Author Topic: The Handmaid's Tale  (Read 3143 times)

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Re: The Handmaid's Tale
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 07:38:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Looking up Handmaid's graphic novel, found an article where Atwood said it wouldn't be til 2018, BUT, I did see Angel Catbird Vol. 3 will be out this summer, so she could come with that again.

But I want it NOW. But as long as she still come to San Diego :)

Offline Godolphin

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 191
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 08:45:49 PM »
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum, b***hes.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:46:56 AM »

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
  • I don't like...I obsess
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 10:23:34 AM »
Now that I'm caught up, WOW! The novel has been a favorite of mine for some time, and I am blown away by the series rendition. The cast is amazing!
SDCC 2013-2018 #gameofthrones #netflixoriginals #sherlocked

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 10:25:18 AM »
Now that I'm caught up, WOW! The novel has been a favorite of mine for some time, and I am blown away by the series rendition. The cast is amazing!

I've also been enjoying the added background information. And the most recent episode, while containing nothing from the book itself, fit in seamlessly with the story I know. You can really see Margaret Atwood's hand in this.

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 10:27:41 AM »
I've also been enjoying the added background information. And the most recent episode, while containing nothing from the book itself, fit in seamlessly with the story I know. You can really see Margaret Atwood's hand in this.

Yes, it has made the story richer and more impactful. I have been impressed with Bledel's and Strahovski's performances especially.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 04:00:47 AM »
I watched all the episodes to date yesterday (it was raining outside). I think it's pretty good but super disturbing. I haven't read the book in years, but I remember the basic plot line. I'm curious to see how this season will end and how it will further diverge from the book.

There's going to be a panel on the TV show at Book Con this weekend - I hope I can get into the room! I also got an autograph ticket for Margaret Atwood after the panel. I ordered a new book for her to sign because the book I have is pretty beat up.

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 06:21:24 AM »
I watched all the episodes to date yesterday (it was raining outside). I think it's pretty good but super disturbing. I haven't read the book in years, but I remember the basic plot line. I'm curious to see how this season will end and how it will further diverge from the book.

There's going to be a panel on the TV show at Book Con this weekend - I hope I can get into the room! I also got an autograph ticket for Margaret Atwood after the panel. I ordered a new book for her to sign because the book I have is pretty beat up.
How exciting!! I am really hoping for a panel at SDCC.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 06:32:21 AM »
[member=3593]debster[/member]  that's very interesting that you say that. My husband told me that he was enjoying it, but that it was difficult to watch because everyone was so oppressed. But then the most recent episode (about Luke) he liked much better, because it was more hopeful.

I think the season will end as the book did (I don't know, just a guess) since that in itself is a bit of a cliffhanger. Then I'm hoping that season 2 will be about what happens to Offred after that.

Based on the nextie, it looks like we're off to Jezebel's this week, so back to the book's plot line.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 02:59:06 PM »
I think the season will end as the book did (I don't know, just a guess) since that in itself is a bit of a cliffhanger. Then I'm hoping that season 2 will be about what happens to Offred after that.

Based on the nextie, it looks like we're off to Jezebel's this week, so back to the book's plot line.

I really want to re-read the book, but I'm probably going to wait until after season one is done. At the beginning, I thought it was going to just be a mini-series, so I was surprised when it got picked up for season two!

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 01:49:55 PM »
I really want to re-read the book, but I'm probably going to wait until after season one is done. At the beginning, I thought it was going to just be a mini-series, so I was surprised when it got picked up for season two!

I'm also waiting until after season 1 to reread. Read this a bazillion years ago in school. Or at least it seems like a bazillion years ago. The adaptation is so very well done, but difficult to watch because it is so well done and grounded in reality. I made the mistake of watching the first 3 episodes before bed when they came out. This is now a Saturday afternoon show for me.
Do these tacos taste funny to you?

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 12:32:17 PM »
For those who were waiting to watch, the season finale is next Wednesday, so you can start your free 7 day Hulu trial now and watch the whole series in that week!

For those who watched last night... did you see the nextie? Looks like they *might* not get to the 'book ending'? Or if so, by a totally different route? Not that I mind so much, but it's not what I would have expected...

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 01:33:57 PM »
For those who were waiting to watch, the season finale is next Wednesday, so you can start your free 7 day Hulu trial now and watch the whole series in that week!

For those who watched last night... did you see the nextie? Looks like they *might* not get to the 'book ending'? Or if so, by a totally different route? Not that I mind so much, but it's not what I would have expected...
That episode was tough to watch!! I wouldn't be surprised if they don't reach book end this season.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2017, 12:38:09 PM »
The Finale was incredible!!  And very quote-worthy! So much to process, I think I'll need to watch it again.

I started reading the book yesterday, I'm happy to be able to drag the experience out a bit.  I would love to see a panel at SDCC for Season 2!

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2017, 01:22:08 PM »
I haven't read the book but I really enjoyed the season, the finale didn't go as I was thinking what might happen. I'm looking forward to season 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2017, 01:25:14 PM »
Yeah, the season ended up exactly where I had thought it would (from when the series began) but got there in a totally different way! I was telling my husband that other than the first trip to Jezebel's, there was very little in the last few episodes that matched what happened in the books!

I would also be eager to see a panel at SDCC!