Author Topic: SDCC, 2018 --Scalpers  (Read 11674 times)

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
Re: SDCC, 2018 --Scalpers
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2018, 01:08:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Becoming the internet police is counter productive; follow the rules here fine I am 110% for that.  Take care of the people you know/family.  Trying to fence the internet is impossible; same with scalping.  There's too much incentive; also like STL ben said it's just a drop in the bucket.  At most what; 10% of tickets get scalped?

Well, on one hand yes.. scalping is cruddy behavior and against CCI's rules. While it happens at other cons, SDCC's hard enforcing of the rules keeps us regular con goers safe to an extent. If it's very difficult to sell, ideally less scalpers will even try knowing that they'll just get shut down or banned, keeping the general price that we all pay up to CCI and not up to a controlling secondary market. (second hand sellers at NYCC have too much control over the price inflation, and then that just raises the incentive for others to try).

On the other hand, I'm happy to be a hard-ass on it if it protects the *buyers*. The less of these scam listings, the less chance that people get screwed over, scammed, or banned themselves just because they desperately wanted to find a way to get to the convention. The less we encourage dishonest tactics, the better.

To be entirely honest, I've seen people with others badges at the convention. At that point, I can only hope the best for them. I won't rat people out, at the very least they didn't get scammed out of a sizable chunk of change. But that risk is always there, so when I see a family begging outside of the convention center, I can just hope that people act honestly and respect the rules. There will always be people who are desperate, and will continue to try despite what the rules say... But it keeps everyone involved out of trouble, and encourages a system where people are less likely to even /want/ to sell their hardearned badges.

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
I'm hoping people don't actually buy these badges. There could be a possibility that they receive bogus badges and it not scan successfully upon entry.

That flat out doesn't happen with Stubhub (or very very very low rates); the penalty for selling fakes is like 140% of the value of the ticket you sold.  Plus they guarantee the tickets.  People buy them all the time; the going rate for a 4 day is 1200 on stubhub (that's a childs pass btw not an adult) or 1500 for an adult.

Well, on one hand yes.. scalping is cruddy behavior and against CCI's rules. While it happens at other cons, SDCC's hard enforcing of the rules keeps us regular con goers safe to an extent. If it's very difficult to sell, ideally less scalpers will even try knowing that they'll just get shut down or banned, keeping the general price that we all pay up to CCI and not up to a controlling secondary market. (second hand sellers at NYCC have too much control over the price inflation, and then that just raises the incentive for others to try).

On the other hand, I'm happy to be a hard-a$$ on it if it protects the *buyers*. The less of these scam listings, the less chance that people get screwed over, scammed, or banned themselves just because they desperately wanted to find a way to get to the convention. The less we encourage dishonest tactics, the better.

To be entirely honest, I've seen people with others badges at the convention. At that point, I can only hope the best for them. I won't rat people out, at the very least they didn't get scammed out of a sizable chunk of change. But that risk is always there, so when I see a family begging outside of the convention center, I can just hope that people act honestly and respect the rules. There will always be people who are desperate, and will continue to try despite what the rules say... But it keeps everyone involved out of trouble, and encourages a system where people are less likely to even /want/ to sell their hardearned badges.

TBH I like scalpers; here's why: they give you an opportunity at a product you might not otherwise have access to.  For example: (I'm using the NFl again here) I'm a packers fan.  Most of the good tickets are held by season ticket holders; if you couldn't scalp then I'd never get a chance at the tickets.  If I'm willing to spend money on it; I like that there is an option.  I hate being stuck on the outside looking in for something I really want to go to. Do I want ALL the tickets priced like that? No; but if 10% are marked up..that's fine by me.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 01:27:43 PM by Devorah »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 09:39:05 PM »

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 01:28:31 PM »
[member=4657]nootheroptions[/member] I combined your two posts in accordance with our rules about double posting. Thanks for your understanding.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2018, 01:37:31 PM »
We've discovered before on other threads in this forum that the forum membership is pretty split on scalpers and flippers. Some people here think there's no problem with it at all and would consider doing it themselves if the effort-to-profit ratio seemed to be worth it. Others hate scalpers and flippers with the fire of a thousand suns.

Whichever side you happen to fall on, I doubt anyone's minds are really being changed in this thread.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2018, 01:42:55 PM »
We've discovered before on other threads in this forum that the forum membership is pretty split on scalpers and flippers. Some people here think there's no problem with it at all and would consider doing it themselves if the effort-to-profit ratio seemed to be worth it. Others hate scalpers and flippers with the fire of a thousand suns.

Whichever side you happen to fall on, I doubt anyone's minds are really being changed in this thread.
LOL @ "fire of a thousand suns"
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2018, 07:50:08 AM »
If and when they start carding badge holders at random or if it ever was to happen, then those who have bought from scalpers may think twice to ever do it again.

I have seen random ID checks many times, at the doors.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2018, 08:17:48 AM »
I have seen random ID checks many times, at the doors.
What door are you going in?  I have never seen that?

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2018, 08:28:48 AM »
What door are you going in?  I have never seen that?

The typical front doors everyone else goes in. I have seen checks multiple times in multiple years.

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2018, 08:49:55 AM »
I got checked last year.... no biggie... but it does happen
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2018, 08:56:14 AM »
Yeah I’ve bought scalped tickets I just 1600 bucks on Green Bay packers tickets like 3 days ago because only season ticket holders get any of the decent seats. Just what you gotta do; it’s a treat so I’m happy with it. Really I think scalping provides a useful service and as long as they don’t swallow the entirety of the tickets you’re just fighting a losing battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2018, 09:57:50 AM »
I don’t think I’ve been checked but security tells me to turn badge around if its flipped as I’m entering the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2018, 10:00:40 AM »

How was it? Where did they check you, at the door, in the convention floor? Did they ask to see your ID to cross-reference with your badge?
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2018, 10:45:22 AM »
Guessing they some how see or check to make sure u have ur badge marked for the day u are there at time. and some how the rfid is fixed so it scans and shows green so they know u cleared for the day u are going into the place. they have like so much security around that if it not showing the badge right, then they will ask u to show so they know ur good for the day. so try keep it facing out as u walk in and get it scanned and make sure it stays facing front till u in con cause guessing it gets flipped around by chance for any reason at time. just dont cause a fuss even if u know ur good cause it can make a small matter even worst.

Offline TeamKiLL3R

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2018, 06:14:52 AM »

Did you get checked because your badge mis-scanned? I have seen them check IDs when this happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 06:58:19 AM »

Me too. I kept going in and out because it was quicker to walk through the center than on the sidewalks.