Author Topic: SDCC 2018 offsite events  (Read 52596 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: SDCC 2018 offsite events
« Reply #390 on: July 26, 2018, 10:31:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sounds like the Omni VR Exhibit is the place to be if you don't have PN!

The demos in the exhibit itself also gave away swag.

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #391 on: July 26, 2018, 10:44:30 AM »
The demos in the exhibit itself also gave away swag.

Oh yeah the Overwatch booth gave away pins if you took pics! Speaking of which, it's super crazy how small that line was. Apparently there was a 2 hour wait when the booth was at AX but when I went by the booth throughout SDCC, the line was consistently small.

Anyways, I actually like the offsite set up in the Omni. It wasn't too crowded and the exhibits themselves are so fun, especially if you're into VR!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #392 on: Today at 02:49:51 PM »

Offline clarrkkent

• Gaming Lounge
  • @Wa_Fly_Guy on IG
  • Liked: 177
« Reply #392 on: July 26, 2018, 10:46:16 AM »
Do offsites always close when con closes up for the night? My wife and I were very surprised and disappointed that when we left after last panels of the day that all offsites were closed (exception being Taco Bell...kinda) It makes no sense to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #393 on: July 26, 2018, 10:58:50 AM »
Oh yeah the Overwatch booth gave away pins if you took pics! Speaking of which, it's super crazy how small that line was. Apparently there was a 2 hour wait when the booth was at AX but when I went by the booth throughout SDCC, the line was consistently small.

Anyways, I actually like the offsite set up in the Omni. It wasn't too crowded and the exhibits themselves are so fun, especially if you're into VR!

I thought that booth was really well done. They had a separate line for Overwatch cosplayers but the general line was pretty fast for us as well and the people who ran the booth were great.

Do offsites always close when con closes up for the night? My wife and I were very surprised and disappointed that when we left after last panels of the day that all offsites were closed (exception being Taco Bell...kinda) It makes no sense to us.

A lot do, but there are the various parties and movie screenings that are later in the day.

I was surprised at how quickly the tear-down starts on Sunday. SDCC ended at 5pm and by 5:30 the installations outside the Bayfront were already well on their way to being disassembled.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #394 on: July 26, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »

Not all of them.  It also depends on what time you are thinking of.  The experience booths stayed open until 7pm.  After that they showed movies on the big screen well into the night.  The Star Trek Discovery offsite stayed open until 9pm I think.  The last Teamcoco show wasn't until 11pm.  And of course the offsite parties went until 1am or later.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #395 on: July 26, 2018, 11:39:56 AM »
I believe Adult Swim was open until 2 am?

We went to the FXhibition at 2:05 pm on Sunday, only to be told that they had closed at 2 pm. That's why teardown was so far along when you saw it, Mark.

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #396 on: July 26, 2018, 11:49:18 AM »
This was my 5th year going and first year doing offsites. I only walked the floor for a bit on Friday to get the free deadpool T shirt. Saturday was all offsites for me and I had fun! didn't even walked into the convention center lol Conan was the MVP for offsites this year with teamcoco house giving attendees and non attendees a chance to see him and get a pop if they didn't get tickets to his show ;)

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #397 on: July 26, 2018, 12:13:05 PM »

We went to the FXhibition at 2:05 pm on Sunday, only to be told that they had closed at 2 pm. That's why teardown was so far along when you saw it, Mark.

That makes sense. it was my first time being in the gaslamp Sunday night and Monday. Was a bit sad seeing everything being taken down.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #398 on: July 26, 2018, 12:36:21 PM »

A lot of the offsites have to get out in a hurry, especially the ones on public spaces like the parking lot.  Also the convention center or the Marriot can go back to back with conventions.  I didn't see it happening this year, but last year in the Marriot they had already taken down the comic-con signage and put up the next conference signage by Sunday afternoon.  Places that rent out private space can probably take more time to break down.  Is the Laika offsite still there?  Not opened, I know it closed on Sunday but are the displays still there?

Speaking of which, I think Laika stayed open until 9pm but the line was probably capped hours earlier.

Offline rallyv

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #399 on: July 26, 2018, 01:42:28 PM »

We did the Overwatch thing on Preview Night and it was so empty that the guy doing press check-in let us through using him, basically letting us cut the line (which was maybe 10 people (with maybe 3-4 groups total) so it's not like it was a huge skip).

The whole tech pavilion seemed muted this year which upset me because I've loved it so much in recent years. Last year was awesome with the two 3d domes (think the meatwad dome but showing something else) that you could just chill out in. This year was littered with bitcoin peddlers and didn't even look to fill out the whole room like previous years.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #400 on: July 26, 2018, 11:36:32 PM »
I really wish I could have made more time to check out these off sites, but with the full schedule that I had, there simply was not enough time to walk out there, wait, do the offsite and then come back to do what I wanted to do at the con.  I've always thought that if I somehow do not get all the days, that day is going to be spent at the off sites only.

Also, I do wish, as others have said these off sites consider staying open later.