Author Topic: So What Else Do People Do at SDCC?  (Read 6896 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: So What Do People Do?
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2018, 11:39:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fun topic!

I like to sit by the pool at some point (it's San Diego!!!)
I can watch the ships and helicopters and Navy stuff across the bay for hours
Offsites, food trucks, walking up and down the main drag
Check out the local businesses
I'm with you, and this is one thing that I LOVE about waiting in line by the bay!  Days when the Navy is out & about are fun; one year a fleet of hovercraft were doing maneuvers!  FWIW depending on the time of year in SD you can watch the Navy SEALs running on the Hotel Del beach on Coronado, the Top Gun fighter jets coming in/taking off, and Navy ships out & about in the bay. 

FWIW, you can go to Cabrillo National Monument in Point Loma (which is way west of the Convention Center - you have to generally drive north along the bay, then a little bit west so you're on the other side of Coronado Island, and then drive south) and get amazing views of the Navy Fleet stationed at Coronado Island, as well as downtown.  It's one of my favorite sort of hidden treasurers in San Diego.

This odd side-rant brought to you by... :P

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
Re: So What Else Do People Do at SDCC?
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2018, 11:49:53 AM »
I remember take pics and vid when had chance to check out the Midway Museum and see the battleships and all across the way at the coronado base across the way. i can try do same this year, but have to make sure i around right part of back area or go up the back of center where u can hang out in back up high kinda and catch a view across to the base and all.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 06:39:58 AM »

Offline Rcmal1

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2018, 10:27:22 AM »
Hi All!
Im a 3rd Timer..

With the Con being what it is, I'm always curious, what do you all actually do, during/at the Con? i've read around enough to know some spend the days in Hall H Madness and some hop the floor and the offisites, but.. what besides that.. what do y'all do>?

I'll start:
i hit up all my panels I want, an offiste if i can get in, grab some food to eat. Hit the Quarter and people watch, travel the Con floor (i usually spy different things to buy every day), chill around on the lounge area at the ConPicture Wall... and..i dunno... lol... damn.. why can't i remember what else I do.

So, what do y'all do?

Great post!  We plan as much as we can and then try to just fall into something cool.  It has happened a bunch, which is why I love SDCC.  We got to meet the creators of Rick and Morty and get a bunch of stuff signed one year.  My friends and I cosplay one day, which is awesome but we don't get much else done.  I love seeing old friends that we have made over the years and we always try and hit up the bars one of the nights.  First year ever we saw a costume contest that came down to The Predator and a Stormtrooper.  They had them do a dance off to see who would win. That is the kind of stuff you only see at SDCC!

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: So What Do People Do?
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2018, 10:33:39 AM »
I'm with you, and this is one thing that I LOVE about waiting in line by the bay!  Days when the Navy is out & about are fun; one year a fleet of hovercraft were doing maneuvers!  FWIW depending on the time of year in SD you can watch the Navy SEALs running on the Hotel Del beach on Coronado, the Top Gun fighter jets coming in/taking off, and Navy ships out & about in the bay. 

FWIW, you can go to Cabrillo National Monument in Point Loma (which is way west of the Convention Center - you have to generally drive north along the bay, then a little bit west so you're on the other side of Coronado Island, and then drive south) and get amazing views of the Navy Fleet stationed at Coronado Island, as well as downtown.  It's one of my favorite sort of hidden treasurers in San Diego.

This odd side-rant brought to you by... :P

[member=380]perc2100[/member] We visited Point Loma and Cabrillo a couple years ago -- very cool!  There are lots of tide pools down by the water which was fun, and of course seeing the city from that angle is beautiful :)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2018, 10:02:40 PM »
I suggested it last year as well, but if you are into Manga and Otaku and come from an area where that stuff is not easy to get, you can shop for that stuff in San Diego.  There's enough of a Japanese community that there is a little mini Japan up in Kearny Mesa.  That's the Asian hub of San Diego.  There's also a little mini Korea there too.  San Diego is lucky enough to have a Book Off.  For those who don't know, Book Off is a used bookstore chain in Japan.  The one in San Diego is really a combination of all the Offs.  There's Hard Off(electronics), Mode Off(clothes) and Junk Off.  Anyways, the Book Off in San Diego has all that stuff from books to magazines to computers to cameras to figurines to music instruments but I think they recently stop carrying clothes.  As is the case with Book Off in Japan and Japanese thrift stores in general, the quality is high and the price can be really low.  A short walk away there's a Marukai Market strip mall.  It consists of 3 stores.  The one of most interest is the one with model kits and other things you would find in a Don Quijote in Japan.  If you need a Bandai kit or a Gundam fix this is the place.  There's also a branch of the popular Japanese dollar store Daiso in the area.  So if you need a Japan fix and don't live in an area where you have that, you can get that in Kearny Mesa.  Oh yeah, an Ajisen Ramen opened last year.  Big Japanese chain.  If only they would reopen the Yoshinoya.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:05:14 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2018, 01:26:50 PM »
I suggested it last year as well, but if you are into Manga and Otaku and come from an area where that stuff is not easy to get, you can shop for that stuff in San Diego.  There's enough of a Japanese community that there is a little mini Japan up in Kearny Mesa.  That's the Asian hub of San Diego.  There's also a little mini Korea there too.  San Diego is lucky enough to have a Book Off.  For those who don't know, Book Off is a used bookstore chain in Japan.  The one in San Diego is really a combination of all the Offs.  There's Hard Off(electronics), Mode Off(clothes) and Junk Off.  Anyways, the Book Off in San Diego has all that stuff from books to magazines to computers to cameras to figurines to music instruments but I think they recently stop carrying clothes.  As is the case with Book Off in Japan and Japanese thrift stores in general, the quality is high and the price can be really low.  A short walk away there's a Marukai Market strip mall.  It consists of 3 stores.  The one of most interest is the one with model kits and other things you would find in a Don Quijote in Japan.  If you need a Bandai kit or a Gundam fix this is the place.  There's also a branch of the popular Japanese dollar store Daiso in the area.  So if you need a Japan fix and don't live in an area where you have that, you can get that in Kearny Mesa.  Oh yeah, an Ajisen Ramen opened last year.  Big Japanese chain.  If only they would reopen the Yoshinoya.

This is great info [member=6586]chocolateshake[/member]!  I'll need to let my daughters know.

Offline geargirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2018, 05:52:02 AM »
I look thru all the artist portfolios in artist alley and select a few to do commissions on blank comic covers for me. I try to do this on Thur and Fri because some need a few days to get it done.

Hello,

I am interested in doing this. How does this process work?

Offline geargirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2018, 05:59:20 AM »
I try to do a little of everything - exhibit floor, autographs, artist alley, panels, offsite stuff, hall H. This was prior to having the daughter. Now the toddler often dictates what we do, but I still get to quite a few things.  We also like to spend time doing San Diego things - Gaslamp, the zoo, Balboa Park, Coronado Island.  Last year we went to a baseball game.

Always wanted to go to Balboa park. Maybe this is the year.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2018, 09:47:28 AM »
Hello,

1. Find an artist you like.
2. Go to them with a blank comic cover or autograph/sketch book or blank sheet of paper/board, etc.
3. Most artists have preset prices, so decide what you want. (Color/Black and White, Full body or head shot, etc) Or negotiate if none are listed.
4. Pay the price and unless they do the sketch on the spot, you will need to come back later.  Ask them when the sketch will be ready.
5. Some artists have limited spots, so they may have a signup sheet.  If they are full for the day, come back the next day.  Some may do the sketch on the spot for you while you watch.
6. Some artists will take commissions before the con, so check online to see if an artist you like will be there and if they offer pre-convention sketches for you to pay and pick up at the con.

Offline TeamKiLL3R

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2018, 10:16:37 PM »
Hello,

[member=1220]Vapors[/member] covered your question really well, probably better than I could have.
As for getting blank comic books, venders at SDCC have them available but I prefer to buy mine ahead of time on eBay.
I recommend getting a comic book travel case to transport them in. BCW makes one called the Comic Store-Folio for about $10. it holds about 12-15 comics.
Some artist will already have some blank comic covers pre-done. technically these wold not be considered commissions but they are still original pieces of artwork.
Sometimes artist offer a discount on commissions if they include your name on it. I usually take them up on this because I have no intention of ever selling them.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2018, 10:26:17 PM »
If you are from some place away from the ocean and especially if you have kids, I would suggest an afternoon up in La Jolla shores.  It was my hangout during my youth.  The beach itself is cool but the big attraction is the tide pools.  Please look, but don't take anything away.  Too often I see kids scooping up animals into a bucket as their parents look on.  That's not only not cool but illegal.  Birch Aquarium up the hill is pretty decent too.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2018, 08:13:20 AM »
If you are from some place away from the ocean and especially if you have kids, I would suggest an afternoon up in La Jolla shores.  It was my hangout during my youth.  The beach itself is cool but the big attraction is the tide pools.  Please look, but don't take anything away.  Too often I see kids scooping up animals into a bucket as their parents look on.  That's not only not cool but illegal.  Birch Aquarium up the hill is pretty decent too.

To make your day in LaJolla complete, drive up to the Torrey Pines Gliderport.  There's a lunch stand and tables, and you can watch the gliders take off and land and enjoy a lovely view of the coast.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2018, 03:48:09 AM »
We plan as much as we can and then try to just fall into something cool. 

[member=8195]Rcmal1[/member] - '"...fall into something cool".  Can I tell you how much I really  adore that line?     Yes!  That is SDCC for me  :D
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2018, 09:57:30 AM »
Always wanted to go to Balboa park. Maybe this is the year.
Balboa Park is great; some real awesome museums and a great Japanese garden to go for some peace and quiet (I went to the Japanese garden one year on a Thursday late morning/early afternoon and it was GREAT to get away for a little while)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2018, 10:13:31 AM »
[member=8195]Rcmal1[/member] - '"...fall into something cool".  Can I tell you how much I really  adore that line?     Yes!  That is SDCC for me  :D
Yeah, that really is my philosophy for SDCCI too!  Plan ahead but be flexible for cool things that can happen on the fly.  That's how I got into a really rad Marvel/LA Times party one year where I was doing shots with high-up Marvel comic and movie execs as well as creators and others.  I ended up chatting with Michael Rooker for awhile (this was summer before original GotG)