Author Topic: SDCC 2018 Hotel discussion: July 19-23  (Read 282478 times)

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
Re: SDCC 2018 Hotel discussion: July 19-23
« Reply #1575 on: April 13, 2018, 10:09:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So, so happy to see folks getting rooms! This forum is incredible for allowing people a better con experience!

We're still hoping for a room closer to the convention center! But, since we have a Westin Gaslamp, it's not the time to be picky! Haha.

I've got a backup Hotel Republic (formerly Renaissance San Diego, I think) reservation that I set up outside of the CCI Hotel process that we'll likely want to give up to the group. The trouble is, I've heard others that got the hotel as a backup had been notified that their reservations were cancelled, since it was really before prices were set for the con. I checked and my reservation still stands.

So, if we start the process of offering someone the hotel, I'm afraid that the inquiry might raise the alarm that the rate was a non-con rate, and they might cancel the reservation for someone else.

Anything thoughts on this? Is it worth offering someone with hopes that the hotel won't mind? I haven't had my credit card charged, but they have my card on file, so I guess it would be a transfer of the name on the reservation AND a replacement card on file? And that's hoping that they don't catch the price change that happened?

Oh shoot! I hadn't heard about that at all. Granted, I think my reservation was about $500/night with taxes (because I booked the ridiculous $900 Friday night because the other days were so cheap, so it evened out.) I was going to offer it up here after Monday when people will find out the final CCI hotel distributions, but now I'm worried too hm...

Personally, I used a place-holder card that doesn't have a limit that would allow the whole thing to be charged, BUT the recipient would need to change the card on file. I know for one year when I switched hotels with someone, I just listed them as a roommate and the CSR I spoke to said it wouldn't be a problem. Usually anyone who's listed as a roommate on the reservation can check-in. Of course, that leaves the problem of they're missing out on one person on the reservation who can get a new keycard if something goes awry.

Edit: I forgot to say that the CSR and prior hotel switch was a different hotel not associated with Marriott.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 10:12:35 AM by Iris_aya »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #1576 on: April 13, 2018, 11:21:26 AM »
So, so happy to see folks getting rooms! This forum is incredible for allowing people a better con experience!

We're still hoping for a room closer to the convention center! But, since we have a Westin Gaslamp, it's not the time to be picky! Haha.

Ha, I'm in the same boat. My friend offered me their Westin Gaslamp, which I took, but it's a single bed, so I'm still hoping for something closer or something with two beds. But as of right now, I'm just happy to be still within walking distance of the con. On the plus side, Westin is close to Ralph's and this one coffee shop I frequent when I'm at SDCC. And if there are any NerdHQ events, Westin is as close as it gets.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1577 on: Today at 01:13:05 AM »

Offline s3rndpt

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #1577 on: April 13, 2018, 11:32:04 AM »
I see a lot of people who got a King room but needed 2 beds--and I know this isn't a perfect solution, but it's what we carry when we travel in case we get stuck with a king instead of 2 beds (us + 2 kids = not enough room in a king) and we all fight over who gets to sleep on them now because it's so comfortable. It's not cheap, but they've totally paid for themselves since we bought them (and it's very durable and easy to set up--my daughter has been able to put it together since she was 10). And it's so small you can pack it in a suitcase.

Anyway, just a possible option for a 3rd bed!

Offline seabisquick

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 37
« Reply #1578 on: April 13, 2018, 11:51:30 AM »
I see a lot of people who got a King room but needed 2 beds--and I know this isn't a perfect solution, but it's what we carry when we travel in case we get stuck with a king instead of 2 beds (us + 2 kids = not enough room in a king) and we all fight over who gets to sleep on them now because it's so comfortable. It's not cheap, but they've totally paid for themselves since we bought them (and it's very durable and easy to set up--my daughter has been able to put it together since she was 10). And it's so small you can pack it in a suitcase.

Here's a cheap option as well.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Had to use this quite often with the single bed problem.

Offline jasperthecactus

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 25
« Reply #1579 on: April 13, 2018, 12:00:57 PM »
It's funny that last night I dream't that I had booked at OMNI just to wake up being just a dream :(
hahaha
Anyways, cheers to everyone it's nice to see people are getting rooms! :)
Now I can't believe I'm saying this but if Monday could just hurry up and be here that would be nice lol and bring some luck along with it!

Have a great weekend guys and good luck! :)

Ozzz

Funny, I dreamed I received my OnPeak email and it gave me Westin Gaslamp - I was so sad when I woke up and remembered I still don't have a room! And it's so weird hoping Monday comes quickly, but it's all I can do at this point. Wait and hope! Good luck to all who are still waiting for their rooms.
SDCC: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019
ECCC: 2018, 2019
RCCC: 2018

“I am, and always will be, the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #1580 on: April 13, 2018, 02:15:06 PM »
Is it dreams time?  OK..Last night I dreamed I had a baby... like the  second "V" baby. Ack!  Thank goodness I woke up.  Alas, neither the baby nor I have a room at this point, but we remain hopeful.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline clambert1273

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #1581 on: April 13, 2018, 02:24:38 PM »
Is it dreams time?  OK..Last night I dreamed I had a baby... like the  second "V" baby. Ack!  Thank goodness I woke up.  Alas, neither the baby nor I have a room at this point, but we remain hopeful.

you made me laugh... now my husband staring at me   lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shadows

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #1582 on: April 13, 2018, 02:35:46 PM »
Is it generally more difficult to trade a room (via OnPeak) AFTER hotel deposits have been paid on the rooms? Or is it something that is do-able and still relatively easy?

It's still doable but more trust is needed as whoever takes the room will have to contact OnPeak or the hotel to put their credit card on the reservation. Until then, your card will remain on the reservation.

Also the person will have to pay you back via Paypal for the deposit, as OnPeak will not charge it to a new card at this point.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:39:41 PM by Devorah »

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #1583 on: April 13, 2018, 05:52:14 PM »
Is it generally more difficult to trade a room (via OnPeak) AFTER hotel deposits have been paid on the rooms? Or is it something that is do-able and still relatively easy?

It's still doable but more trust is needed as whoever takes the room will have to contact OnPeak or the hotel to put their credit card on the reservation. Until then, your card will remain on the reservation.

Also the person will have to pay you back via Paypal for the deposit, as OnPeak will not charge it to a new card at this point.

Year before last when I had a room at the MGH to give up after deposits were due, we conference called on peak to make the changes. So it's possible but a little complicated.

Still hoping for a room at the embassy  :-\

Offline blusurfer

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #1584 on: April 13, 2018, 08:51:27 PM »

Or an option if I don't get a hotel room and just end up sleeping in the Saturday Hall H line for three nights! :-D

Offline blusurfer

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #1585 on: April 13, 2018, 08:57:24 PM »
Hello all, my friend just came up with a couple rooms... 1 at the Sofia and 1 at the US Grant.  If anyone wants them, speak now or forever hold your peace.   Thank you!

Awww, man. I am bummed that I missed this. Was swamped at work the last two days and didn't keep my eyes on the forums. Stupid work.

Offline Loliiz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #1586 on: April 13, 2018, 09:35:34 PM »
Or an option if I don't get a hotel room and just end up sleeping in the Saturday Hall H line for three nights! :-D
This is my plan C! Just need somewhere to shower... And maybe store my stuff

Enviado desde mi XT1650 mediante Tapatalk

Offline BHart

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #1587 on: April 13, 2018, 10:21:25 PM »
This is my plan C! Just need somewhere to shower... And maybe store my stuff

Enviado desde mi XT1650 mediante Tapatalk

What happened to Plan B?  XD

Offline Loliiz