Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion  (Read 57916 times)

Offline Loliiz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 44
Re: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion
« Reply #300 on: April 25, 2019, 10:54:00 AM »
Last year I was invited to this event (after my first time attending and volunteering at the con) and I was so excited about it! Sadly I couldn't go to San Diego on that day. I think I stand out in 2017  in my shift at portals
Since I just volunteered on preview night in 2018, and on a different department (BBL this year) I think this time I didn't stand out and that's why I  didn't got the email this year :/

Enviado desde mi XT1650 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #301 on: April 25, 2019, 11:20:03 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It’s a different commitment than regular volunteering.  They only want the best volunteers so someone thought you were exceptional.  I love it and would encourage anyone to attend, listen and decide if it is for you. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh boy it is. It's vastly different. I'm joking, but it's signing your life away to SDCC ;) Well actually I'd say it depends on the department. But agreed on the exceptional aspect. Someone who had some clout deemed you worthy to potentially come back as a department volunteer.  And I too always encourage anyone and everyone who gets the invite to go.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #302 on: Today at 03:42:55 AM »

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #302 on: April 25, 2019, 12:07:23 PM »
It really depends on what department you got assigned as a daily, if they gave you a great score, took notice of you, or otherwise you stood out in some form or fashion. Not everyone gets the email. If you do, I always push everybody to attend. I will not spoil or tell everyone what happens at these events, but again, I am telling you to go for a reason. Take that how you want...... ;)

Well, I'm extremely honored now. If I were to get an invite again, would you recommend going even if travel costs are required?
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #303 on: April 25, 2019, 01:19:52 PM »
Well, I'm extremely honored now. If I were to get an invite again, would you recommend going even if travel costs are required?

See, I can't tell someone to spend their hard-earned money. I have no right to tell you or anyone what to do. I will say there are multiple variables. A) how much those travel costs are. B) if you think you'd be happy being a department volunteer (meaning you work many more hours, and may not be able tom see much if any of the con) That's worst case scenario, but depending on the department, it's a possibility.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #304 on: April 25, 2019, 01:30:04 PM »
See, I can't tell someone to spend their hard-earned money. I have no right to tell you or anyone what to do. I will say there are multiple variables. A) how much those travel costs are. B) if you think you'd be happy being a department volunteer (meaning you work many more hours, and may not be able tom see much if any of the con) That's worst case scenario, but depending on the department, it's a possibility.

Fair enough. Thank you for the detailed analysis. :)
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #305 on: April 25, 2019, 01:32:38 PM »
Fair enough. Thank you for the detailed analysis. :)

You're welcome. If money isn't an issue, then again, I highly suggest attending, just to put your feet into the water, and have a feel for things.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #306 on: April 25, 2019, 02:17:39 PM »

I think the question should be phrased, "If you were I, what would you do?" 

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #307 on: April 25, 2019, 03:31:43 PM »

I think the question should be phrased, "If you were I, what would you do?"

That's easy. I would plop the money down, and go to the event. It's a one time thing with the money, and can potentially open up doors you never thought possible.......But that's easy for me to say. I have a decent job and have been saving since college. Not everyone is as lucky as I. SDCC is not important in the grand scheme of things, food, shelter, and family are. Now if you have extra money....then SDCC and this event is worth it ;)

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #308 on: May 01, 2019, 04:15:27 AM »
[member=4284]Jonathan[/member] - Very much appreciate your insights!  Thank you :)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Eric_Draven66

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #309 on: May 15, 2019, 08:37:08 PM »
Does anyone know if theres notice before pre con volunteering emails go out? about when does it happen? my first time volunteering and I would like to be able to get a choice of what day to pick.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #310 on: May 15, 2019, 09:51:58 PM »
Does anyone know if theres notice before pre con volunteering emails go out? about when does it happen? my first time volunteering and I would like to be able to get a choice of what day to pick.

Not in my experience.  The call goes out when the call goes out.  We still should be weeks away from it.  Unless they do as the offsites have been doing and go early.

2 years ago, the call went out and closed really quickly.  But there was a second round of calls later on.  Last year the window was open a long time before closing.  Which mirrors how the volunteer registration has been going.  If that holds up then this year hopefully will be another long window and it won't be a quick dash that lasts a few minutes.

I have always gotten the day and shift I asked for.  It has been reported that some people not only don't get the shift they ask for but not even the day.

Offline ccparka

• Exhibit Hall
    • Vertical Slice Media
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #311 on: May 16, 2019, 10:36:36 AM »
So for anyone that's volunteered in the past, what's that first day of volunteering like? Specifically, what do you do your first day when you show up? Walk up to the front door? How does that procedure work?

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #312 on: May 16, 2019, 11:09:55 AM »
So for anyone that's volunteered in the past, what's that first day of volunteering like? Specifically, what do you do your first day when you show up? Walk up to the front door? How does that procedure work?

Your first day is pretty much the same as everyday you volunteer.  You go to volunteer HQ and check in for your shift.  Then someone will lead you to where you will be working unless you are part of the rapid response squad then you sit in volunteer HQ in case there's any rapid responding needed.

The difference between the first day and all the other days is that you pickup your badge and bag full of goodies.  Unless your first day is a pre-con shift then you don't pick up a badge since it probably won't be available for pickup yet.

In general you go to volunteer HQ to sign up for a shift and then return to check in for your shift.  Rinse and repeat as desired.

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
« Reply #313 on: May 16, 2019, 11:48:18 AM »
So, as a volunteer its up to us to decide how many days to work? and they give a badge for each day of volunteering correct? first time volunteering after 3 years, time to give something back lol

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #314 on: May 18, 2019, 08:12:36 PM »
I went to the recruiting event today.  About the same amount of people were there as last year.  As is my constant, I didn't win anything in the raffle.  Raffles are not kind to me.  Pizza is always a good thing.  The crowd didn't seem as social as it was last year.  It was quieter.  Most people just kept to themselves.  You can't shut me up so I was jabbering to anyone who would listen.  I met a surprising number of people who have been to the recruiting event more than once.   I think most of the people I talk to had.  Last year, I only met one person who had.

My brain was mush today.  I blame it on the haggis.  I couldn't remember the simplest things.  How long have you been volunteering?  Wait... let me think.  Turns out the number I gave was off by a year.  What jobs did you do last year?  For the life of me, I couldn't remember them all.  Still can't.  What is your favorite panel of all time?  Ah.... hm...... this one.  What is your second favorite panel of all time?  Silence inside my head.  I had to rack my brain and my brain wasn't helping.