Author Topic: NYCC 2017 General Discussions and Questions  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
NYCC 2017 General Discussions and Questions
« on: April 27, 2017, 10:04:56 AM »
Post your questions or thoughts on NYCC 2017 here.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
Re: NYCC 2017 General Discussions and Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 07:23:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

In light of recent events, we want you to know fan safety is our priority. Pls review #NYCC security expectations: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Special note to cosplayers Please review our prop weapons policy as you're working on your cosplay for #NYCC: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:52:47 PM »

Offline mzx380

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 27
Feeling Underwhelmed This Year
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 09:14:47 PM »
Hi Guys
Long time NYCC attendee and I'm feeling that this years show is not carrying any of the umph that used to be in years past.  I am usually in artist alley all weekend but this year it seems like every single artist that I would like to meet will not be there.

Feeling bummed

Offline NYRider

• Hall H
  • Liked: 185
Re: Feeling Underwhelmed This Year
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 10:29:59 PM »
Hi Guys
Long time NYCC attendee and I'm feeling that this years show is not carrying any of the umph that used to be in years past.  I am usually in artist alley all weekend but this year it seems like every single artist that I would like to meet will not be there.

Feeling bummed

They are tearing down the Javits Center North building, for new expansion.  The artist alley will be moved into Hall 1E this year. Which is smaller

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 04:39:49 PM »
I was reading that NYCC may check IDs and if they catch you using someone else's badge, you're banned for life, kinda like SDCC. For those of you that have been to NYCC, how likely do you think that is to happen? We only bought Thursday badges, but a friend who isn't planning to go on Saturday offered to let us use her Saturday badge, and another friend has an extra Saturday badge to sell because that person is no longer able to go. Feeling a little paranoid about it though... Debating whether we want to use these Saturday badges or just treat Saturday as another sightseeing day...

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 05:11:25 PM »
As long as it turns green when you tap in and tap out, I doubt there will be any issues.

Offline thawk

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 124
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 11:17:57 AM »
This will be my first NYCC - I've done SDCC a number of times.  Tips on how it's different or what I should know?  Sifting through content (guests, panels, etc.) feels more difficult than SDCC (but that might be just because I'm used to that). 
nana nana nana nana BATMAN...!

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 12:04:12 PM »
Well the big difference is that the big panels can be in 3 different buildings and each has their own rules.  The general rule is that they don't clear rooms between panels.  However, that is not true of the panels on the main stage, where you have to queue up for the specific panel(s) you want that day.  It's a little contradictory because the bigger panels will likely be at the MSG theater, not the main stage.  Each building has its own rules on what you can bring in -- Javits lets you bring in outside food and drink, Hammerstein and MSG do not.  Hammerstein does not allow umbrellas.  So it's important to know not just what panels you're interested in, but also what building and what those rules are (for example, there was a Westworld panel at Hammerstein last year on Sunday afternoon.  It was pouring rain that day.  I decided not to deal with it just because of their no umbrella policy).  And if you cosplay, each building may have its own rules about that too.
Another difference -- you go through security/bag check at every building.  So that's an issue entering the building each day.
NYCC also does more with RFID than SDCC does so far.  Main Stage panels and access to some exhibitor booths via lottery are being loaded onto your badge this year.

Offline Ultron32

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 03:09:10 PM »
I get the feeling a lot more people entered the lotteries than last year. I wish they made it a little less easy to sign up for things you're only mildly interested in. I won two panels (and I would have much preferred tickets to a signing or an exclusive or even the Ballroom or the Garden).
Oh well.
NYCC 2009-2021

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 03:14:04 PM »
I have a feeling a lot more people entered than ReedPop expected.

Offline Ultron32

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 04:25:32 AM »
Me and someone I'm going with both won the Dirk Gently panel lottery. So I have some extra slots for fan-verified emails. Does anyone else have extra spots for any signings/panels they'd want to trade?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NYCC 2009-2021

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 05:24:50 AM »
If you have not received your lottery results you can send and email to [email protected]
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 6995
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 06:09:12 AM »
I have a feeling a lot more people entered than ReedPop expected.

you might be onto something. When i spoke to Mike Armstrong on Sunday, he implied that the only people who would be entering the lottery for a panel was a 'true' fan- at [member=1222]mllNY[/member] encouragement, I replied that it wasn't going to be the case- everyone was going to enter.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 06:12:12 AM »
Well the fact that they pushed the notifications back a day because of the amount of data also sounds like more than expected.
It amazes me that ReedPop consistently seems to not understand the mentality of congoers.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 6995
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 07:11:43 AM »
Well the fact that they pushed the notifications back a day because of the amount of data also sounds like more than expected.
It amazes me that ReedPop consistently seems to not understand the mentality of congoers.
I wouldn't go so far as to say they don't understand. I believe they were trying to help the mega fans, they just missed the fact that people will enter lotteries just to see if they'll win, even if they're meh about seeing the panel. I think the telling statistic will be when we see how many of the lottery winners show up for the panel iow, how many stand by's they let into the panel.

And honestly, from a big perspective it's a good thing to get lottery winner who are not rabid fans to the panel, that way they may develop into rabid fans.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5