Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion  (Read 74465 times)

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
Re: SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2020, 02:03:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well bought my hotel room, went to lunch came back and it's Sold Out, very glad I didn't hesitate this year. :)

what hotel?

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2020, 02:13:15 PM »
Wow!!!

Is it normal for an early bird to go that soon?

I don't recall any early bird ever selling out so soon, but I never really pay close attention as it's not what I want. From a quick peek, looks like the Courtyard Mission Valley is booked up.

Like most years, I'm not going to sweat Hotelpocalypse. Even after the initial sale, there are always good, nearby downtown hotels available if you're vigilant and persistent. With last year being the 50th anniversary, I don't think it'll be much tougher than that to snag something decent.

My only slight worry is regarding when the email with the link is sent and how soon it gets to my inbox. Last year, someone posted the link 15 minutes before it showed up in my inbox. I can't be on twitter 24/7 like some other folks.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #182 on: Today at 04:40:10 PM »

Offline Hades

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2020, 02:35:50 PM »
Wow. I do not recall them ever selling out so fast either. Maybe it is down to more people not wanting to deal with the lottery and just being secure? I am almost certain that there were still rooms on the Early Bird up to the days they closed it last year. I could be wrong though.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2020, 03:05:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login It's like all you had to do ask the Universe yesterday and bam! Early Bird hotels are up today! 😀

Can you ask the universe if everyone on FoCC can get their top choice for the hotel sale next You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login?

Offline OMBGREGREY

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2020, 03:33:18 PM »
Did the courtyard mission valley hotel offer complementary parking in past years?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Offline chachime45

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2020, 04:21:35 PM »
I've been downtown the last couple of years ... decided to go early bird this year for a cheaper rate and less headache. Went with Doubletree at Hazard Center because I've stayed there before, it's a nice no-frills hotel and it's just a few steps from a trolley stop.

Last year in the lottery I got in instantly and still was shut out for the first week. On the second email I got Marriott Gaslamp, but I just don't feel like dealing with that crap this year. I don't mind a 20-minute trolley ride.

Offline aodmisery

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #186 on: January 21, 2020, 05:52:45 PM »
Haven't been to comic Con in like 6 years is it normal for them to announce early bird hotels without any kind of warning. I saw the the email at 11 and thought "oh it's just a announcement to get ready for early bird sales." A few hours later I finally got around to actually reading the email. And it was the actual sale. I hope they don't do this with the downtown hotels.

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
« Reply #187 on: January 21, 2020, 05:58:20 PM »
being going 5 years now and from what I recall early bird has been anounced the same, hotelpocalypse is diferent they will let you know a few days before

Offline SyndE

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #188 on: January 21, 2020, 06:10:17 PM »
Well, all booked at the Doubletree by Hilton Mission Valley. It's the one I stayed at back in 2008! After three years downtown (13, 14, 15) and those two major concerts on Friday and Saturday, I'm ready for some distance.

Didn't mean that I still didn't feel queasy accepting the "non-refundable for ANY reason" and paying that chunk of change for 4 nights.  :-[

Got my flight booked too. Finally used the AA miles I've been stockpiling for .... twenty years. (Seriously.)

Offline pegleg1204

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2020, 05:54:34 AM »
I just checked last year's emails, early bird started 1/9/19 and hotelpocalypse was on 4/11/19.   I'm already getting nervous.   I need a downtown hotel because of having to use a scooter so I can't book an early bird hotel and the last two years my three family members got nothing.   Luckily, a friend ended up with two so she gave us one of hers.   I'm already trying to plan out how I'm going set up for hotelpocalypse; will I use the computer lab at my school (if it's available) or have multiple computers on at home; maybe I'll use the lab for me and my daughters can try from home.   I really think it's a luck thing so hopefully this year, I'll have better luck.

Offline NuncleJoel

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2020, 06:54:01 AM »
I just checked last year's emails, early bird started 1/9/19 and hotelpocalypse was on 4/11/19.   I'm already getting nervous.   I need a downtown hotel because of having to use a scooter so I can't book an early bird hotel and the last two years my three family members got nothing.   Luckily, a friend ended up with two so she gave us one of hers.   I'm already trying to plan out how I'm going set up for hotelpocalypse; will I use the computer lab at my school (if it's available) or have multiple computers on at home; maybe I'll use the lab for me and my daughters can try from home.   I really think it's a luck thing so hopefully this year, I'll have better luck.

I was hoping it was closer.  Three months is a long stressful wait.  This is my least favorite SDCC task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline twiley79

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2020, 08:10:45 AM »
Did they send out an email about the Early Bird Sale? I didn't see any and yes, I checked the spam folder.

Online sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2020, 08:19:14 AM »
Did they send out an email about the Early Bird Sale? I didn't see any and yes, I checked the spam folder.

As far as I know, they did.  I got one.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline twiley79

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2020, 08:23:06 AM »
Do you think I should ask about it officially? I did check my account and I am an opt in for email. I'm waiting for the main sale, but this makes me nervous.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2020, 09:31:50 AM »
Do you think I should ask about it officially? I did check my account and I am an opt in for email. I'm waiting for the main sale, but this makes me nervous.

Sure...feel free to contact them, just to make sure.  They are usually pretty prompt and friendly..and helpful!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia