Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211554 times)

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2019, 02:47:23 PM »
Anyone know if HBF is keeping their word on mini-fridges in every room this year? It will greatly increase my desire to stay there if so, haha.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2019, 03:26:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How do you do that?

When you complete the form you can request more than one room.  You need to fill in names of occupants, but you can fill in anything, really, which isn't that much of a stretch since lots of people decide on roommates closer to the con.  I've had luck doing this with MGH.  I get two rooms for my own travel party, plus there are a couple buying group members who never seem to get in quickly and travel alone, and I've gotten rooms for them.

I'm still hoping they'll move into the 2000s and let us book hotels through our member ID in real time rather than the crapshoot they currently use.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #77 on: Today at 02:25:16 AM »

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2019, 03:28:33 PM »
When you complete the form you can request more than one room.  You need to fill in names of occupants, but you can fill in anything, really, which isn't that much of a stretch since lots of people decide on roommates closer to the con.  I've had luck doing this with MGH.  I get two rooms for my own travel party, plus there are a couple buying group members who never seem to get in quickly and travel alone, and I've gotten rooms for them.

I'm still hoping they'll move into the 2000s and let us book hotels through our member ID in real time rather than the crapshoot they currently use.

Thank you for telling [member=5681]sessionka[/member] because my chat was being weird and wouldn't let me respond for some reason earlier. I hope it works out since I plan on going for the Omni this year again.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2019, 03:39:06 PM »
Now that it's the new year I'm going to be refreshing my W-2 page at work constantly because my tax refund is basically my SDCC hotel fund.  I hope hope HOPE that my refund and Hotelpocalypse coincide nicely this year.  Pleaase.

Gonna be trying for the Bayfront again :D

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2019, 03:51:37 PM »

From your lips to CCI's ears. We know it's possible given that other conventions do it, and it would even be good for CCI too - less churn and probably less staffing expense to deal with problems. The only ones it wouldn't be good for is OnPeak, and as they've never seemed to care whether or not there was any service in their customer service, I won't be sad to see them gone (or at least their part of the process greatly reduced).

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2019, 03:57:13 PM »

From your lips to CCI's ears. We know it's possible given that other conventions do it, and it would even be good for CCI too - less churn and probably less staffing expense to deal with problems. The only ones it wouldn't be good for is OnPeak, and as they've never seemed to care whether or not there was any service in their customer service, I won't be sad to see them gone (or at least their part of the process greatly reduced).

And they don't deserve for it to be good for them anymore. It'd come down to the fastest fingers again which I miss a little negl.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2019, 04:24:33 PM »
I would be ecstatic if they even showed any effort whatsoever (even a small one) was added to the process this year. An updated layout? A clear timetable? At this point, them changing the typeface would give me a small boost of enthusiasm.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2019, 04:50:42 PM »
And they don't deserve for it to be good for them anymore. It'd come down to the fastest fingers again which I miss a little negl.

I was really bad at this game my first year.  Took me 4 minutes to submit my hotel request and i thought that was "fast."  Then I got better! Then they changed it...   :o

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2019, 05:07:52 PM »
I was really bad at this game my first year.  Took me 4 minutes to submit my hotel request and i thought that was "fast."  Then I got better! Then they changed it...   :o

I got to 1 minute or less and then they did it this way and now my whole group gets washed even though, every year, we've had someone get in INSTANTLY!
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2019, 05:18:33 PM »
I got to 1 minute or less and then they did it this way and now my whole group gets washed even though, every year, we've had someone get in INSTANTLY!

Same!  We got super good at it and got our top choice for two years.  We've washed out every single year since then.  We either get one of our 5th/6th choices, something not on our list, or nothing at all.

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2019, 05:26:25 PM »
Same!  We got super good at it and got our top choice for two years.  We've washed out every single year since then.  We either get one of our 5th/6th choices, something not on our list, or nothing at all.

They swear it's based on time of entry, yet when you ask, they have no clue how it happened but can't help you...
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2019, 06:31:49 PM »

Other conventions may do it, but are other conventions as huge as SDCC.

I would be surprised if OnPeak is dropped.  Some people may not like it, but they provide a service that allows the Comic-Con organization to focus on the convention, which is a huge logistical challenge.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2019, 10:50:16 PM »
They swear it's based on time of entry, yet when you ask, they have no clue how it happened but can't help you...

Are we sure that timing matters? I thought in 2016 that they were processed in random order? Did that change back to timing?

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2019, 10:59:01 PM »
Are we sure that timing matters? I thought in 2016 that they were processed in random order? Did that change back to timing?

The order you are selected to enter the form is random now. But the forms are then processed (supposedly, according to OnPeak, so take it with a large grain of salt) in order of form entry.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2019, 01:54:44 AM »
I'm still not convinced it's strictly by order of getting in. Even though they say you can take your time filling out the form once you get in, I still think actual submission time factors in as well. Also, we don't have 100% clarity how their duplication detection works. Is it just by emails/phone numbers? Do names factor in? Addresses? IP addresses? (Though I'm fairly confident it's *not* IP addresses, with OnPeak, you just can't be certain).

I do agree with others though. I miss the fast-fingers years. I was really really good* at it, especially in the second year when my browser had autofill on, and most fields were filled out for me.

* The exception was the two years where I mistakenly selected Twin instead of Double, hence ending up with one bed instead of two. In my mind, Twin and Double are synonyms!