Author Topic: A new auto signing procedure for the WB at SDCC?  (Read 40862 times)

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
Re: A new auto signing procedure for the WB at SDCC?
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2018, 01:05:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
An online lottery can help quantify interest.  Once the line gets dispersed, after all the WB ticket draws and wristbands, you don't know how many actualy were in the queue.     

I'm sure groups get in line (and online) sometimes to help the odds for a small number in their group.  That's viable since WB allowed you to give your winning wristband to someone else, they just have to be present at placement.  Not sure how they would limit that, if they haven't done so prior years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
IMO - for the reason I stated earlier online lotteries would not really help quantify the demographic as it would open up interest to everyone. The folks who choose to line up can be counted much easily by swiping their badge as they enter into the line. This is where the RFID chip technology can be leveraged.

On the Hall H front I think the debate of lotteries makes sense and I do see the similarity in agreement and disagreement in both situations.

You are the one the controls your destiny- not an algorithm.

The point I am trying to make with that statement is that we want the process that gives us the best odds. Time in line is your investment to make your SDCC experience the best it can be.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2018, 02:01:59 PM »
I can see they using rfid badge as way to know who was already scanned ahead of time so any line cutters would give a notice of when or if it was ever scanned ahead of time. so they can make cutters go to end of line or have to wait for those who was scanned before they started letting anyone in at time. i can see those with scanner going down line and scan badge to rserve a spot ncase they gotta go restroom or anything, then they come back and give a green lite saying then was scanned ahead of time. then cutters get a red lite so they gotta wait as traffic rescan and get green like they have u do when u go in and out of con so they know u gota legit badge and all. cause i know for volunters or workers they have a scanner u use before u head out to work and know it goes green saying it working and not need replacement.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 06:21:50 AM »

Offline ThePuffyTaco

• Freebie Table
  • Victor Lopez thanks you!
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »

Online lotteries drastically decreases success odds because now you are going against the other 100k plus attendees and your destiny is based on an algorithm - not your hand in a bag.

You have to get your hand in the bag and CCI poor job with line management the last years have shown an inability or unwillingness to improve that.

First CCI should actually use the RFiD tech as when I was in line for Funko we were led into the building (tapped), led through thr building to the back and exited down the stairs and then went into our respective lines. To get to all drawa you had to tap again to reach Sails - but when we headed outside we found a crap ton of people already inline who never lined up nor went through thr building. Security told us that "yeah people got through. We are aware of it and no more can get through'. But the Funko line was already massive and soon after all spots were taken.

When speaking to security they 1) did not clear out the back to make sure people didn't head into line who shouldn't be there. 2) Did not use the RFID tech to ensure that everyone coming up the stairs into Sails had the punches from the front and the exit - technically the only people outside of ADA that should be there. 3) proceeded to blame Funko and exclusive companies for the line cutters and not their inability to do their job.

Despite this - I think an online aystem is a wrong idea. The tools are there for a better system already they just need to use them. Getting competent people running the lines and using RFID properly would do wonders for line management.

Online will result in more people trying for things they aren't willing to invest time into - making it harder for folks who feel that whatever is their #1 draw of the show.

Also a charitable donation could price people out who scraped by to attend. Putting a paygate for free parts of the show is a no go IMO.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2018, 09:00:16 AM »

You have to get your hand in the bag and CCI poor job with line management the last years have shown an inability or unwillingness to improve that.

First CCI should actually use the RFiD tech as when I was in line for Funko we were led into the building (tapped), led through thr building to the back and exited down the stairs and then went into our respective lines. To get to all drawa you had to tap again to reach Sails - but when we headed outside we found a crap ton of people already inline who never lined up nor went through thr building. Security told us that "yeah people got through. We are aware of it and no more can get through'. But the Funko line was already massive and soon after all spots were taken.

When speaking to security they 1) did not clear out the back to make sure people didn't head into line who shouldn't be there. 2) Did not use the RFID tech to ensure that everyone coming up the stairs into Sails had the punches from the front and the exit - technically the only people outside of ADA that should be there. 3) proceeded to blame Funko and exclusive companies for the line cutters and not their inability to do their job.

Despite this - I think an online aystem is a wrong idea. The tools are there for a better system already they just need to use them. Getting competent people running the lines and using RFID properly would do wonders for line management.

Online will result in more people trying for things they aren't willing to invest time into - making it harder for folks who feel that whatever is their #1 draw of the show.

Also a charitable donation could price people out who scraped by to attend. Putting a paygate for free parts of the show is a no go IMO.

This I tend to agree with as far as overall line logistics.  I think SDCCI is continually striving to make the experience most beneficial and enjoyable for its attendees and it seems a lot of the issues with lines is because of lax/improperly trained independent contractors (non-CCI employed security). 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:03:13 AM by perc2100 »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2018, 11:14:37 AM »
I try think why funko line gets so long and guess it cause it part people who want for themselves and part resalers cause u go and see what got but u gotta think what to get as backup if certain ones are sold out cause resalers i guessing buy so many of the same figure thinking or knowing it gonna sale fast on ebay. i am glad i can read so much ahead of going so i know what to avoid since not big collector , but sux for those who dont resale but still cant get caus resalers haord any or all that otehrs might want who are still in line. im sure some wait in line so long and then get to front to find out certain ones they want are gone cause other buy to resale. how times have changed hmm.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2018, 12:21:12 PM »

I hate to say this but I seriously think wristbands are needed for the front line to control the jumping in line at the back of Sails.

Yes people may not be pleased about that but the back of Sails has morphed into a potential problem area.

Make everyone go through the front and Sails before going to the back. Especially the  first 1-2k attendees.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2018, 08:05:40 PM »
Honestly, I am surprised this hasn't happened sooner.  In my eyes, it's an image thing.  SDCC doesn't want to be associated with being a Line Con.  Online lotteries get rid of them.  Sadly, that means less of a chance for people to get an autograph since the pool is increased.  Companies want their fans to have a positive experience and standing in line and waiting isn't a big plus.  Celebrity autographs are never a big draw for me.  Comic book artists on the other hand are and fortunately I have never had an issue that wasn't later resolved.  The Marvel booth is just a horde so I either wait till the artist has a panel or hit them up at the Artist Alley.  I just hope these companies don't do something like having people pay for more entries in an online lottery.
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2018, 11:22:34 AM »
Yea, years past it wasnt so hard to get any autograph from a star or comic maker. i guess the media hype was in early stages as well cause u was easy to get in to panels and not gotta waite time in line for hall h or whatever. i dnt freak out if not get anything signed cause if u check who gonna be at con and do a bee line to the person so to speak u can catch them early before the traffic has a clue who is there at time. most time i just roamed arounnd besides having notes of what i try do anyday. but if u know who is gonna be where and u have time to check things and get what u can then it time not wasted cause u was able to meet and greet a star or comic maker at time. last year i was kinda ready but scrambled to find comics i can get signed at time and it went ok but i know now to have any with u so not gotta track down any at time and can just go to booth and ask if can get a comic signed. but do be aware of signs for prices any so not shocked when asked for any money for a signature at time. i have read alot and know if u want a stack signed be ready to pay alot lol, so i just try have one and get signed for free by chance so not to waste time and act greedy of time any. but i know some do charge so be ready and think before u wait in line how bad u want anything signed at time so u not waste urs and their time any.

Offline Volsspongebob

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2018, 12:48:55 PM »
I hate to say this but I seriously think wristbands are needed for the front line to control the jumping in line at the back of Sails.

Yes people may not be pleased about that but the back of Sails has morphed into a potential problem area.

Make everyone go through the front and Sails before going to the back. Especially the  first 1-2k attendees.

I don't think it is a potential problem. It is a problem.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2018, 01:32:51 PM »
It will be a problem or a hassle untill they fix the hole that makes things right . has it been like this every year or was last year the first time anyone got busted for fake bands? and untill they find a foolproof solution then they need find way to stop the line cutters. they need to set a system to determine how many seats they got to fill and then scan every badge and once they hit the last open chair that includes handicap ones by chance as well then bands may get faked again later idk. they find ways to stop scalpers from getting and saleing badges, then they need a answer to block line cutters by have every one badge be scanned that reserves them a seat anytime and then poof there be like a line not as long i guess cause u cant enter unless they got a spot saved for u .

Offline darlenealderson

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2018, 05:35:15 PM »
I prefer Hall H over getting autographs because I have been unlucky when I tried for signings...including the 2015 Legendary booth fiasco where I was right by the elevators and somehow the line was capped by the time I got there. At least you know if you're getting in to Hall H. I personally think they should do a lottery for 2/3 of the signing tickets and let the other third go to people willing to camp. You could get in if you're devoted. But I also know that lotteries breed a black market. I went to SLCC when they had Chris Evans and people were selling their panel seat (won through a lottery) on craigslist/Facebook.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2018, 06:01:10 PM »
I prefer Hall H over getting autographs because I have been unlucky when I tried for signings...including the 2015 Legendary booth fiasco where I was right by the elevators and somehow the line was capped by the time I got there. At least you know if you're getting in to Hall H. I personally think they should do a lottery for 2/3 of the signing tickets and let the other third go to people willing to camp. You could get in if you're devoted. But I also know that lotteries breed a black market. I went to SLCC when they had Chris Evans and people were selling their panel seat (won through a lottery) on craigslist/Facebook.

Yea, i can see salers doing that about the sale of panel seats if they not id checked or checked in any way before the event to block anyone if gotta have it scanned to enter the panel. it show u who are the true fans and who are i guess just profiters who sale for hi price to bank on those who wanted to see it so bad at time. i have heard or read many times people act like they want any signed but then resale for profit, so it causes some or all stars or comic maker to charge for sigs sometimes do to what they learn over time. i for one value a sig cause never know when u get anything more signed later if at all. so i just try get one comic signed so not be charged alot if at all at time.

Offline Jason

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2018, 08:45:57 AM »
If they go the online lottery route, they might be doing this to stop the fake Ada people.
I hate the fake Ada but I hate the online lottery as well.
Why not make Hall H online lottery as well to clear up the people camping out etc
Not sure if there is space but WB should have chutes like Wondercon not just one line.
And as I've said multiple times one wristband per person per day for WB signings.

They used to do the separate lines for different shows/movies thing and that ended a few years ago - I assume because people were upset they missed out completely if they didn't get to choose for the signing they picked.

As far as the fake ADA - last year was the first time I did ADA (because I'm an old man and I need a hip replacement). It was insane to see people running to lines once the door opened. But I was still not anywhere near the front of the WB line any of the three days I tried, so I don't know how much that is an issue for them. I think the people getting in through the back of the sails without any lining up is the real issue.

Offline GusGus23462

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2018, 09:15:48 AM »
As someone who uses ADA, the ‘fake ADA’ is more exaggerated online then at the actual show. I got shut out for almost all WB signings last year and tried everyday. I’m not saying people don’t take advantage of the ADA lines, but some people have internal issues. I can’t stand for several hours in the same spot, I have spinal issues, and I use a cane, but I can walk quickly and I have a long gait so I can move (more like power walk, but still).

I think that back stairway is is the problem and has been the problem for SEVERAL years!!

I’m not opposed to using an online lotto, but it will be exploited as well. NYCC tried that this year, but it was met with a ton of complaints!! ReedPop claimed they were only allowing registered users to enter, but I saw threads on Reddit of people just entering any email and taking advantage. You didn’t have to assign a badge until after you’d won. Trust me, no system that I’ve seen will truly even the playing field unless the con wants to invest a ton of time into it.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2018, 12:02:10 PM »
DANG!  Could marvel's procedures at Wondercon be a sign of what is to come at SDCC:
Please note that the WonderCon online Exclusives Portal will launch on February 28th and at that time WonderCon Anaheim badge holders can log-in and create a list of exclusive signings they’d be interested in attending. On March 19th, WonderCon attendees will be selected at random and receive an email confirmation with more details.
Fingers crossed as I don't know anyone who has ever been able to land actual Marvel signing tickets.  Closest I have got was the Premier tickets to Captain America which had Chris Evans in the room (though no signing).