Author Topic: Hall H Wristbands  (Read 10416 times)

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
Re: Hall H Wristbands
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2017, 02:22:56 PM »
Give everyone an Oculus / Vive so we can all virtually be in Hall H.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2017, 10:34:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This is going to be the elephant in the room for 2018.  How to fight off counterfeit wristbands.

A ticket lottery tied into your badge would not surprise me.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 02:30:24 AM »

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2017, 11:02:11 AM »
I don't forsee any type of lottery but I do have to imagine they are going to incorporate the RFID chip from the badge somehow into the Hall H process.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2017, 11:52:41 AM »
I don't forsee any type of lottery but I do have to imagine they are going to incorporate the RFID chip from the badge somehow into the Hall H process.

The complaints about Hall H weren't solely about the counterfeit badges.  More people were bothered by excessive line cutting.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4558
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2017, 11:55:03 AM »
The complaints about Hall H weren't solely about the counterfeit badges.  More people were bothered by excessive line cutting.

Agreed.   Emotions were high and some people were scary with how angry they were.   I saw one guy yelling  F* CCI at the top of his lungs.   People yelling in securities face. 

These problems are very serious.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2017, 11:57:18 AM »
NYCC did a lottery this year for half the seats for each panel in the main stage. I hope SDCC never goes the same way. I’m happy to wait in line for a long time to make sure I get in. If they go lottery, I may as well forget about ever getting into the popular panels again.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2017, 12:06:40 PM »
Conversely, I think moving to a lottery system is the ONLY way I'll ever get into the most popular panels in the future. I'm willing to commit time to waiting in lines, but not my whole Con. And even working with a line group, starting Saturday lines on Thursday just feels wrong to me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 830
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2017, 12:19:11 PM »

Agreed.   Emotions were high and some people were scary with how angry they were.   I saw one guy yelling  F* CCI at the top of his lungs.   People yelling in securities face. 

These problems are very serious.

Line cutters tend to be sociopaths.  They know people will be against them, so they prepare to be aggressive to fight off anybody that tries to stop them.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2017, 12:47:33 PM »
Conversely, I think moving to a lottery system is the ONLY way I'll ever get into the most popular panels in the future. I'm willing to commit time to waiting in lines, but not my whole Con. And even working with a line group, starting Saturday lines on Thursday just feels wrong to me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Don't expect to get in with the lottery either.  The problem with a lottery system is that you have people who enter thinking "If I get in, maybe I'll go depending on what else is going on," or "My friend wants to see that panel so I'll enter to help them."  So then you'd have how many tens of thousands of people entering the lottery for 6000 seats -- not good odds.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2017, 12:49:25 PM »
I agree.  I've gotten the impression CCI's thoughts on line-cutting is "we need to train security better" but the counterfeit wristband shenanigans was far more unsettling in their eyes.

Heck, even something as simple as a better-than-paper wristband would probably suffice.  I mean, there's a reason why TONS of bands use wristbands for certain seating at their show (I saw Metallica at Petco Park in August and with my GA on-field ticket they put a heavyish vinylish wristband on with the event and date printed on) w/minimal problems.  Unfortunately, in hindsight, it seems counterfeit wristbands was only a matter of time given how cheaply-made and easily-coppied they've been past years.  An RFID wristband would put the nail in the coffin I think: but even a better/more elaborate/much hard to fake wristband would likely do the trick: maybe a vinyl wristband that has to be snapped to wrists (instead of sticker-esque) with embossed lettering + holographic/3d-type printing or sticker on it.  Heck, even if they put the CCI logo in a hologram sticker on the bands.  Like, say, they put the CCI logo to be like a hologram sticker like MLB uses on their products to designate authenticity (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login): they can have the unique serial #, hologram CCI logo, and date.

Either way, I think there are a myriad of options to significantly minimize counterfeiting.
Line ditching, on the other hand, is ALL about training security staff and CCI staff being uber-vigilent about that.  I think that will always be a problem to some extent unless CCI enforces a hard-line "stay in line for ever" type of policy (which seems HIGHLY unlikely).

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2017, 12:59:58 PM »
Also lotteries for each panel means clearing in between panels.  Clearing in between panels means more time in between panels, which means fewer panels.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2017, 01:11:57 PM »
I saw how long the line was in back one day and they would have to have security patrol for cutters, but then im sure they would have some lame excuse as to why they jump ahead instead of waiting at end so secuirty would be more like babysitting in ways to try stop any one from cutting if ever. so they need a way as said above to have those in line be wearing something that cant be made so easily, cause i guess those who made save the band and made so many to have to wear the day of event and those who passed out bands thought they was real ones but wasnt. i say give u something they scan and it records a number or a certain code i guess so if it fake scanner goes red but if real goes green as u enter the place.

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2017, 01:14:19 PM »
Also lotteries for each panel means clearing in between panels.  Clearing in between panels means more time in between panels, which means fewer panels.

And seeing how inefficient they were last year at loading...that would be an absolute nightmare.  I know on Thursday I barely made it in before Kingsman started and I went to the line and was in a spot under the tents that normally would have made it in with plenty of time to spare, and when I went in the room was 1/2-2/3 full.  For the first panel of the day they should have the room full before it starts, if not it's just poor planning.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2017, 01:15:05 PM »
You can do that with RFID on the badges.  NYCC already does for the main stage.  If you got in via the lottery it was loaded to your badge.  For the other half of the seats, you lined up in the morning, and they tapped your badge, loading the panel to your badge.  Then when it was time to go into the panel, they tapped your badge again.

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2017, 01:24:56 PM »
This topic is very near and dear to my heart as a person that runs a line group and does Hall H both Fri & Sat each year.  I would be VERY against any type of lottery.  Agree with sefton42 that is would become even more a nightmare than offsites/parties have become.  Every announced party and offsite sells out/maxes out on RSVPs within seconds because everyone has now become accustomed to signing up for everything they can and will show up to what they actually want.  Hall H would be even worse than that.  My group puts in the work to get into Hall H, follows all the rules, and gets rewarded for it every year.  I certainly wouldn't want to miss out because thousands of people were randomly selected for stuff they are half heartly care about.  I can't even fathom the logistics of trying to clear and subsequently fill Hall H to capacity between panels.  Just time wise there would only be like 3 panels that day.

Yes line cutters and sneaky people suck and ruin stuff but don't think there will ever be concrete solutions for that.  My suggestion for Hall H would be keep next day line and wristbands (maybe better ones) the same so people can still leave and come back in morning.  However, since we all know RFID works now and Hall H has seperate entrance when they give you your wristband they should be able to scan your badge and load in the Hall H entrance for that day.  Will make that already slow process even slower but would get rid of the majority of issues.  No more people snagging extra wristbands and counterfeighting wristband would be useless.  Thoughts?