Author Topic: Comic-Con Int'l Masquerade - Saturday, July 23, 8:30pm - 11:30pm, Ballroom 20  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
If you're planning to attend this, please post here!

The Ballroom 20 stage becomes a showplace for a fun competition of creativity, with impressive re-created and original costumes crafted by our talented attendees, presented in front of an audience of thousands. Not a dance or party, but a talent show on a stage, with trophies, cash prizes and other awards for the top entries. Doors open for audience seating at 8:00, but the line for choice seating will begin hours earlier. Since the ballroom can fill up, tickets are required for seating inside and will be given out free at noon to those lined up near the ballroom. Any tickets that remain will be given out at the Masquerade Desk after 3:00. The Master and Mistress of Ceremonies will again be writer/artists Phil Foglio and Kaja Foglio of Studio Foglio/Girl Genius, and there will be special entertainment during the Judging Intermission. Ballroom 20. Overflow seating available in the Sails Pavilion, 5AB, and 6A (tickets not required for those rooms).

Offline good_job_artoo

• Freebie Table
  • Helping make movies at Industrial Light & Magic
    • whatcraigdrew.com
  • Liked: 18
I'm hoping to attend this for the first time this year. How quickly do tickets run out (aka what time should I be in line on Saturday?)

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline EightiesKid

• Exhibit Hall
I went to this for the first time last year and it was really fun.  The emcee's are good and the crowd really gets into it.  The costumes are fantastic and it ends up being a pseudo-talent show with music and entrances for the contestants.  There were some very impressive entries last year. 

For tickets, they are handed out upstairs in the afternoon.  They are free, but you need to have one to enter the masquerade.  I think I showed up maybe 30 minutes before the start of the masquerade and I was able to get a seat halfway back in the room.  Seating was not a problem last year, I think you can get a seat if you show up.  It's not as bad as Hall H.  I'd love to go again this year but it's harder now with little ones at home. 

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
Thanks for the tips guys! I've always wanted to attend, I may try this year

Offline good_job_artoo

• Freebie Table
  • Helping make movies at Industrial Light & Magic
    • whatcraigdrew.com
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I went to this for the first time last year and it was really fun.  The emcee's are good and the crowd really gets into it.  The costumes are fantastic and it ends up being a pseudo-talent show with music and entrances for the contestants.  There were some very impressive entries last year. 

For tickets, they are handed out upstairs in the afternoon.  They are free, but you need to have one to enter the masquerade.  I think I showed up maybe 30 minutes before the start of the masquerade and I was able to get a seat halfway back in the room.  Seating was not a problem last year, I think you can get a seat if you show up.  It's not as bad as Hall H.  I'd love to go again this year but it's harder now with little ones at home.

Nice! I definitely feel better about getting in. Can't wait!!

Offline genieinthelamp

• Freebie Table
  • Howdy!
TL/DR:  Don't wait 7+ hours for the Masquerade.  3 is probably just fine.

Last year I attended my first Masquerade.

My friend had been to Comic Con many times but had this at the top of her list.

I think I started camping around 1pm and was about 5th in line.

Got a ticket from one of the ushers, made line friends, went to lunch, brought lunch back for line friends, socialized, listened to music, and passed the time.

Can't recall exactly when they started letting us in, but made a bee line for the front couple rows of seats.  Nailed it.

There were some very good costumes, but also a lot of average ones.  I guess I had built this up in my mind a bit more professional than it was.  Don't get me wrong - this wasn't a children's Halloween event or a cruise ship variety show.  But, well, I had higher hopes.

Generally the judging matched up with what I expected would win.

I'm aware there are folks who attend the Masquerade every year as a tradition.  Cheers to them, the organizers, and the costumers who make the event a success.  Enjoy!