Author Topic: Ghostbusters Afterlife  (Read 1678 times)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
Ghostbusters Afterlife
« on: January 23, 2020, 07:47:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
Re: Ghostbusters Afterlife
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 07:33:04 AM »

The notion of the ‘legacy sequel’ has been a major Hollywood force in recent years – follow-ups to classic movies that introduce a new generation of younger characters, while checking in on the iconic heroes of the original film(s) at a later stage in life. Take The Force Awakens, or 2018's Halloween, or Terminator: Dark Fate. But the upcoming Ghostbusters: Afterlife is a legacy sequel in more ways that one – firstly, in that it’s set in the same universe of the original two films, with members of the classic cast (including Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson) returning. And secondly, in that it sees director Jason Reitman pick up the directorial reins from his father, Ivan Reitman, the legendary filmmaker behind both of the previous films.

This time, the action moves out of New York and into rural Oklahoma, with fresh young leads in Mckenna Grace and Stranger Things’ Finn Wolfhard, playing a pair of kids who stumble upon the original ‘busters tech. Afterlife is set to arrive this summer, over thirty years since Ghostbusters II hit the big screen – and for Jason Reitman, there was one person above all who he wanted to impress. In early December, he was finally able to screen the film for him. “My father hasn’t been leaving the house much because of Covid,” he tells Empire in his first interview about the movie, published in the upcoming new issue – available to pre-order here. “But he took a test, put on a mask and drove down to the Sony lot to watch the movie with the studio. And after, he cried, and he said, ‘I’m so proud to be your father.’ And it was one of the great moments of my life.”

While Ivan Reitman’s original Ghostbusters flicks are mostly remembered for their dry, sly (and surprisingly adult) sense of humour – delivered by its cast of gifted comedians – in picking up the baton from the first two films, Jason Reitman says he looked to make Afterlife as scary as the old films felt too. “The feeling that I’ve kind of held onto is that while it is very funny, it really scared me. It was really my first experience with a horror film,” he explains. “I was at a Directors Guild meeting and I happened to be sitting next to Steven Spielberg – when I told him I was working on Ghostbusters, he out of nowhere said, ‘Library Ghost – top ten scares of all time.’ And it’s true.”

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:49:51 PM »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 01:52:11 PM »
I am looking forward to this film even more now! :)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 10:21:13 AM »
Ok not *that* looks freakin' cool. I'm in!
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 08:11:02 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 08:23:12 AM »
I dig that is seems all the stuff we've seen of this movie so far straddles the line between 'horror' and comedy.  The thing that makes the first film so special, IMO, is how well it executed those two tones (obviously, "horror" for a PG movie).  While I dug the 2016 GHOSTBUSTERS movie, it felt way more comedy than try to be scary and IMO that's one reason why it felt a little flat for me; this feels a bit more tonally close to the original film.
(FWIW I think GHOSTBUSTER 2 was kind of a tonal mess and it feels clear that Bill Murray seemed to mostly regret the film was being made while shooting it; I feel like that movie is neither scary nor fun, though it does have its moments).

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 08:04:43 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 04:48:31 PM »

OK, I kinda rescind what I said above: this trailer feels significantly off of the tone of the original.  Like, this feels more on par with, maybe "ET but with ghosts."  Like, the original Ghostbusters (characters) were looked at as a cross between hucksters & exterminators; finding a ghost trap shouldn't feel like finding some holy relic, but more like a rat trap or something.  I know trailers are nothing more than merely marketing tools designed to hit all 'four quadrants' of movie audience to get EVERYONE excited to spend money on a film.  It's entirely plausible that this is being marketed towards yet another "play up the nostalgia!!!!!!!!!!!111!!" type thing for the ever-loud Gen X folks who can't get enough of reminders of their childhood.  It feels like it's tapping into the "Stranger Things" zeitgeist a few years too late tonally.

IDK.  It looks great visually/technically, and Jason Reitman is an aces director in my book, so I may be (hope to be) entirely wrong here.  But I'm reminded of JURASSIC PARK when they're taking the tour for the first time before it rains/the power goes out and Malcom says to the camera "you will actually have DINOSAURS on your dinosaur tour...right?!"  The original 3 films, problematic as any of them may be, were all comedies with the element of horror to them.  This feels more like a fanboy (note: directed by the son of the original director) who loves the original but doesn't tonally get WHY he loves the original.

We'll see.  But I'm more bummed with this trailer than the original teaser & I'm sincerely hoping this is actually more of a comedy than it looks so far

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 03:55:34 PM »
Just bought our tickets to see this on November 20!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 07:32:05 PM »
me and my movie buddy have tix for Sunday
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 08:15:32 AM »
Kinda oddly my seven year old is really excited for this movie.  He's seen all the GHOSTBUSTERS movies, but it's not like we play them all the time, or have tons of toys or posters hanging up (like Marvel or SW stuff in our place).  Maybe he's hyped because the trailers center around the kids.

Anyway; apparently GHOSTBUSTERS AFTERLIFE is a movie I'm going to see with my 2nd grader...

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 09:17:36 AM »
OK, I kinda rescind what I said above: this trailer feels significantly off of the tone of the original.  Like, this feels more on par with, maybe "ET but with ghosts."  Like, the original Ghostbusters (characters) were looked at as a cross between hucksters & exterminators; finding a ghost trap shouldn't feel like finding some holy relic, but more like a rat trap or something.  I know trailers are nothing more than merely marketing tools designed to hit all 'four quadrants' of movie audience to get EVERYONE excited to spend money on a film.  It's entirely plausible that this is being marketed towards yet another "play up the nostalgia!!!!!!!!!!!111!!" type thing for the ever-loud Gen X folks who can't get enough of reminders of their childhood.  It feels like it's tapping into the "Stranger Things" zeitgeist a few years too late tonally.

IDK.  It looks great visually/technically, and Jason Reitman is an aces director in my book, so I may be (hope to be) entirely wrong here.  But I'm reminded of JURASSIC PARK when they're taking the tour for the first time before it rains/the power goes out and Malcom says to the camera "you will actually have DINOSAURS on your dinosaur tour...right?!"  The original 3 films, problematic as any of them may be, were all comedies with the element of horror to them.  This feels more like a fanboy (note: directed by the son of the original director) who loves the original but doesn't tonally get WHY he loves the original.

We'll see.  But I'm more bummed with this trailer than the original teaser & I'm sincerely hoping this is actually more of a comedy than it looks so far
Saw this last night at a critic's screening, and I'll mostly just say that I hate it when my initial negative instincts turn out to be right.  This film is of the genre of  "Hey, I recognize that thing from that other thing!" cinema: one I'm not really a fan of, though I suspect a lot of people will like this.  On a positive note,  Mckenna Grace is legit awesome, and I look forward to seeing her again: a lot!  I do think my 7 year old will like this, so I suspect sometime during Thanksgiving break next week I'll likely end up seeing this again with him.  This movie isn't for me, but if you _really_ like nostalgia, and don't mind a lot of lack-of-substance or originality, or you don't wonder why the other GHOSTBUSTER films hinted at a HUGE world of ghosts and afterlife yet Gozer and (oddly) Stay Puft are seemingly big focus points: chances are you'll be fine with this.  I don't mean that to sound as dismissive as it might come across; I just know that I'm not a fan of the current "nostalgia rules ALL" mantra of Hollywood while others don't seem to mind it.  This movie is necessarily 'bad,' per say: it's really frustrating because the talent involved could've made a really interesting movie while still keeping some of the themes.

Oh well; enjoy this, uber Ghostbuster fans out there!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 10:59:47 AM »
Saw this last night at a critic's screening, and I'll mostly just say that I hate it when my initial negative instincts turn out to be right.  This film is of the genre of  "Hey, I recognize that thing from that other thing!" cinema: one I'm not really a fan of, though I suspect a lot of people will like this.  On a positive note,  Mckenna Grace is legit awesome, and I look forward to seeing her again: a lot!  I do think my 7 year old will like this, so I suspect sometime during Thanksgiving break next week I'll likely end up seeing this again with him.  This movie isn't for me, but if you _really_ like nostalgia, and don't mind a lot of lack-of-substance or originality, or you don't wonder why the other GHOSTBUSTER films hinted at a HUGE world of ghosts and afterlife yet Gozer and (oddly) Stay Puft are seemingly big focus points: chances are you'll be fine with this.  I don't mean that to sound as dismissive as it might come across; I just know that I'm not a fan of the current "nostalgia rules ALL" mantra of Hollywood while others don't seem to mind it.  This movie is necessarily 'bad,' per say: it's really frustrating because the talent involved could've made a really interesting movie while still keeping some of the themes.

Oh well; enjoy this, uber Ghostbuster fans out there!
Saw this again with my two kids: oldest almost 20, youngest 7.  They both _really_ liked GHOSTBUSTER AFTERLIFE.  I don't want to write a ton about this since it wasn't exactly my bag, but I would say I'd give this a 'thumbs up' and something like a 2.5 star rating.  In Roger Ebert parlance, 3-4 stars was a thumbs up, 2-0 stars was a thumbs down, and 2.5 could go either way.  I'd say GHOSTBUSTERS AFTERLIFE lives in that FORCE AWAKENS/RISE OF SKYWALKER realm of "this has _a lot_ of problems IMO, but also has quite a bit going for it."  I think if I were to write out my thoughts, it would likely color my impressions as negative because this is a film that absolutely could have been REALLY good had it not jumped into "nostalgia at all costs" land for Act 3.  Those are often the movies that bug me the most: the ones that are really close to being flat-out great, but also really dropped the ball.  Like, I can live with flat-out bad movies, or even movies/TV that took an epic swing but missed the mark (like PROMETHEUS, that had a lot of interesting things to say but dropped the ball trying to decide if it's an ALIEN prequel or an original Sci-Fi, and likely had a ton of studio interference that muddied the waters).  I think the latest GHOSTBUSTERS if "fine," and I suspect a lot of folks, both fans of the original and newbies, will have a fun time at the theater.

NOTE: this film is absolutely NOT a comedy, despite the fact that Paul Rudd acts as if he believes it is  :P.  This is more of a SUPER 8 esque movie that revolves around some kids: like an 80's Amblin film that's part family drama, part kids-in-action, and a small dash of some humor (note: Mckenna Grace tells some great dad jokes/puns that I 100% appreciated).