Author Topic: the annual couch potato thread or what's your preferd 'get in shape' activity?  (Read 129203 times)

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
I go to the gym everyday.  Granted it's in Pokemon Go.  But, hey, it's a start. 
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
Just got an elliptical for my sewing room... I really missed having access to one when we moved out of our last apartment complex. So now I have no more excuses!

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7003
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I go to the gym everyday.  Granted it's in Pokemon Go.  But, hey, it's a start. 

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
I started something new this winter (before Christmas/winter break): kick boxing.  I've never done more than walk or bike for exercise and I wanted to get in some semblance of legit physical health.  I couldn't see myself sticking with aerobics, or other workout methods, but working out via punching & kicking seemed like something that I'd keep up with.  Obviously there is sooo much to a 60 minute class than just punching and kicking, but so far I'm LOVING it.  It's relatively inexpensive ($40 a month for 3 60 min. classes a week - though right now I only go to 2 classes) but I'm really enjoying myself.  Maybe that's the wrong verbiage: I'm getting shredded and kind of don't know what I'm doing yet, but I legitimately enjoy the workouts.  I'm doing this with my son (who's testing for his black belt this spring - so he's making me look waaaay bad) so that makes the experience a little more rewarding.

I've been thinking of doing this ever since seeing SAY ANYTHING... back in the 1980s, but never really thought I'd have the stones to jump in and commit.  I can't wait to see/feel what I'm like by Comic-Con!

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
$40 for 12 classes a month? That's a steal!
My favorite fitness class is $30 for one 50-minute class. I buy class packs and take advantage of all their sales, but even then I can rarely get it down to $20/class.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
Any kinda workout can help ready for the long walks around con and anything else, but with kick boxing it is a work out and if anyone try anything u be ready to attack lol.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
... I can't wait to see/feel what I'm like by Comic-Con!

ANY activity prior to con adds massively to the enjoyment of con. I've run the gambit- massively over weight & out of shape, so so shape, good shape & light- even being so-so with the physical condition sets a person up for a much better con!

that was the premise for starting to talk abt geek fitness- anything and everything is better then nothing. ;)
and this isn't directed to perc2100 but being 60lbs heavier and not able to walk up a flight of stairs led to a miserable end of sdcc for me. On the other side, being 30 lbs lighter & in decent condition (able to walk a mile in 20 min's) led to sprinting across the street/down the block on Monday following con.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 12:10:19 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
Most times i noticed as it portrayed tv and movies that if u out of shape u not able to walk or move as fast maybe. not sure if that for everyone but i know for me once u have a pace or a way u walk and get use to it u can walk faster and walk so much u tend to leave otehrs in the dust so to speak lol. if not gotta stop to catch ur breath or take alot or too many breaks then u might be out of shape so to speak. if got a steady stride as u walk but consider traffic around may slow u down some depends where u going at time. if got comfy shoes to where not gotta sit alot , then u doing ok. just have water bottle u can refill and stay hydrated so not fill thirsty so often and have use restroom so much . have right snacks give u energy to burn off and maybe u grab a some eats at con if feel need or want to hang out and chill for a time to know what u wanna do next incase u have a to do list and do what u can at time.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
Remember everybody: if you want to get in legit shape you have to exercise AND have a good diet.  I changed my diet awhile back and lost around 20 pounds just from the diet change.  Since I started kickboxing before Christmas I've let my diet go (stupid holiday snacking/junk food/candy); I have to be more disciplined about what I eat, and to not eat too much junk after dinner.  I don't know if one can affect awesome health change w/out diet AND exercise: one w/out the other will get you in a better place, no doubt, but not ultimate top health

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Remember everybody: if you want to get in legit shape you have to exercise AND have a good diet.  I changed my diet awhile back and lost around 20 pounds just from the diet change.  Since I started kickboxing before Christmas I've let my diet go (stupid holiday snacking/junk food/candy); I have to be more disciplined about what I eat, and to not eat too much junk after dinner.  I don't know if one can affect awesome health change w/out diet AND exercise: one w/out the other will get you in a better place, no doubt, but not ultimate top health

Agreed, the food part is huge!  Lately I've seen articles about how it is really diet, not exercise, that determines one's weight.  I'd say from my own experience that's accurate.  When I make an effort to write down EVERYTHING I eat and drink, and keep it to 1200 calories or less per day, is when I lose lbs. regardless of how much exercise I do.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
I'm not really a big exerciser (I take the stairs, I walk places, but I don't 'work out' or play sports) but managing my diet does a LOT for me. The biggest single thing I have done that has lowered my weight is intermittent fasting. Second to that is modifying what I eat. Doing both makes a big difference for me.

That being said, after a week at SDCC or a theme park (like Disneyworld) where I'm walking/standing almost every minute of the day, I can see my metabolism in a higher gear, which makes it easier to lose the weight I gained while eating badly at those times.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:13:23 AM by Transmute Jun »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
ANY activity prior to con adds massively to the enjoyment of con. I've run the gambit- massively over weight & out of shape, so so shape, good shape & light- even being so-so with the physical condition sets a person up for a much better con!

that was the premise for starting to talk abt geek fitness- anything and everything is better then nothing. ;)
and this isn't directed to perc2100 but being 60lbs heavier and not able to walk up a flight of stairs led to a miserable end of sdcc for me. On the other side, being 30 lbs lighter & in decent condition (able to walk a mile in 20 min's) led to sprinting across the street/down the block on Monday following con.
As an adult (30's-now, 41) I've never been way overweight, or felt I was in a bad place weight-wise or health wise.  But I've never been in good shape either, except maybe when I was in college.  I've never done anything like this; the only exercising I've ever done was walking, and I was walking 4.5/5 miles an hour when I was at my healthiest.  I'm really excited to see where I'm at in 6 months!  Of course, I reeeeeally need to do better at not eating junk food at night, and eating better meals.  But hopefully that will all click sooner than later

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
Not sure if mentioned before, but i saw documentary about sugar and basically we just eat and it goes to liver to become fat which is the extra weight we carry around at anytime. so besides calories try limit sugar if possible. i know u need some fat on u in ways and some people who are like crazy about fitness may have some or none cause of what they dont eat at anytime time. so i do myself try cut back or limit sugar so i barely eat candy much at anytime and save as well besides loose any weight cause less sugar.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
As an adult (30's-now, 41) I've never been way overweight, or felt I was in a bad place weight-wise or health wise.  But I've never been in good shape either, except maybe when I was in college.  I've never done anything like this; the only exercising I've ever done was walking, and I was walking 4.5/5 miles an hour when I was at my healthiest.  I'm really excited to see where I'm at in 6 months!  Of course, I reeeeeally need to do better at not eating junk food at night, and eating better meals.  But hopefully that will all click sooner than later

It depends on if you want to loose weight- if you're happy where you are & can do everything you want to ( don't feel beat up on the monday after a big con) then there isn't any reason to limit your food- as long as you do get enough healthy stuff.

The problem comes when a person wants to loose weight. Loosing is mostly done in the Kitchen- & while up'ing the metabolic rate helps it's not the key to weight loss.
being fit certainly does help the cloths fit better and makes it easier to loose -

on sunday we're starting the mysterbox challenge- it's a cooking excersize formulated to help us all be a bit more mindful of what we eat- more veg less fat etc.
I'll be posting teh guide lines & food box items here on sunday If anyone wants to take part.

there will be a list of items, folks are asked to pick 4 add their own pantry items or augment with others, and see what they come up with.

it's a challenge in cooking creativity & naming , a prize will be given for the best name ;) since we have folks from all over I'm hoping to get a variety of different meals from the same ingredients that I can cook myself.

once the mysterbox is over, [member=5419]Aaron[/member] is going to be running a veggie challenge during Feb- We're trying to get folks a little more accustom to cooking with fresh produce - but not too wacky- like Kale is still a challenge for me- i'd like to cook with it more but i'm clueless- maybe if i had a way to use it... OH how about I push on aaron to do a veggie of the week that WE nominate /mine is an evil laugh/ He has to figure out how to cook it for us....

Offline Aaron

• Exhibit Hall
  • Getting #ComicConFit for any con (and for life)!
    • Hall H Show Podcast
  • Liked: 45
That's a pretty cool suggestion [member=1]alyssa[/member]! Veggie of the week...I don't want to limit what other people want to do...but I don't mind taking on the challenge for a specific veggie for each week for the forum. In honor of Alyssa's suggestion...Kale will be week one's veggie. Let me know what you would like for the other weeks.

Week 1: Kale
Week 2:
Week 3:
Week 4:

It depends on if you want to loose weight- if you're happy where you are & can do everything you want to ( don't feel beat up on the monday after a big con) then there isn't any reason to limit your food- as long as you do get enough healthy stuff.

The problem comes when a person wants to loose weight. Loosing is mostly done in the Kitchen- & while up'ing the metabolic rate helps it's not the key to weight loss.
being fit certainly does help the cloths fit better and makes it easier to loose -

on sunday we're starting the mysterbox challenge- it's a cooking excersize formulated to help us all be a bit more mindful of what we eat- more veg less fat etc.
I'll be posting teh guide lines & food box items here on sunday If anyone wants to take part.

there will be a list of items, folks are asked to pick 4 add their own pantry items or augment with others, and see what they come up with.

it's a challenge in cooking creativity & naming , a prize will be given for the best name ;) since we have folks from all over I'm hoping to get a variety of different meals from the same ingredients that I can cook myself.

once the mysterbox is over, [member=5419]Aaron[/member] is going to be running a veggie challenge during Feb- We're trying to get folks a little more accustom to cooking with fresh produce - but not too wacky- like Kale is still a challenge for me- i'd like to cook with it more but i'm clueless- maybe if i had a way to use it... OH how about I push on aaron to do a veggie of the week that WE nominate /mine is an evil laugh/ He has to figure out how to cook it for us....
Co-Host of the #HallHshow podcast. #ComicConFit motivator.

Personal:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: AaronNabus

Hall H:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: HallHdotcom

Comic Con Fit:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: ComicConFit