle traffic and charges going through but no passes issued.

Either way, last time this happened, they took care of everyone it happened to and I know because I was one of the people. I had 8 charges go through.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #286 on: May 13, 2019, 07:46:00 PM »
It is definitely incompetence, and I believe totally unintentional. They will hold spots for everyone that got messed up today, like they did a few years ago. They just need time to weed through it all. I assume they don't enjoy trying to clean up these messes and taking all the s**t thrown at them. Apparently, it's not so unpleasant that it finally forces them to get their act together either.

Oddly, the first year of this lotto system, things went fine. The only thing people b***hed about was that you could just spam the hell out of them for entries, so they tried to fix that part, but have botched the "on sale" for 2 years straight, both years with it going live early and this year added on the old issue of the site not being able to handle traffic and charges going through but no passes issued.

Either way, last time this happened, they took care of everyone it happened to and I know because I was one of the people. I had 8 charges go through.

When it went live early and I didn't get my spot because everyone else rushed in to book, they didn't take care of that for me.  I was still locked out.  Made me extra vigilant about glitches.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #287 on: Today at 02:24:12 PM »

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #287 on: May 13, 2019, 08:04:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm hoping they will allow exchanges since (it appears) you only get to make one purchase per account. My friend was able to get CC for Thu/Fri and wanted HBF on Sat/Sun, but HBF was showing as sold out so they bought 6th and K instead to secure Sat/Sun parking without losing their Thu/Fri CC. Hoping ACE allows a make good since it was the website's error for showing HBF as sold out when it wasn't.
Did your friend email Ace?  Not sure if that would get the account open for a redo or placed on the special sale.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #288 on: May 13, 2019, 08:24:57 PM »
When it went live early and I didn't get my spot because everyone else rushed in to book, they didn't take care of that for me.  I was still locked out.  Made me extra vigilant about glitches.

You were locked out how? CC went within probably 15 minutes of 10am last year due to the early start, but I snoozed and logged in a couple hours late and still got HBF. No one in Group 1 was locked out of a parking spot.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #289 on: May 13, 2019, 09:09:58 PM »
You were locked out how? CC went within probably 15 minutes of 10am last year due to the early start, but I snoozed and logged in a couple hours late and still got HBF. No one in Group 1 was locked out of a parking spot.

I honestly don't remember details--not the day, not the year, not even the group I was in.  I remember being upset that others had gotten in early and nabbed it.  I wasn't upset with the people who got lucky.  They were smart.  I was upset with Ace for fowling it up, but I knew to be vigilant this year.  Learned my lesson and it paid off.  That's the important part.  I bought my spot last night at 11:30 pm.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:13:50 PM by puppy »

Offline lostninja

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #290 on: May 13, 2019, 09:34:50 PM »
Plenty of companies due a soft roll out, and don't tell anyone keeps it from getting flooded at once. And or test out the system right before the launch. I've learned the hard way and missed out on a bunch, but plenty of companies either due this, or use a random time that they put the item out for sale, for the same reason.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #291 on: May 13, 2019, 09:43:13 PM »
A soft opening is valid if you don't announce a time at all. It's extremely inconsiderate to your customers if you've previously told them a specific time and you're selling a high-demand item.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #292 on: May 13, 2019, 10:44:08 PM »
Been 24 hours, Belated Thanks to [member=8775]Kylo[/member] and [member=4905]mattytreks[/member] for their alertness on the soft roll event!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline DriverJC

• Freebie Table
  • Cons are a way of Life; RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #293 on: May 14, 2019, 06:15:33 AM »
Got to work this morning and checked my credit card and found that all three of the charges have been removed.

Here's hoping the "Special Event" on Friday does as smoothly for me as the charge backs.

Offline Cut That Meat

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 176
« Reply #294 on: May 14, 2019, 10:57:11 AM »
Did your friend email Ace?  Not sure if that would get the account open for a redo or placed on the special sale.

Yep, told them to e-mail Ace! We'll see how responsive they are .
SDCC 2008, 2010-11, 2013-19, 2022-23
WC 2014-16, 2023
D23 2015, 2017, 2019, 2022
ECCC 2019

Offline fdiskmbr

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #295 on: May 14, 2019, 01:32:49 PM »
Sdccblog updated their story regarding parking.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Did many people who was in group 1 try to buy CC or HBF parking but because of the glitch showed sold out, so they ending up buying parking farther away?  Are they part of that resale on Friday?  Who is part of the resale, people who where charged multiple times and refunded?

Offline DriverJC

• Freebie Table
  • Cons are a way of Life; RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #296 on: May 14, 2019, 04:47:17 PM »
I'm part of the resale.  I attempted to purchase HBF and had my card charged three times but never received the passes.  I'm not sure if there are any others in the resale other then those of us who were locked out of the sale.

Offline AreTwo

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #297 on: May 14, 2019, 05:00:31 PM »

I wouldn't call it corruption and favoritism.  After all, who exactly are they favoriting?  I would say it is incompetence more than anything.  They seem to have glitches every year, so I'm ready for it.  Wish I didn't have to be.

I'll admit my cynicism and paranoia may be playing into this and it may just be simple incompetence.  But the corruption/favoritism scenario would essentially be 1) Ace employee either opens the inventory early or is aware it's open to the public when it's not supposed to be, and 2) they simply give buddies/clients a heads up that they can swoop in and get what they need before it's closed again, but to keep quiet about it. 
SDCC 2012-2014, 2016-2018; Wondercon 2013-2019 Comikaze/LA Comic Con 2013-2017; LBCC & LBCE 2012-2018; Gallifrey One: 2017-2019

Offline AreTwo

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #298 on: May 14, 2019, 05:14:58 PM »
Anyway, if it's been a couple years where they've quietly opened the inventory the night before the on-sale, it's worth making a note for next year to take advantage of that and look early, since apparently it's an open secret at this point and/or Ace simply doesn't learn from its mistakes.

I wonder what the turnover is at Ace.  It can't be a fun job dealing with clusterf*cks like this and I wouldn't be surprised if the people who experienced it last year flipped to other jobs this year and the people who took their place didn't know what the mistakes were.
SDCC 2012-2014, 2016-2018; Wondercon 2013-2019 Comikaze/LA Comic Con 2013-2017; LBCC & LBCE 2012-2018; Gallifrey One: 2017-2019

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #299 on: May 14, 2019, 06:19:59 PM »
I think the email termed the upcoming sale Group 1 Redux but that name hasn't caught on as much as second chance, special sale, special reservation session, or resale! 

image from twitter, for email header
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:54:29 AM by SamTurtledove »