Author Topic: 2 film guys made deal with WB to make all-girl version of "Lord of the Flies."  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
What do you think?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
I can't be unbiased on this one.  They could make an all X-Men version of this book and I wouldn't see it.  Hated the book being tortured with motifs and conch shells in school...  Ugh!

My comment not directed at you, I just hate this book.  :)

Friends of Comic Cons

• Pre-Registration
No offense taken.  I thought it was a good book in the sense that all of us have the capability to become savage beasts if forced on a deserted island with no laws, no rules and no government.

I'm sure the writer and director will have a hell of a time making an all-girl movie version.  The rest of us, I dunno.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 11:26:17 AM by Andrew Costa Mesa »
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
[member=3]Chris[/member] has a really important point. I don't know if this book is still standard curriculum in American schools but a lot of us were exposed to it, in junior high for me. I would imagine that any modern take is partly influenced by that.  This is probably a weird comment but the most interesting thing to me about the remake is that it is an American one, since Lord of the Flies, and the rest of Wm. Golding's work,  is so very British.

Having said that, with the additional comment that I would very much like to see Pincher Martin starring Amy Adams instead, I am curious to see it, conch shell and stick-sharpened-at-both-ends and all :(

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
it was still taught in either jr high or high school, 5 years ago

and yes, [member=3]Chris[/member] lewis hated it too
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Interesting... i liked the book, and gave it to my kids to read. My daughter hated it, but my son really enjoyed it. I guess it's one of those 'love it or hate it' things.

That being said, I've never been enamored of any of the film versions, so I don't see why this should be any different. I'm also against mass-changing of traditional/original/source character appearance purely for political correctness, so that's a turnoff.

Then again, while loving the original and the change to an all-female cast turned me off of watching the new Ghostbusters film, when we finally ended up watching it, it turned out to be okay (which was far better than I was expecting). So it's possible this could be okay too. 

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
What do you think?

I'm open; I'm a rare "meh" in regards to the book and the movie adaptations over the years.  I don't dislike the book, but I don't really like it either (I haven't read it in a looooooong time, though).  I like the idea of a feminine take on it all, and will be curious to see if:
1. they get a woman to write/co-write the film.  I would personally be suspicious if this is an all-male written/directed film since so much of the concept deals with adolescent behavior.  As a boy reading this is middle school for class I always got the sense it was written to play on the animalistic instincts of boys; doing something similar from girls' perspective is a great idea, but I think if the movie does not have a woman writing or overseeing the project it will be more of a male-fantasy version of what guys THINK girls are like, what girls are thinking at that age, etc.

2. will they keep the setting in the (relatively) old-timey days or make it more of a modern setting?  That could make a HUGE difference in tone of the film, actions of the characters, etc.  Either setting (modern or 1950s) could make for some very interesting plot lines and character studies.  I think a modernized version, with the younger generation (seemingly) VERY different from the 1950s youth, could make for a very interesting character study regardless of sex.  A group of girls in this situation in the 1950s could be a fascinating deconstruction of the pre-feminist era of "how girls are 'supposed' to act" vs "how girls WOULD really react in a situation like this."

A woman doesn't have to write it for the film to be good, of course (just like it doesn't need to be written by a prepubescent boy for the original 60s movie to be good), but I think for me at this stage it would lend more credibility.  I guess I'm cautiously optimistic; if they get a woman writer I'll be more excited but either way I'll follow the behind the scenes rumblings and wait for a trailer to make any sort of real judgement.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:36:56 AM by perc2100 »

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
Yeah, I don't trust two men to write a decent script about how teenage girls would act in this scenario. And the thing is, it would be different. If they were like, "Oh, it's LIKE Lord of the Flies, but with girls," then maybe. (Still no.) But it's not going to BE Lord of the Flies because it probably wouldn't go the same way. Lord of the Flies was specifically about toxic masculinity. Girls might get violent in the same situation but it wouldn't be the exact same.

Also this already exists and it's called Beauty Queens by Libba Bray.

And I really hated Lord of the Flies (I had to read it twice in school, ugh), and the movie adaptation we had to watch, and this should really just not happen.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
That moment when you think "a writer at my blog had a good take on this issue" and then scroll down and she's already popped up to drop her hot take on it.

Basically, what she said *points at Jamie's post*

Yeah, I don't trust two men to write a decent script about how teenage girls would act in this scenario. And the thing is, it would be different. If they were like, "Oh, it's LIKE Lord of the Flies, but with girls," then maybe. (Still no.) But it's not going to BE Lord of the Flies because it probably wouldn't go the same way. Lord of the Flies was specifically about toxic masculinity. Girls might get violent in the same situation but it wouldn't be the exact same.

And I really hated Lord of the Flies (I had to read it twice in school, ugh), and the movie adaptation we had to watch, and this should really just not happen.

Offline Transmute Jun

Ooh, never thought of that! I liked that book too, although it was definitely 'fluffier' than LOTF.

• Pre-Registration
I had to read that book in freshman high school in the late 1970s at a private so-called "British-American" school in New York.  By some strange coincidence, I was "introduced" to that book when we were house and dog-sitting for one of my father's co-workers that previous summer in the New York burbs.  I went downstairs and saw this big bookcase and the first book that caught my eye was LOTF.  I thought it was a horror book about people being attacked by flies, then I opened it and discovered it was pretty heavy stuff.

Later that freshman semester, we saw the 1963 movie.
D23 Expo 2017

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
a horror book about people being attacked by flies

10/10 Would read.

Offline Transmute Jun

10/10 Would read.

Already written.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
Already written.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

As a Jeff Goldblum fanatic I'm ashamed I didn't think of this.  To be fair, I didn't know it was a book though. I've seen the 80's film a long long time ago.

• Pre-Registration
As a Jeff Goldblum fanatic I'm ashamed I didn't think of this.  To be fair, I didn't know it was a book though. I've seen the 80's film a long long time ago.

I saw the 1958 version with Vincent Price.  "Help meeeeee!"
D23 Expo 2017