Author Topic: Star Wars Galaxy Edge opening May 31 @ Disneyland, August 29th @ Disneyworld  (Read 34361 times)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
Hello guys.  It's tax season which means my mind is on hotels and airfare.  Before I book my airfare I'm trying to figure out if I should arrive on Tuesday in San Diego just for SDCC or maybe the Saturday/Sunday before to do Disneyland.  I really want to see Star Wars land, but there is no confirmed opening date for it.  I talked to a friend of mine who is actually a Disney vacation travel agent, and she says "summer," which is vague.  Of all the people that would know, she would LIKELY be the best.  And yet she doesn't.  However, that doesn't stop me from coming here to see if just MAYBE one of you guys has heard anything.

So what's up, folks? Anyone know or heard rumors that it might be open before SDCC?  Anyone have plans on going if that's the case?  I plan on buying airfare in maybe February or March so I'm hoping for a definitive answer before then.  If not... I guess my 20/20 trip is gonna be hecka huge instead.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Will Star Wars land at Disneyland be open before SDCC?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 03:21:05 PM »
As you say, there is no official date. However, I know they're aiming for summer. 'Summer' *usually* means June. They like to have stuff open before the July 4 weekend. But no one knows for sure.

I have a room booked for 1 night at Disneyland (the Friday before SDCC) just in case... but it's cancelable, so no skin off of my nose if it doesn't happen. That's trickier to do with airfare.

You *should* be safe with mid-July... but the question is, how much are you risking if you are wrong?

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 03:40:01 PM »
As you say, there is no official date. However, I know they're aiming for summer. 'Summer' *usually* means June. They like to have stuff open before the July 4 weekend. But no one knows for sure.

I have a room booked for 1 night at Disneyland (the Friday before SDCC) just in case... but it's cancelable, so no skin off of my nose if it doesn't happen. That's trickier to do with airfare.

You *should* be safe with mid-July... but the question is, how much are you risking if you are wrong?

I'm missing 8 additional hours of PTO and risk landing in an airport really far from where I want to end up (San Diego).  Trying to find a way from Orange County to San Diego is a struggle to begin with, but it's a struggle I'm willing to make for Star Wars lol

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »
For transportation, I believe the general recommendation is to take the train.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 04:30:42 PM »
Yep, if you don't have cosplay-levels of luggage the train is definitely the way to go. The Anaheim train station is a short Lyft from the park, or possibly bussable/walkable depending on where you're staying. And then the train will take you straight into downtown SD. A one-way ticket will run $30-45 depending on if you want business class or not.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 04:43:19 PM »
Ohhhh thanks guys!  Two years ago I did a big complicated thing where I was bumming rides off of two people to get from one place to the other.  Went to Disneyland one day, went home with a friend, then my cousin picked me up from the friend's house and drove me the rest of the way.  It was complicated and took two days and perfect scheduling lmao.  I appreciate this tip.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 06:42:37 PM »
I third the suggestion of taking the train. A couple of years ago, I went from D23 in Anaheim down to SDCC by taking the train, and it was very easy. I had my biggest suitcase with me and managed okay - I checked it because it was so big. I picked it up in San Diego at the luggage area at the train station when we got there.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 08:52:47 PM »
I wholeheartedly endorse the train. I’ve used it between LA and SDCC. It’s easy and much more comfy than a plane or car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
Will Star Wars land at Disneyland be open before SDCC?
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 08:58:49 PM »
Regarding Star Wars - Galaxy’s Edge. I’m going to skip the crowds of the opening weeks and save my energy for SDCC 50. I plan to stay an extra day or two after WonderCon 2020 and visit it then. But I totally get not wanting to wait. I hope you have a great time!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 07:15:09 AM by mickeyjack3 »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 09:24:48 PM »
Sara has done the train the past two years, and Megan and Justine rode it with her last year.  There was a delay on the way home but other than that it was easy peasy :)

Offline jclemy

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 09:40:08 PM »
I'm doing Disney after Comic Con so hoping that it's ready too. It makes sense they would get it done for the whole summer season.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 07:19:03 AM »
I'm flying into Long Beach a couple days ahead of SDCC with the purpose of hitting up Galaxies Edge.  I know it will be insane with the area just opening (hopefully) but really only time I'm ever in CA is from Comic Con so going to try and pair them up.  Was planning on taking train down after Disney as has been suggested by the awesome FOCC folks.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 09:44:39 AM »
Awesome feedback everyone.  I took a train from Portland Oregon down to LA once (it took like 40 hours lol) and I totally don't remember how the luggage worked.  It was way back in like 2012.  Do you just store it overhead like on a flight?

I'm setting myself a hard deadline to decide on if I want to risk it for mid March.  I get a bonus check from work then, which I'll use to purchase my flights.  Hopefully in the next 3 months we get some confirmation on if it'll be open by then or not.  If not...  idk man I'll flip a coin.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 10:15:38 AM »
Awesome feedback everyone.  I took a train from Portland Oregon down to LA once (it took like 40 hours lol) and I totally don't remember how the luggage worked.  It was way back in like 2012.  Do you just store it overhead like on a flight?

I'm setting myself a hard deadline to decide on if I want to risk it for mid March.  I get a bonus check from work then, which I'll use to purchase my flights.  Hopefully in the next 3 months we get some confirmation on if it'll be open by then or not.  If not...  idk man I'll flip a coin.

If your baggage is small enough, there are usually overhead racks and sometimes racks near the doors where you can put your luggage. If you have something big like I did or just don’t want to bother dragging it around, you can check it at the baggage area at the train station and then your luggage can go in the baggage car. They’ll load it and unload it on carts like they do at the airport, so when you get to San Diego, you go to baggage claim at the train station and pick up your bag. I had to get there earlier than normal (maybe 45 minutes before departure) in order to check my bag. I don’t know how strict they are about that. Checking my bag was free though!

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 10:32:48 AM »
Just in case anyone else is following this thread - checked baggage service is only available at selected Amtrak stations. Anaheim and Downtown SD are both on the list, but not all SoCal stations are. So if you're considering taking the train from a different starting point, check the Amtrak website before you pack your bags.

(The luggage situation is the main reason I don't take the train to SDCC. I'd love skipping traffic but with big luggage + cosplay props it's too much to deal with, and you can't check luggage at my home station.)