Author Topic: Marriott Marquis  (Read 6461 times)

Offline cwthornton

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Marriott Marquis
« on: October 14, 2018, 06:13:29 AM »
My family of 5 have all scored 4-day badges for 2019 and we want to make it a bit easier convenience wise by staying at the Marriott Marquis so family members can take a break and come and go without a major logistical nightmare. What are the chances of that? I've never used the Con hotel reservation system before... I'm a Marriott rewards member, but I notice that the 2019 Con dates are already blacked out on the Marriott site.  Is the Con hotel offering the only way to get reservations there? Or is it just that I'm too early to try getting reservations the normal way?

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
Re: Marriott Marquis
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 06:20:06 AM »
They may offer rooms outside of the block but at very high rates (looking at 800 a night at least)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:33:01 AM »

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 06:22:35 AM »
Eventuallly, the Marquis will offer reservations at a large markup, I think it’s been somewhere between $980 to $1100 for a king room per night.  You’ll see similar prices for other downtown hotels.  I think they come open on their websites maybe 3 months before the con. If you can afford that markup that’s a guaranteed way.  But, it’s prepaid I think and near impossible to cancel with refund if not done within 24 hrs of reservation. Best bet is to try to  get one during the highly stressful open hotel sale, MArriott I think was $320ish last year per night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 06:25:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Eventuallly, the Marquis will offer reservations at a large markup, I think it’s been somewhere between $980 to $1100 for a king room per night.  You’ll see similar prices for other downtown hotels.  I think they come open on their websites maybe 3 months before the con. If you can afford that markup that’s a guaranteed way.  But, it’s prepaid I think and near impossible to cancel with refund if not done within 24 hrs of reservation. Best bet is to try to  get one during the highly stressful open hotel sale, MArriott I think was $320ish last year per night.

The above...note that the hotel sale (Hotelpocalypse) is really the only way to get local places at somewhat respectable rate.  You could also try airbnb, but that's a whole different way.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline cwthornton

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 06:29:20 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. About what time of the year does the Con open hotel sale happen?

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 06:29:34 AM »
Airbnb usually has ridiculous con markups too, so be careful that route.  And sometimes properties listed as walking distance to the convention center are not.

Online SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 06:34:31 AM »
My family of 5 have all scored 4-day badges for 2019 and we want to make it a bit easier convenience wise by staying at the Marriott Marquis so family members can take a break and come and go without a major logistical nightmare. What are the chances of that? I've never used the Con hotel reservation system before... I'm a Marriott rewards member, but I notice that the 2019 Con dates are already blacked out on the Marriott site.  Is the Con hotel offering the only way to get reservations there? Or is it just that I'm too early to try getting reservations the normal way?
First welcome to the FOCC forums, and congrats on getting your entire family all 4 days for SDCC 2019.
It's probably too early to book the Marquis for SDCC, but you should keep checking in case they do open up some rooms.
Note that the rooms that they do offer through Marriott will be very expensive, think $800 to over $1000 a night and will most likely require non-refundable payment in full.
If you want to you can try through the CCI sale, where the nightly rate for Marquis last year was $304, but it is a lottery and chances of getting an adjacent hotel though the sale are pretty slim.
Not saying it can't be done, it is possible, but can also be a very stressful process.
Best to plan out all your options, try not to focus on one hotel and see if you can reserve a refundable backup hotel in case you strike out during the sale.

Good Luck!

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 06:54:35 AM »
Even after HOTELPOCALYPSE, there still some hope.  Last year several downtown hotels popped on the Onpeak website right  up until the con.  I was able to get Bayfront 3weeks prior to event(but I did forfeit a two day deposit at another hotel from earlier).  Best bet is pray for something good during the open sale, then watch the onpeak site like a hawk. Also, this forum is AWESOME about posting when hotel availability pops up from Onpeak.

Offline cwthornton

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 08:43:52 AM »
Great advice. Thanks all.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 09:08:06 AM »
You could also try the Marriott Gaslamp. I believe it's a little easier to book rooms with them directly, and theyr'e not that much further from the convention center. They're still in the middle of the action!

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 01:34:27 PM »
Booking hotels at super inflated rates sure is a great way to accumulate rewards points at that respective hotel :)

That said, 1k per night any way you slice it, is a tough pill to swallow.
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline Avertoss

• Sails Pavilion
    • CamSlurp
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 12:56:51 AM »
1k per night is an insanely steep rate even with the benefits of reward points.

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 10:15:25 AM »
One serious benefit of staying at the Marquis, or any close hotel, is you can just leave your car in the parking garage. Parking at the Ace spots do not allow overnight parking. FYI. I have stayed at the Marquis the last two years. GREAT hotel. Good luck.

Offline BenEatsRice

• Gaming Lounge
  • Waiting In Line
  • Liked: 150
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 07:52:52 PM »
One serious benefit of staying at the Marquis, or any close hotel, is you can just leave your car in the parking garage. Parking at the Ace spots do not allow overnight parking. FYI. I have stayed at the Marquis the last two years. GREAT hotel. Good luck.
I assume there is still a fee for parking your car there though, right?
What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 08:10:38 AM »
I assume there is still a fee for parking your car there though, right?

Oh yes, a hefty one...