Author Topic: SDCC popularity.  (Read 14813 times)

Offline Berts

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 144
SDCC popularity.
« on: April 24, 2018, 12:37:48 PM »
I've been attending SDCC since 2008 and watched the popularity of the convention absolutely skyrocket with the addition of Hollywood.

Every year though, it seems more studios/companies/productions pull out of SDCC. With Marvel not doing a Hall H panel this year, it go me thinking.

Has SDCC started its descent in popularity/relevance?

Most major movie studios have abandoned SDCC, the freebies/handouts have decreased both in quantity and quality, Disney chooses to showcase almost all of their stuff at D23 now and continues to gobble up more entertainment, Lionsgate pulled out of the deal with Comic-Con HQ, Nerd HQ is no more, Conival has decreased in scope and size, and the general craziness/fervor just seems less now.

What do you think? Am I crazy?

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: SDCC popularity.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 12:47:56 PM »
I've been wondering the same thing, especially with Disney using D23 for their projects.  It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:39:55 PM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 12:52:16 PM »
I don't know how much this means, but I was surprised at how much easier it was to get a volunteer spot this year.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 01:23:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been attending SDCC since 2008 and watched the popularity of the convention absolutely skyrocket with the addition of Hollywood.

Every year though, it seems more studios/companies/productions pull out of SDCC. With Marvel not doing a Hall H panel this year, it go me thinking.

Has SDCC started its descent in popularity/relevance?

Most major movie studios have abandoned SDCC, the freebies/handouts have decreased both in quantity and quality, Disney chooses to showcase almost all of their stuff at D23 now and continues to gobble up more entertainment, Lionsgate pulled out of the deal with Comic-Con HQ, Nerd HQ is no more, Conival has decreased in scope and size, and the general craziness/fervor just seems less now.

What do you think? Am I crazy?

I'm not sure the general craziness is any less now than a decade ago: it's certainly still WAY crazier than it was in 2006 or 2007 or so.
But studios I think are realizing that it's potentially cost-prohibitive to go all-in at Comic-Con.  There is not an explicit cause/effect of "SDCCI popularity equals high BO returns" so studio heads and accountants may not want to put tons of money into it like they did at the height.  I think TV presence is a LOT more than what it was a decade ago, and of course it's still THE convention for comics.

I think CCI is cooling off for film studios but I don't think that equals a general 'less popular' vibe.  I don't think it'll ever be as chill as it was when I first started going in 2000 but we may have definitely seen the peak of popularity and we're on a very slight, gentle down-turn

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 01:23:56 PM »
It might.  Which is both good and bad.  Good because it'll be less competitive for things like badges and hotels going forward. But bad, of course, because the quality of things like you've mentioned (panel options, freebies, etc) would go down.  I'm an SDCC For Life type of person, so even if Marvel pulled out of the con completely I think I'll always go.  SDCC and this forum in particular is like a family to me.  But a lot of people wouldn't go without these things and, hey, that's just how convention culture is I guess.  I'm not sure D23 will ever be as big as SDCC, though.  Even if they horde Marvel and Star Wars to themselves.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »
I too will always go. I could care less if Marvel is there. If that's the only reason some people go, those are weird priorities in my mind. Every turn, every nook, every cranny holds something truly delightful at SDCC. Hall H is really the least of it for me, up until last year, I'd never done the Hall H line or been in it other than a Sunday!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 02:39:27 PM »
Seeing how things have changed or are changing from what i read and all, i know i use to go around 2k before the badge sales started to be sold online only. i have walked into a panel room and chilled with others for marvel panels back when ang lee did hulk and x-men stuff first started i think, daredevil came out with affleck. also terminator movies like t3 based on footage they showed, ecks vs sever. so i have had chance to see marvels panels and not gotta wait in line all nite and day to see it lol. so it has changed alot to where u gotta deal with line cutters and other hassles. also get comics signed for free compared to know from some comic makers. get or got some cool free swag compared to now. i dont remember con goers being vultures just for swag when i went lol. there was no funko lol. it has grown alot cause now days compared to before, u didnt have to go upstairs to sails for any celebs signings. it was all downstairs if i remember right. saw kelly hu at a booth. hercules sister from hercules series. richard hatch from battlestar galactica by chance and had chance chat him some. james cameron walked by me and a friend once and we had no clue it was him till others told us lol. got free witchblade action figure and the top flap signed by the designer or figure maker. so just some stuff remember of years past. also saw lou ferigno in person from a far but was too nervous or saw was charging so didnt chance not have funds for any so didnt even try say hi which i wish i had at time since liked him and still do as playing the hulk in tv series. hope all this makes since try say by what i remember lol. also even though was told pictures didnt come out right, met stan winston creator of all the terminator robots.

hope was readable since i know seems just rambling lol.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 02:41:00 PM »
I've been going since before the big Hollywood panels and will go after they have gone (if they do).  :)

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 02:50:32 PM »
I think if they loose traffic for any reason, it just makes getting badges easier cause not as many are trying to buy as they do now. and be less traffic so more open space so not have staff be yelling to keep moving anytime. if they loose traffic just cause a studio or studios pull out then to me it shows they only go to see studios share stuff and loose the fun of why the con was started and all. so many try to go but cant cause badges are a pain to get now, that if u decide stop going then there are plenty who will take ur spot anytime to say they was able to go to con any year.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
SDCC popularity.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 03:15:17 PM »
I, for one, am NOT thinking that SDCC has peaked or is in a “gentle decline.” Marvel stayed away a couple of years ago and returned the next year. Marvel shows us the good stuff when they have the best stuff to show us. Things change, yes. but it’s not worse. It’s not in decline; it’s just different. I grieve the loss of NerdHQ too, but the number of offsites has exploded. I still think SDCC is more popular than ever, and it hasn’t reached the apex... yet. Next year is the big Five O. How crazy will it be to get that badge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:04:18 PM by mickeyjack3 »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 04:01:30 PM »
The place is packed and it feels like there are practically overnight lines for stale nachos, much less any decent panels. I just don't feel like the crowds are going away...

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 04:02:28 PM »
The place is packed and it feels like there are practically overnight lines for stale nachos, much less any decent panels. I just don't feel like the crowds are going away...
mmm...nachos... :)
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 07:57:26 PM »
I've been wondering the same thing, especially with Disney using D23 for their projects.

Disney figured it could have its own convention and make more money. It's a very Disney thing to do.

The way I see it, as long as tickets sell out in, like, an hour, then SDCC is still pretty darn popular. It's when people stop wanting to go that they have to worry, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 07:58:46 PM »
I don't think it's peaked yet. Last year was crazier than before imo. And I stayed away from Hall h. Others pick up the slack so to speak for the big film studios. And they might return. You have marvel tv, Netflix and others still. Video games, publishers, networks. Cons are still popular, given the proliferation of them, and SDCC will still be one of the top ones. I've been going since before it sold out, like when you could buy your badge for next year on site with a discount, no line. I might stop in a few years though, for other reasons.

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 08:15:55 PM »
You are not crazy.

CCI peaked in attendance and relevancy a few years ago. It is in a slow "decline", if that's the right word, in terms of the industry and it's importance. The crowds aren't going anywhere but it is a different type of crowd.
For the movie industry, some of it dates back to Scott Pilgrim. It was extremely hyped at comic con but withered at the box office. Others like Cowboys Vs Aliens demonstrated that screaming comic con crowds do not translate into ticket sales.
Now, with the media conglomerates, they can have their own conventions and control everything from venue to media.

To be continued...