Author Topic: Panel Speculation for 2019  (Read 32835 times)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
Re: Panel Speculation for 2019
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2019, 01:22:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'd say TLJ went over very well. It made $1.3 Billion at the global box office. In fact, it's still making money now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm always baffled by the criticism.  It wasn't as good as TFA, but it wasn't a failure by any means.  The only people I've seen outright hate it are the same group who are hating on Captain Marvel before it even opens.  *sigh*  But if we're trying to compare to TFA, that's almost an impossible standard. 

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2019, 01:27:32 PM »
I've got a friend who hates it because of what they did to Luke's character.  Put aside prejudices and whatever, a lot of people growing up with these movies had expectations of how their favorite characters would end up.  TLJ decided to subvert expectations.  That's not going to go over well with some people.

But, I also didn't want to get into a debate about TLJ because that's already filled too much space on the Internet.  Point is, Disney has some damage control to do, which weighs in favor of an SDCC panel.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 12:04:32 AM »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2019, 01:44:54 PM »
I'll agree with setting the debate aside because I have very strong opinions that are the opposite of yours and it will derail the thread.  Hit me up some other time though in an appropriate place and I'm ready to verbally throw down LMAO  ;D

Offline kelc3214

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2019, 08:01:15 AM »
Psych the Movie 2 is starting production this month and is coming out later this year. I hope that means there will be a panel since they did one for the first movie.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2019, 05:19:28 PM »
then again, they did slam out another season of Sabrina at a ridiculous pace...

Both seasons of Sabrina were filmed at the same time. They split it up for release but they filmed all of it at the same time.

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2019, 06:40:18 PM »
So we've speculated that Game of Thrones might do one final victory lap after the final season airs in April, but according to ew.com the GOT prequel also starts filming in "early summer." With that in mind, I think there's a good chance we might get a panel for the prequel, or maybe even some kind of joint/back-to-back panel for the two shows.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2019, 08:00:50 PM »
Both seasons of Sabrina were filmed at the same time. They split it up for release but they filmed all of it at the same time.

I somehow missed that tidbit. That explains a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2019, 12:22:43 PM »
Yeah I'm always baffled by the criticism. It wasn't as good as TFA, but it wasn't a failure by any means. The only people I've seen outright hate it are the same group who are hating on Captain Marvel before it even opens. *sigh*

Yeah, this generalization is unfortunate. I get that the actions of some of these idiots have created a minefield when it comes to critiquing TLJ, with the main sentiment being that if you really don’t like the movie you must be threatened by strong women, etc. And I get that is very much the issue some people have. But not all.

I don’t like the movie because of its clunky writing and skull-numbing logic. It just seemed to waste a good amount of momentum that TFA set up. TLJ was one of those movies that works on the first viewing, gets its laughs (Luke throwing the saber a way, the shock value of some scenes, etc.) but on subsequent viewings, to me, it just doesn’t feel like a Star Wars movie (much like Solo). If anything it actually made me appreciate George Lucas a little bit (a very little bit, ha) more.

And I still saw it multiple times in the theater, which I will also do with the next Star Wars film. So, of course SW properties make money. They will always make money. But there does seem to still be a definite split of the fan base when it comes to the current trilogy, and it doesn’t all have to do with ignorance/prejudice/hate.

But yes, this does seem like something that would be worth chatting about during the Tuesday before SDCC meet-up. Over beer of course.  :)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2019, 12:36:08 PM »
But yes, this does seem like something that would be worth chatting about during the Tuesday before SDCC meet-up. Over beer of course.  :)

Heck yeah! I'm in :D

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2019, 03:58:41 PM »
I haven't been so excited about a show that I'd wait in line for a panel since Buffy the Vampire Slayer. LOL There are very few series that I sit and watch from beginning to end anymore, and the ones that I have seem to be ending this year. Westworld is a thought though...

I'm actually interested in seeing John Barrowman.

you should totally see Barrowman, great performer, plan to attend the panel prior to make sure you get in, voted most popular panel many times over.

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2019, 04:05:17 PM »
Umbrella Academy on Netflix, refreshing, fun, deep, mind boggling, binge today. 

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2019, 07:13:53 PM »
On the plus side for a Star Wars panel though, it is SDCC’s 50th, JJ is directing again
Yeah, JJ is the one who brought it back to Friday in the first place, where it belongs.  With the absolutely (seemingly) end of the Skywalker Saga, I wouldn't be surprised to see JJ bring SW back to Hall H for one last go.  Lucas brought REVENGE OF THE SITH (I think they debuted the trailer there; they def. announced the title at Comic-Con that year and immediately put t-shirts with the Jedi-esque logo on it at their booth).  It would be a nice synergy for JJ, rekindling the SW hype with the classic cast and mountains of nostalgia for TFA, then bringing IX to focus on the next cast - a sort of uber passing-of-the-torch of "here are the now super iconic cast and characters of the Sequel trilogy!"  I think I'd put the odds at less than 50/50, but that's better than I would've put Rian bringing TLJ (though his LOOPER panel was great awhile back)

they’re coming off of two films that didn’t go over as well, which is kind of similar to where they were with TFA when they wanted people to put their feelings for the prequels aside.
  I think this is at best a misconception.  There are manbaby wimps who seem to either a) can't handle having women be a strong force that propels the narrative and becomes the badass (as if they forget that Leia was a thing) and/or b) can't handle the fact that their own personal, myopic version of a SW storyline didn't come to fruition.  I think most involved don't take them seriously, and the BO of both films at this point speak for themselves.  TLJ tracked nearly perfectly w/both EMPIRE and CLONES box office take (the percentage compared to IV; I; and VII) so the trilogy is right on point to do exactly what the other trilogies did as far as financial impact (saying nothing that merchandising makes several times more than the films).  The whine babyfans are irrelevant.

Oddly enough, SOLO was a nostalgia trip, and mostly "failed" because they nearly doubled the budget reshooting a good portion of the film: it had a production budget just south of $300 million, compared to around $200 million for the others.  Also, SOLO was not as good a film as the 2 sequels or ROGUE ONE: and got good-to-mixed reviews from critics vs the largely good-to-great reviews of the other three modern SW films.  FWIW SOLO made nearly $400 million, which isn't good compared to the others (ROGUE ONE made around $530 million), but not-too-bad.

Oddly enough, SOLO catered FAR more to fans than TLJ or ROGUE ONE IMO, and even got the original directors fired for being too unconventional for SW.  Having to replace the director(s) near the end of production, starting over with rewrites and significant character (and some actor) changes, etc. very very rarely leads to a BO smash hit, and I can't believe Lucasfilm didn't prepare themselves for that.

The state of SW is just fine despite what internet bloggers and Twitter trolls may want the public to think

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2019, 07:15:26 PM »
Yeah, this generalization is unfortunate. I get that the actions of some of these idiots have created a minefield when it comes to critiquing TLJ, with the main sentiment being that if you really don’t like the movie you must be threatened by strong women, etc. And I get that is very much the issue some people have. But not all.

I don’t like the movie because of its clunky writing and skull-numbing logic. It just seemed to waste a good amount of momentum that TFA set up. TLJ was one of those movies that works on the first viewing, gets its laughs (Luke throwing the saber a way, the shock value of some scenes, etc.) but on subsequent viewings, to me, it just doesn’t feel like a Star Wars movie (much like Solo). If anything it actually made me appreciate George Lucas a little bit (a very little bit, ha) more.

And I still saw it multiple times in the theater, which I will also do with the next Star Wars film. So, of course SW properties make money. They will always make money. But there does seem to still be a definite split of the fan base when it comes to the current trilogy, and it doesn’t all have to do with ignorance/prejudice/hate.

Did you like SOLO?

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2019, 07:13:51 AM »
Think they would be able to do a Once Upon A Time In Hollywood panel or is it pushing it since the movie comes out the following week?

Loved the Hateful Eight panel they had. Would love for a Once Upon A Time In Hollywood panel. I imagine Margot will be around anyways for Birds of Prey.

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2019, 07:17:03 AM »
you should totally see Barrowman, great performer, plan to attend the panel prior to make sure you get in, voted most popular panel many times over.

This was actually one of the panels I wanted to see. Do you know what day it usually happens?