Author Topic: Horton Plaza Macy's Closing  (Read 1151 times)

Offline darlenealderson

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
Horton Plaza Macy's Closing
« on: February 05, 2020, 04:37:32 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so please move if it's not.

I read that Macy's is closing over 250 stores in the next few years and the San Diego Horton Plaza location will be one of the first. I wonder what will happen to that place.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kmy

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
Re: Horton Plaza Macy's Closing
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 06:04:59 PM »
It's been a couple of years since I was at Horton Plaza but was it still as busy as it used to be? For some reason I was thinking it was kind of dying out.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:57:50 PM »

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 10:13:54 PM »
It's been a couple of years since I was at Horton Plaza but was it still as busy as it used to be? For some reason I was thinking it was kind of dying out.

its been a dead mall for a long time.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 07:28:49 AM »
FYE was about the only thing open there last year.
Really surprised more stores don't do pop ups in there.
Would be pretty cool to have a mall full of pop ups.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 09:37:45 AM »
Horton Plaza is on the verge of becoming condos/apartments IIRC.  No surprise Macy's is closing; to be honest, I'm surprised to learn that it's still open!
I loved Horton Plaza.  On a personal level it's where I met Cleveland Indians GOAT, Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Feller: odd, considering I'm originally from the Cleveland area, spent the first 22 years of my life in Central OH, but ended up meeting one of my all-time favorite baseball players in San Diego!  He was doing signings in a sports memorabilia place in Horton Plaza, and my wife and I were there with our son (then a toddler, now an 18 year old) and virtually no one else.  I got to chat quite a bit about old-time Cleveland baseball and some of their great players that were teammates of Feller (Feller was the Ace pitcher on Cleveland last World Series Champion team in 1948; and Feller was teammates with fellow pitcher Larry Doby, the first black player in the American League who followed Jackie Robinson less than three months after Jackie made his debut). 

But the gluttony of shopping malls from the 1990's-2010ish is over

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 11:20:02 AM »
I didn't realize anything was still open there, other than Jimbo's. Even the theaters are gone.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 05:00:26 PM »
So what happened to Horton Plaza? What was it’s downfall? Location? Other malls taking their business? Crappy stores? I remember the first time I stayed at the Westin there back in SDCC ‘09 or so, and it was a really busy place.

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 01:32:05 AM »
So what happened to Horton Plaza? What was it’s downfall? Location? Other malls taking their business? Crappy stores? I remember the first time I stayed at the Westin there back in SDCC ‘09 or so, and it was a really busy place.

No one wants to pay for parking for a mall where you can get the same or better stores at fashion valley 10 min away with free parking and less hassle driving

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 09:29:09 AM »
No one wants to pay for parking for a mall where you can get the same or better stores at fashion valley 10 min away with free parking and less hassle driving
agreed, i've heard the same from multiple locals. the downfall started when folks had to pay for parking.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 09:32:22 AM »

This makes absolute sense. I was questioning too why such a busy area with tons of foot traffic, tourists, and residents didn't come here more often. It also depends on the stores that the mall contains. I live in Los Angeles and there's a mall called the Beverly Center right in the busy part of Beverly Hills, yet its dead and hardly full.
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson