Author Topic: 2019 SDCC Mondo (and Mondo adjacent) Exclusives  (Read 11449 times)

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 77
Re: 2019 SDCC Mondo (and Mondo adjacent) Exclusives
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 03:39:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Daniel Danger made that print. It cost $75 at sdcc, you can buy it for $54 shipped on eBay right now.

I believe I’m referring to the variant. Whatever one sold on the website. There was like 3? Right. The sepia toned one I believe (id have to go check my flat files I paid like 200 for it IIRC).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 06:55:03 AM »
I believe I’m referring to the variant. Whatever one sold on the website. There was like 3? Right. The sepia toned one I believe (id have to go check my flat files I paid like 200 for it IIRC).

Yep thats the same one, you can buy it for less than cost now.  Here is one on ebay for $40 + shipping:

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 02:37:51 AM »

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 07:07:01 AM »
Searching eBay and stuff I only saw a couple of listings for the posters I got last year at the booth and they’re showing double the price I paid. Everyone experiences and enjoys different things. I like to do a little bit of everything and some years it’s camping out for hall h, some years it’s shopping based, etc.  Some people love spending lots of time getting to offsites and I’ve not found a huge need to do so. That’s the beauty there’s something for everyone
Oh I very much get that everyone enjoys things in their own way.  I know some guys that like standing in line more than the actual release half the time.  That baffles me, but to each their own. 

I stood in line at Mondo twice last year and got the 4 posters I wanted.  I didn't mind the lines as it was just about 90 minutes each time....but that being said I have some friends that stayed at the booth all weekend.  Again to each their own, I just find each year I spend less time at mondo going for more jsut the specific ones I want and not EVERY release they have.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 09:15:47 AM »
Danger's Jurassic Park from last year seems to stay above retail, but you are correct when you say the recent releases have been available at or below price from the last few years.

That being said, I think Mondo has the perfect recipe [beyond the slight adrenaline rush] to make their booth a staple experience. On one hand, you have the casual market who have trouble grabbing things online that they can finally pickup. Then you have collectors who don't want to buy from the second market because handling is always an issue at the con and you have a 50/50 shot at getting something that has been gorilla gripped. The line always draws hype because its so long and always capped, so the supply/demand hype carries over and everyone wants to get something at the booth.

But I get where you are coming from [member=3236]stl_ben[/member] - the Mondo line requires the same amount of dedication as the Conan show. Monitor their release schedule all day, and when they finally announce it - figure out how you are going to line up, line up, then wait in line praying to the Old Gods (and the New) that they don't sell out of what you are after by the time you finally make it up there. It can be stressful.

Last year, as Bowie fan and print collector - there was absolutely no way I was missing that Man Who Fell to Earth drop. It was marked as "afternoon", so that morning around 10am I went and got in line, made it up to the front and bought Pelcer Drive since Man hadn't dropped yet. I was out of line by 11, circled the floor to find a friend then thought I should get back in the Mondo line...and when I went back (about 15 min afterwards), Mo (the Mondo employee who seems to be in charge of line management each year) and just walked over and said "line is capped" - he gave the last guy a line the line capped sign and walked off. The end of the line guy looked at me and said "Hey, line is capped"...

...I looked at him and said no the f- its not (not verbally, just with my eyes haha), lol. After me, sure - cap it - but I'm not missing this drop. So for the next hour I just stood at the end of the line awkwardly not moving an inch. The guy at the end of the line kept telling me "hey man, sorry line is capped" as I stood there. Other people would walk up then walk away, but I wasn't going anywhere. Finally, about an hour into awkwardly waiting in line, someone got fed up towards the front of the line that it was taking so long and walked off - and the guy happily looked at me and said "hey you got your spot now!"

Sir, I've had my spot since I got here... lol. The tension dropped after that, and after the two hours or so in line, me and the end-of-the-line guy got to the front and were talking about our favorite Bowie songs and geeking out over music. We'd become line buddies after all that.  ;D

That is one of the reasons, a big reason - that I still go to the Mondo booth. The poster is beautiful and I would have figured out a way to get it someway either aftermarket or trading, but the story I got makes the purchase a legitimate souvenir and reminds me of that year at the convention.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:26:33 AM by rickythump »

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 09:25:16 AM »
Yep the Bowie was the must get for me last year, and the kurtz was a nice runner up.
Picked up the Danger JP from his booth as he had AP copies for $100 (but traded it away for some Scott C stuff once I realized it wouldn't get hung up).

I would say my biggest hope for Mondo this year is they do one set thing for the line.  Either first come first serve, or tickets handed out at the beginning of the day or handed out at certain times....but they changed it almost every day last year which made it impossible to properly plan.

[side note been talking to some of the workers about Mondo Con this year and they are working on a change for the Mondo line so you don't have to stand in it all day and miss every thing else....but nothing is in stone yet]

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 09:36:53 AM »
I would say my biggest hope for Mondo this year is they do one set thing for the line.

Agreed - the line is in desperate need of an overhaul. I grabbed Annihilation as well, but the line was such a poor experience. At some points we were told "this is not a line anymore" and it was so confusing and frustrating. I'd honestly be thrilled if they scheduled the more sought-after releases for morning drops. That way, you could lineup overnight or early in the morning and go to the booth and grab it instead of circling all day waiting for a vague drop time. That was the worst for me.

They seem like too big of a brand and SDCC is too much of a mess to just have "Late Afternoon" as a drop time. That means people will already be in line, and people will rush to your booth in that timeframe and create traffic to an already congested area. I don't want to them to move to lotto - at all - but I hope they can figure out something.

Offline drums12

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2019, 10:15:31 PM »
The line is definitely scary but it tends to go by pretty darn quick. I'm all about the pins every year and I'm usually able to get the ones I want. But then again, probably in the minority here.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:20:08 PM by drums12 »
WonderCon 2011
SDCC 2012-2020 (9 year streak)
SVCC 2016
Fanime 2019
CorgiCon 2017

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 08:51:12 AM »
The line is definitely scary but it tends to go by pretty darn quick. I'm all about the pins every year and I'm usually able to get the ones I want. But then again, probably in the minority here.
Yeah I think the only pin they have done that was hard to get was the Stan Lee one, the rest have all been walk up at end of day when there is no prints.
Pretty similar to the records (which I normally am after)

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 04:26:37 PM »
Yeah I think the only pin they have done that was hard to get was the Stan Lee one, the rest have all been walk up at end of day when there is no prints.

I wonder how feasible it would be for Mondo to have a posters line, and then an "everything else" line.  Of course, if you're getting a poster, you could also pick up other stuff in that line, too.

Seems like it might make operations even more efficient.
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
  • Liked: 143
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2019, 05:15:24 PM »

I’ve become addicted to the vinyl scores as well.
Fun isn’t something one considers when preparing for Comic-Con, but attending does put a smile on my face

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2019, 08:25:38 PM »
I’ve run out of space so I started collecting their vinyls. I can’t remember they usually  are one of the last places to announce drops right?

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2019, 11:11:54 PM »
I'm in a similar boat where I simply don't have enough wall space for posters anymore, but of course, last year, I ended grabbing three more (doh!).  Two of them, I picked up at the end of the day (Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Mary and the Witch's Flower).  I seem to recall that the Mary poster I think I may have picked up at the end of the convention as it didn't seem that popular.  The third poster was the Coraline which I picked up form the Laika event (which was a nice surprise and really convenient).

I do agree that their line system should be overhauled. I'm actually surprised that they were not a part of the initial lottery for exclusives last year.  I know they like to surprise everyone with what they are bringing, but being a part of the lottery would probably spoil that.

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2019, 07:16:40 AM »
I'm in a similar boat where I simply don't have enough wall space for posters anymore, but of course, last year, I ended grabbing three more (doh!).  Two of them, I picked up at the end of the day (Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Mary and the Witch's Flower).  I seem to recall that the Mary poster I think I may have picked up at the end of the convention as it didn't seem that popular.  The third poster was the Coraline which I picked up form the Laika event (which was a nice surprise and really convenient).

I do agree that their line system should be overhauled. I'm actually surprised that they were not a part of the initial lottery for exclusives last year.  I know they like to surprise everyone with what they are bringing, but being a part of the lottery would probably spoil that.

They should just do the lottery but have maybe like it be good for all 4 days? I dunno.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2019, 10:03:02 AM »
I think too many variables are at play for Mondo to be included in the lottery. They bring A LOT of posters, so it is unlikely they can have a lottery for each one - and if they raffle full days, if people who won the lottery don't pickup or change their mind they'll have to have "open entry" like Hasbro has been doing and the line will be 200x worse once it opens to those without lottery pickups. Mondo has also conditioned their fans with "camping=success". After years of people camping, to flip on a lottery for everything has a chance to anger their base.

I think an "everything else" and "print" is a great idea, they were trying to do that a bit last year but it was still messy. I also think the ticket handout was a good idea too. My wish is still for scheduled morning drops for the sought after stuff, with badge checking to make sure vendors aren't gaming the system.

Offline LibertyRoxx

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 131
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2019, 09:43:25 AM »
I have no problem waiting in lines if it means I can actually get something. Can't stand that everything went to lotteries.
SDCC- 2011-2019, 2022; DCC- 2014, 2017, 2022; SWC- 1999, 2017, 2022; Dragon Con- 2014; Gallifrey One- 2015, 2018-2019, 2022-2023; NYCC- 2010-2019, 2021-2022; ECCC- 2018-2019, 2021-2022