Author Topic: Newbie FAQs/Discussion for SDCC Badge Buying  (Read 51584 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: Returning badge buying for newcomers
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »
Forum Housekeeping:

Merged "Returning badge buying for newcomers" into our established "Newbie FAQs/Discussion for SDCC Badge Buying" thread to keep similar lines of discussion together.

^__^d
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline pinniped

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 2
Re: Newbie FAQs/Discussion for SDCC Badge Buying
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2017, 04:38:47 PM »
Here's my dilemma: my husband, myself, and a friend have helped each other buy badges every year for 6 years. One of us always manages to get in and buy for the others. But this year, our friend will be on the road and can't physically participate. He's given us his code and we will use a second computer so that "he" can still participate. The complication is that he has asked 2 separate people who are also eligible for returning registration to buy for him in the event they make it in. So my question is, what happens if one of them gets in first, buys for him (as one of the 3 badges they can buy), then "he" gets in on our computer and we use his account to try to buy badges for ourselves and him? Isn't that a second badge for him? Will the system allow it? If "he" gets in but neither me or my husband do, are we out of luck? Just such a nail biter of a situation but that's the worst case scenario. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #92 on: Today at 11:57:30 AM »

Offline BenEatsRice

• Gaming Lounge
  • Waiting In Line
  • Liked: 150
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Here's my dilemma: my husband, myself, and a friend have helped each other buy badges every year for 6 years. One of us always manages to get in and buy for the others. But this year, our friend will be on the road and can't physically participate. He's given us his code and we will use a second computer so that "he" can still participate. The complication is that he has asked 2 separate people who are also eligible for returning registration to buy for him in the event they make it in. So my question is, what happens if one of them gets in first, buys for him (as one of the 3 badges they can buy), then "he" gets in on our computer and we use his account to try to buy badges for ourselves and him? Isn't that a second badge for him? Will the system allow it? If "he" gets in but neither me or my husband do, are we out of luck? Just such a nail biter of a situation but that's the worst case scenario. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Based on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login article I saw today, if you try to enter the room using your friend's MemberID and his badge has already been purchased, you would get kicked out. My suggestion would be that if his Registration Code gets in, you still use one of you or your husband's MemberID upon first entering. Then when you are in the buying stage, you can stick in your friend's MemberID and if it has already been bought for, it will just state that it is ineligible (instead of kicking you out).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:34:11 PM by BenEatsRice »
What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2017, 07:26:43 PM »
Based on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login article I saw today, if you try to enter the room using your friend's MemberID and his badge has already been purchased, you would get kicked out. My suggestion would be that if his Registration Code gets in, you still use one of you or your husband's MemberID upon first entering. Then when you are in the buying stage, you can stick in your friend's MemberID and if it has already been bought for, it will just state that it is ineligible (instead of kicking you out).

This is correct. Use your friend’s registration code to get in the waiting room. If someone else buys for him it will not affect your session. If the session gets into the buying screen, don’t use his User ID. Enter a User ID you know hasn’t been purchased for yet (yours or your husbands).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pinniped

• Freebie Table
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2017, 09:56:38 PM »
Thanks! This helps so much. I'm so relieved.

Offline Kmids

• Sails Pavilion
Returning Registration VS Open Registration
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2017, 10:54:38 PM »
I have a question, so if I got badges for 3 days in Returning Regustration can I still participate in Open Registration in hopes for the missing days?

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
Re: Returning Registration VS Open Registration
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2017, 10:56:38 PM »
I have a question, so if I got badges for 3 days in Returning Regustration can I still participate in Open Registration in hopes for the missing days?

Yup. The only time you can not participate in Open Reg (provided you already have a Member ID) is if you bought all four days AND Preview Night. If you have anything less than that, you can be in Open Reg.

Me, I have four days and will be trying for Preview Night during Open Reg.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2017, 06:12:31 AM »
Note, if you got the badges you wanted but could still participate in Open, you can help out others in a buying group as you still can purchase full badges for others.  I got a 4-Day badge and as I can participate in Open I'll try and help out a buying group.  Food for thought :)
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2017, 02:18:02 PM »

Forum Housekeeping:
Merged this "Returning Registration VS Open Registration" into our established "Newbie FAQs/Discussion for SDCC Badge Buying."

This is where we keep maintain our FAQs for newcomers to help each other better understand the nuances of registration for Comic-Con.  Similar questions, as listed below, were asked and answered in that established thread as well, so feel free to ask more questions there if you need help. ^__~

(Also the time stamps won't overlap, so this newer thread will just be at the bottom of the older thread.)

I was at SDCC '17 and plan to go again in 2018. When I purchase that badge it will be during returning registration. But I want to bring a bunch of people with me. I know they need their own member IDs and that I can't get badges for them during returning reg since they don't/wont qualify. Here's the question: Can I use the same ID to purchase my ticket during returning reg, and those of my friends during open reg (assuming I have their member id's)?

tldr; can i use the same account twice , once for returning, once for newcomers?

Yes.  If you have whatever day sells out first (usually Preview Night) then your Member ID isn't eligible to try again. 

So if you get 4 Day no PN you can participate in Open Reg.

If you get PN, Thu/Fri/Sat you can NOT participate (because you got the the first badge to sell out).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:22:00 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline thewiredknight

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2018, 03:47:11 PM »
Fast question for a friend.

I  have a friend who has a one day badge for this year but can no longer attend due to work.  He's less worried about attending than he is with being eligible for the pre-reg first round for 2019.  Does his badge have to be scanned in AT ALL for him to be eligible for that?  Because he's not going to be able to get to san diego at all so he's worried now that he will lose out on a 2019 pre-reg opportunity.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2018, 04:08:56 PM »
Fast question for a friend.

I  have a friend who has a one day badge for this year but can no longer attend due to work.  He's less worried about attending than he is with being eligible for the pre-reg first round for 2019.  Does his badge have to be scanned in AT ALL for him to be eligible for that?  Because he's not going to be able to get to san diego at all so he's worried now that he will lose out on a 2019 pre-reg opportunity.

An answer from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Q: If I buy an attendee badge for Comic-Con 2018 but cannot attend, will I qualify for Comic-Con 2019 Returning Registration?

A: Historically, attendees who purchased a badge for the previous year qualify for Returning Registration the following year. However, Comic-Con reserves the right to change eligibility requirements at any time, without notice. For more information please review the Comic-Con Terms and Conditions.

No changes have been announced so far!

Offline lordmats0o

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2018, 04:05:39 AM »
Hey guys new to the forums as well. I am aware of how hard it is to get into SDCC and I've failed two years in a row. I've always been skeptical about buying groups but I'm tired of not being able to buy passes. When do buying groups generally form and how can I go about joining one? Am very serious, very determined to go next year. Not sure how it works I'm willing to accept any terms the group has, thanks!

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »
Hey guys new to the forums as well. I am aware of how hard it is to get into SDCC and I've failed two years in a row. I've always been skeptical about buying groups but I'm tired of not being able to buy passes. When do buying groups generally form and how can I go about joining one? Am very serious, very determined to go next year. Not sure how it works I'm willing to accept any terms the group has, thanks!

Welcome to the FoCC!  Buying groups for Returning Registration (for people who attended in 2018) will likely open in a couple months.  You didn't attend, though?  If not, you'll be trying for a badge in Open Registration, which probably won't happen until first quarter of 2019.  There will be an additional opening time between the sales.  Space is limited so keep an eye on the forum over the next few months.  You'll want to do that anyway!!   ;)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2018, 08:19:16 AM »

I would suggest you try volunteering as well.  First step in that process is to get on the volunteer interest list.  That should be opening up in a couple of months or so.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2018, 09:30:21 AM »
Welcome to the FoCC!  Buying groups for Returning Registration (for people who attended in 2018) will likely open in a couple months.  You didn't attend, though?  If not, you'll be trying for a badge in Open Registration, which probably won't happen until first quarter of 2019.  There will be an additional opening time between the sales.  Space is limited so keep an eye on the forum over the next few months.  You'll want to do that anyway!!   ;)

Although...  Open Reg for 2018 occurred last quarter of 2017.

Keep checking the Comic-Con site.
Phasers on Stun!!!