Author Topic: SXSW Mar 13 - 22 2020  (Read 1405 times)

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
SXSW Mar 13 - 22 2020
« on: January 16, 2020, 12:45:51 PM »
Any SXSW veterans out there willing to take me under their wings.  I can't afford badges ($1450!!!!) but I just signed up for volunteering.  I moved here to San Antonio last year so I'm only an hour away and would love to go up and check things out.  Thinking of just driving up a few days so not worried about hotel and I'm not a huge band person.  I'm mostly looking at movie, comedy, and activations but I'm clueless on the whole thing and don't have any local friends that have gone.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
Re: SXSW Mar 13 - 22 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 02:11:17 PM »
I have been a few times, only once with a badge.
Last year went with a badge and it was amazing.
I bought my badge on the secondary market and it was a fraction of that platinum badge price.
- Tip 1 - If you are an hour away from down town austin now....you will be 2-3 hours away during SXSW.  Traffic is worse this week than any other time of year due to the various lane closures.  I know the year obama came in and spoke it was even worse....don't see the current president attenting.
- Tip 2 - Comedy shows are going to be your best bet to get into with no badge.  Just show up early and get in the stand by line (usually an hour before shows you are likely to be the front of the line.)
- Tip 3-  Twitter is your friend even if you don't have badges.  For instances uber eats was a good follow last year as there was free food all the time, no badge needed just go to the right places.
- Tip 4 - If you are into gaming the gaming convention is free (at least it was in previous years).  Go in and check out the hall even if you aren't a fan.
- Tip 5 - Movies - With no badge you aren't going to make it into the big premiers....but random c-tier movies you may have a shot at.  Be sure to just ask workers or look for stand by lines when you arrive to get in the right spot.  If you want to see the big movies, look and see if / when replays are.  The replays won't typically have directors/cast but still a chance to see great movies.  They add replays as the week goes on depending on which movies have the demand for it.
- Tip 6 - If you like meeting casts the premiers at the Paramount you will have a good shot at it if you show up like an hour before showtime.  They have red carpets and since the crowds are smallish most of the time they will come over and say hi, take selfies, sign autographs.  Met the cast of Stuber last year and they were all super nice.
- Tip 7 - Activation - depending on how off site they are...many don't care about badges at all.  If they aren't too far out of our way try to see if you can get in....worst case there is 50 other things going on at the same time and you walk a block away to something else.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:07:25 PM »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 08:17:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

COVID-19 Attendee Information

Updated March 2, 2020. Regarding the current Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak: SXSW is working closely on a daily basis with local, state, and federal agencies to plan for a safe event. As a result of this dialogue and the recommendations of Austin Public Health, we are proceeding with the 2020 event with the health and safety of our attendees, staff, and volunteers as our top priority.

On February 28, Austin Public Health updated their FAQ about COVID-19 and SXSW with the following language:

“Q: Does the COVID-19 situation change plans for SXSW and other large festivals/events?

A: APH will continue to communicate with the CDC and health departments nationwide as many cities host large events. At this time, no health departments in the state have requested the cancellation of any gatherings as the current risk of person-to-person spread in their jurisdictions remains low. Historically, March is not a peak international travel month in Austin, but we will continue to monitor. Information and practices are changing during this rapidly evolving situation and we will continue to follow national guidelines. This being said, there are no imminent plans to postpone any current events. For more information about monitoring and operations click here.

The health of the Austin community and those who visit our City is our highest priority. APH coordinates with South by Southwest (SXSW) annually to monitor and prepare for any public health emergencies during the festival – this year is no different. While in flu season, APH is working with SXSW to disseminate disease prevention messaging to help keep attendees and the entire Austin community safe. APH routinely monitors nearly 80 communicable diseases, which will continue throughout the year as travelers visit Austin every day for various international events. APH is also working with the Texas Department of State Health Services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to monitor and prepare for any local cases of COVID-19.”

There is a lot about COVID-19 that is still unknown, but what we do know is that personal hygiene is of critical importance. We hope that people follow the science, implement the recommendations of public health agencies, and continue to participate in the activities that make our world connected.

Prevention tips from Austin Public Health include:

Washing your hands for 20 seconds and using alcohol based hand sanitizer
    When coughing and sneezing, cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue – discard tissue immediately into
    a closed bin
    Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
    Do not attend the event if you are feeling ill. If you are experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19, call
    Austin Public Health at 3-1-1. If it is a medical emergency, call 9-1-1

SXSW FAQ

1. Businesses Continue to Operate, and So Does SXSW

We are following the recommendations of scientific and health agencies when making determinations regarding operations and precautions around the 2020 event. Safety is a top priority, and we continue to work with them on a daily basis. Restaurants, bars, clubs, theatres, stadiums, and other businesses that people patronize are still open and people continue to attend. Travelers from the U.S. and around the world continue to visit Austin daily.

At the World Health Organization press conference, Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus stated, “Our greatest enemy right now is not the virus itself. It’s fear, rumours and stigma. And our greatest assets are facts, reason and solidarity.”

2. What are the Current Preparedness Plans?

We are in constant contact with the local public health authority, Austin Public Health, and preparedness plans are ongoing.

Safety is a top priority for SXSW. Currently, we are taking the following actions on-site: provision of disinfectant wipes and spray, hand sanitizer for common area spaces and activity spaces, microphone wipe downs, inclusion of Austin Public Health Disease Prevention literature, outreach to all meeting spaces, venues, and hotels.

3. How Will Preparedness Plans Impact SXSW Participants?

SXSW and Austin Public Health encourage the implementation of personal hygiene practices, including washing your hands for 20 seconds and using alcohol based hand sanitizer, when coughing and sneezing, cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue – discard tissue immediately into a closed bin; avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands; and stay home or in your hotel if you have a fever to help maintain the health of all event participants.

4. How Many Cancellations Have Occurred?

At this time, we have a small number of cancellations from participants. This includes attendees who were traveling from heavily affected areas, registrants whose companies have instituted travel bans, and those who have opted out due to personal preference.

5. What is Happening with Corporate Travel Bans?

We understand that some companies have instituted general corporate travel bans for staff. To our knowledge, only a handful have affected our event programming at this time, and we will update our schedule accordingly.

6. Attendee Demographics

Historically, March is not a peak international travel month in Austin. Per Austin-Bergstrom International Airport’s calendar year 2019 data, approximately 1 in 11 passengers arriving or departing AUS either originated from or are terminating at a non-US airport. This includes passengers who are on connecting flights as well as those on nonstop flights.

SXSW’s Conference Attendee numbers from our 2019 demographics report state that we had 73,716 SXSW Conference Attendees, 19,166 of whom were from outside of the US. We are on par with those numbers for 2020.

This year, the top ten countries with registrants traveling to SXSW are:

Brazil
    United Kingdom
    Germany
    Canada
    Japan
    Australia
    Norway
    Netherlands
    Sweden
    Denmark

7. Has SXSW Seen the Change.org Petition?

We are aware of this petition. SXSW is working closely on a daily basis with local, state, and federal agencies to plan for a safe event. As a result of this dialogue and the recommendations of Austin Public Health, the 2020 event is proceeding with safety as a top priority.

8. Where Can We Find Updates?

We are regularly updating our COVID-19 Response page with new information. Please check back regularly.

This page may be updated. Please check back regularly – contents are subject to change.

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 02:01:27 PM »
It seems SXSW has been cancelled

Ang

Online marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 02:29:44 PM »
It seems SXSW has been cancelled

Dominoes falling... :(
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 04:43:51 AM »
Someone set this up for professionals who were going to make money at this event:

Also a cookie company is having a sale on their cookies they made for SXSW:

Offline Godolphin

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 191
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 12:01:43 PM »
I have zero trust in SXSW they refused to refund or defer badges after nearly every major company pulled out. The film and tv premieres were mostly cancelled. But SXSW was still planning to go on with the convention.
Then the city of Austin forced them to cancel.
SXSW as of today refuses to offer refunds but will defer badges now. But what use is a deferred badge if there are no more SXSW. Some hotels and airlines also not refunding.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 12:48:43 PM »
I think it's a bad move for them not to refund.  They are taking a bad situation and making it existential.  How many people that will get burned by this will pay for SXSW in the future?  I've never been to SXSW but I would think twice about it now knowing SXSW won't do the right thing in a situation like this.  I would think they have insurance in case the event is canceled beyond their control.  Like this.

Offline Godolphin

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 191
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 01:16:28 PM »
Apparently their insurance does not cover this unusual situation.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 01:29:31 PM »
Apparently their insurance does not cover this unusual situation.

That article pointed out that "many major promoters do take out" insurance to cover this situation.  SXSW didn't.

That article also quotes one of the founders saying “It’s really unfortunate to be canceling South by Southwest. It’s tied to who we are in this city, and I look forward to the next iteration of South by Southwest when it comes,”

The next iteration?  Doesn't that sound like the current iteration is done?