Author Topic: Tentative SDCC programming schedule?  (Read 2692 times)

Offline randymeeks

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
Tentative SDCC programming schedule?
« on: April 09, 2018, 01:00:42 PM »
Hello!

First timer here. I have watched a lot of YouTube experiences in Comic-Con and read a lot of this forum, and I'm really aware of one thing: I have to plan everything and have a plan B just in case.

But, of course, that's impossible without a schedule. So, my question is... When does Comic-Con release the first panels, autograph booths, off-site experiences...? From what you've experienced in other years, can we start planning in May, June... or the complete schedule is only going to be available in July?

Thank you and sorry for my English - I'm from Spain and not bilingual :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:14:41 PM by Zero »

Offline chaosdreamer

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
Re: Tentative calendar
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 01:07:35 PM »
I think it's usually 2 weeks before the actual day.  So the anticipate schedule for Thursday July 19 will be released on Thursday July 5, the schedule for Friday July 20 will be released on Friday July 6, and so on.  I say "anticipated" because the schedules are always subject to change!

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Tentative SDCC programming schedule?
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:36:04 AM »

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 02:26:13 PM »
Correct the official announcement of panels is exactly 2 weeks prior.  We will mostly have an idea of what the major panels are about a week prior to that as things are leaked by the respective companies/studios.

Autographs and exclusives announcements will actually be starting pretty soon as the months leading up to SDCC things start get pretty hectic.  You won't know the exact time/day of some of the signings but you will have an idea of who is doing signings and what exclusives companies will have way before the 2 weeks out.

For off-site experiences some of those get announced/RSVP as early as May.  The majority of the big things that require tickets/RSVP like Conan will be the end of June.

Offline princesslucky

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 02:29:25 PM »
Yes. A couple weeks is the best we can expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:13:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hello!

First timer here. I have watched a lot of YouTube experiences in Comic-Con and read a lot of this forum, and I'm really aware of one thing: I have to plan everything and have a plan B just in case.

But, of course, that's impossible without a schedule. So, my question is... When does Comic-Con release the first panels, autograph booths, off-site experiences...? From what you've experienced in other years, can we start planning in May, June... or the complete schedule is only going to be available in July?

Thank you and sorry for my English - I'm from Spain and not bilingual :)

Forum Housekeeping:

Renamed thread from "Tentative calendar" to "Tentative SDCC programming schedule?" (to clarify what the person in the first post is actually asking).

Moved from "CCI General Discussion" to "SDCC Programming, Panels, and Lines" forum area.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 07:36:28 AM »
randymeeks--

Speaking from 18 years of experience attending the con, two weeks is plenty of time to plan.  The fact they release on day's schedule a day gives us time to digest it.

Some things to know, in general, about the schedule that are common every year:

• Friday and Saturday tend to have the biggest panels in Hall H.  The most popular TV shows and most anticipated movies tend to be scheduled then
  • Many of the Sunday panels are geared to Kids.  It's called Kids Day.  While the convention lasts until mid-afternoon on Sunday, it really winds down.  There are usually a few panels on Sunday in Hall H that are easier to attend.  Many of the off-sites get dismantled on Sunday.
  • If you are interested in attending the masquerade, it's Saturday night.
  • The Eisner Awards are Friday Night
  • Preview Night (Wednesday) includes a presentation of pilots by WB
  • Many offsites are independent of the convention and get announced at unpredictable times. Regularly visit our "offsites" thread for announcements

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 10:46:49 AM »
Alot of mixed comments and info above, besides thinkng u have to do all try do what u can around take time to eat and rest if need be in any shade possible incase it like real hot any day between 10am-3pm. unless sun decides to rise sooner just be ready for any u wanna and can do at time. they give u a book of schedule and they have then at like a display to the left ea day before u go into the exhibit hall to see all possible.

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 11:27:15 AM »
Not only is it good to have a plan B, it's also nice to have plans C,D,E, etc. The hardest thing on planning is choosing priorities: Hall H or attend that autograph signing? Shower or camp out for a raffle?
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 02:06:31 PM »
Not only is it good to have a plan B, it's also nice to have plans C,D,E, etc.

Truth. I make a color-coded spreadsheets with Plan A-C, but I also carry around a copy of "my schedule" (aka all the panels I'm interested in) in case it turns out none of them work out. Last year on Friday, I had Conan tickets so I didn't make any backup plans, and then I wasn't able to claim my Conan tickets, so Friday afternoon had a huge gaping hole in it.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 02:24:41 PM »
Yea, have some idea what i wanna do, but untill the post schedule the rest is really up in air and do what i can after i get main stuff done first ea day if anyhting. i know first day gotta check in for volunteer and hope for same job if possible, then hang out front and try sit on bech so not gotta stand so long or get pushed to get in lol. try get any comic signor just try say hi to anyone i know from fb and comic makers. circle major labels fro swag want most. visit small press and and try meet guesst i know be at con by chance. so have some plans but not sure what else till later.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 07:26:49 PM »
There are some studios that seem to set their TV shows/movies at the same day/time every year. For instance if you're a fan of the CW DCTV shows, they're always in the later half of Saturday in Ballroom 20.  Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are usually the first two panels on Friday late morning in Hall H (add Fear the Walking Dead to that day/room as well). On Saturdays, Marvel is the last panel and WB is usually the first or second panel in Hall H. On Sunday, Supernatural is usually the first panel in Hall H and there is usually a BBC show on Sundays in Hall H too. If you are a fan of a particular show, I would look at last year and the previous year's schedule to find out if that show had a consistent day/room. If they had the same schedule for those 2 years, they will most likely have a similar schedule this year. You can usually find it by googling.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 11:25:31 AM »
Since i volunteer, i can only wait to check in and try do same window of time like last year then can try check out a panel that doesnt conflict with a panel i mite wanna check out. since doing a job gets me into the con , i be sure it priority over anything and try do all i can before and after job.

Offline EightiesKid

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 04:14:51 PM »
Yes it is important to have a plan, but I have also found that it is equally important to be able to adjust to circumstances.  You may learn that a panel you wanted to see but expected to be full is suddenly available.  Or you may have a chance to meet a creator, writer, actor, etc. who you had not expected.  It's good to take whatever opportunities are there, and then see if you can get back to your original plan.  And if not, you can wander the exhibit hall as there are always cool things going on there. 

You will also very likely hear about things going on at SDCC during the show that you had not heard of beforehand.  SDCC has become so large that there are always things going on.  I believe that it helps to have an approach that combines planning, along with the ability to be flexible when you learn of new stuff. 

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 08:03:25 AM »
Yes it is important to have a plan, but I have also found that it is equally important to be able to adjust to circumstances.  You may learn that a panel you wanted to see but expected to be full is suddenly available.  Or you may have a chance to meet a creator, writer, actor, etc. who you had not expected.  It's good to take whatever opportunities are there, and then see if you can get back to your original plan.  And if not, you can wander the exhibit hall as there are always cool things going on there. 

You will also very likely hear about things going on at SDCC during the show that you had not heard of beforehand.  SDCC has become so large that there are always things going on.  I believe that it helps to have an approach that combines planning, along with the ability to be flexible when you learn of new stuff.
Have a plan, but be flexible and know options.  There have been years where I had pretty firm plans on a specific day, then dumped them all when I found out about a rad offsite or when I went after some sketches from some favorite artists.  I like to have plans but also to always be on the prowl in regards to exploring what else is out there

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 08:10:54 AM »
Also accept that, while you have a plan (12% of a plan? :)) the odds are not too bad that it'll go the way of the dodo.  Usually I make a list of all the things I want to do and then prioritize.  Once done, My top 3-4 is what usually happens and I don't get to the others.  But again, as opportunities change you can move down that list.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"