Author Topic: Help a FOCCI forum member hit by Hurricane Harvey  (Read 1443 times)

Offline citizenmilton

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 75
Help a FOCCI forum member hit by Hurricane Harvey
« on: September 03, 2017, 06:45:39 PM »
Hello, Friends of CCI. I hate to intrude on the forum with such a personal request, but, I'm trying to raise awareness for my fundraising campaign. You might not recognize me here, I'm more of a lurker than a poster. I love all the inside info and strategies from folks like Alyssa, or the Englishman in San Diego, or our friends at the Unofficial Blog. The main thread I contribute to is the one tracking the (potential) expansion of the convention center.

I'm also an indie comic creator. Part of why I attend SDCC each year is I'm trying to become one of those fans to make the transition to the creator side of the con experience. I was hit hard by Hurricane Harvey and am currently without a permanent place to live. Me and my brother are hoping to find some options the day after labor day, but this has caught us unprepared. If you could share the URL to help raise awareness, or if you've got a couple extra bucks to donate, that'd be great. The campaign is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - at gofundme (dot) com (slash) TwoDisplacedHoustonians.

Thanks for anything you can do to help.
-Milton in Houston

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: Help a FOCCI forum member hit by Hurricane Harvey
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 07:18:20 PM »
Good luck with moving and getting back on your feet!  I'm so sorry this happened!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:25:30 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 08:35:55 PM »
I'm sooo sorry for your loss [member=3049]citizenmilton[/member]

i am torn tho while we traditionally dislike advertising- i'm going to allow this for two reasons.  One you're a long standing member with good feed back plus i have checked your ip address & it is from around Houston TX.  I say this so others will understand when i allow this post to remain.

I will be checking and seeing what I can do personally to help.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline citizenmilton

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 08:38:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm sooo sorry for your loss [member=3049]citizenmilton[/member]

i am torn tho while we traditionally dislike advertising- i'm going to allow this for two reasons.  One you're a long standing member with good feed back plus i have checked your ip address & it is from around Houston TX.  I say this so others will understand when i allow this post to remain.

I will be checking and seeing what I can do personally to help.

Thanks & believe me I'd totally understand if you had to take it down.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 08:49:26 PM »
Thanks & believe me I'd totally understand if you had to take it down.
I have been hesitent to donate to large corporation... the use so much of the money to cover operating cost. I find donatting to organizations like the local food banks or salvation army to have the most bang for the buck. but gibing directily to someone in need cuts out the middle man
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline citizenmilton

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 08:58:21 PM »
I have been hesitent to donate to large corporation... the use so much of the money to cover operating cost. I find donatting to organizations like the local food banks or salvation army to have the most bang for the buck. but gibing directily to someone in need cuts out the middle man

For those looking for a more general option to help out more people - thus far it seems really clear that the city's most well-known athlete, JJ Watt, his foundation's campaign at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is doing real work that makes a tangible impact. He's a spokesperson for one of the local grocery chains and that chain in particular has been doing amazing things for the city.

And, longer term, down the road, some of the active members of the local comic book community are talking about creating an anthology book - but that's going to take a while to put together. But, by then it'll be out of the news headlines even though the recovery efforts will still be ongoing, so if folks can't help now, keep an eye out for that in a year or so whenever that happens. But I can report to the forum here that the initial discussions are already taking place, even amidst all the chaos.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »
Good luck recovering and getting back on your feet, Milton. I wish you all the best. *hugs*

Offline Kerruvian

• Sails Pavilion
    • Bubbleclips
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 05:14:00 AM »
Mother nature can really suck sometimes. Best wishes my friend.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »
i saw an up date on [member=3049]citizenmilton[/member] gofundmepage. He has keys to his new apartment & spent the last 2 night in his new place along with his bro!!

huge thanks to everyone who donated!!