Author Topic: Could CCI cancel SDCC 2020 due to the Coronavirus?  (Read 63594 times)

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
Re: Could CCI cancel SDCC 2020 due to the Coronavirus?
« Reply #495 on: March 31, 2020, 12:50:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The article isn't taking into account that there may already be other events scheduled for the San Diego Convention Center during the fall time periods they are discussing.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #496 on: March 31, 2020, 12:51:10 PM »
Lol, I was just searching for "Green Day cancellations".
i could use that ticket money ;)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #497 on: Today at 07:00:34 PM »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #497 on: March 31, 2020, 02:50:42 PM »

I could probably recommend a few bands that won't get more than 10 people at their shows.  Warning recommendation is based on the fact no one wants to go see them  :o
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #498 on: March 31, 2020, 03:06:10 PM »
You will get the government check in about 6 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #499 on: March 31, 2020, 03:15:44 PM »
You will get the government check in about 6 weeks.

Or 4 months.  Direct Deposit should happen right away.  Only 20 million physical checks can be printed a month.  So if you are in the last batch, don't expect your check for 4 months.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #500 on: April 01, 2020, 10:02:03 AM »

Joining efforts to prevent the spread of #COVID19 in our region, we are opening our doors this week as a temporary shelter for individuals experiencing homelessness during the #COVID19 pandemic.

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
« Reply #501 on: April 01, 2020, 11:35:51 AM »
So, another big sports event canceled (wimbledon), that one was supposed to begin on june 29 for a two week period...

Online marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #502 on: April 01, 2020, 12:15:21 PM »
Arrgh!

April is here, with no Wondercon near.
No hotelpocalypse on the horizon.
May and June soon will loom
only cancellations still zoom,
my schedule sits pale and wan.
I can only think, as my hopes circle the sink
2020 shall pass sans my superfun Comic Con!

Marcia 29
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Online sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #503 on: April 01, 2020, 12:18:20 PM »
I don't think there will be any big cons until there is a vaccine.  One that is widely available.  In my mind the question is not whether there will be a comic-con in 2020, I don't see how there can be.  The question is will there be a comic-con in 2021.

There is a certain nationwide event taking place the first Tuesday in November that makes me think that there will be huge push to make everything seem close to normal by October ...

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #504 on: April 01, 2020, 12:24:25 PM »
There is a certain nationwide event taking place the first Tuesday in November that makes me think that there will be huge push to make everything seem close to normal by October ...

I think the best way to go is to make everyone a mandatory mail voter.

Online sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #505 on: April 01, 2020, 12:39:59 PM »
1). That doesn't change my thinking that they'll want everything back to normal by October.  The state of the economy frequently plays into elections.  If we're still shutdown with millions unemployed leading up to the election, that could adversely factor into how people vote.  But if people are back to being employed and the stock market is climbing again -- yay status quo!

2). Mandatory mail in voting would not happen.  The election would get called off before that happens.  There have been ... suggestions ... that making it easier for people to vote favors one party over another.  I'll let you guess which way.

Note:  I'm not stating an opinion on the best course of action.  This is just my thinking based on the cynicism that comes from having lived right outside of DC my whole life.

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #506 on: April 01, 2020, 12:49:58 PM »
1). That doesn't change my thinking that they'll want everything back to normal by October.  The state of the economy frequently plays into elections.  If we're still shutdown with millions unemployed leading up to the election, that could adversely factor into how people vote.  But if people are back to being employed and the stock market is climbing again -- yay status quo!

2). Mandatory mail in voting would not happen.  The election would get called off before that happens.  There have been ... suggestions ... that making it easier for people to vote favors one party over another.  I'll let you guess which way.

Note:  I'm not stating an opinion on the best course of action.  This is just my thinking based on the cynicism that comes from having lived right outside of DC my whole life.

There are no provisions in U.S. law for postponing a presidential election, it would have to be changed by a vote of congress and signed by the president - they even held it in 1864 during the civil war.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:55:56 PM by RSilvaConFan »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #507 on: April 01, 2020, 12:56:02 PM »
2). Mandatory mail in voting would not happen.  The election would get called off before that happens.

No, the election will not be called off or even postponed.  There is no way to call off the election.  It would have to be a new law enacted by congress.  What are the chances of that happening?  Even if by some miracle congress did, voting is controlled by the states.  All 50 states would have to agree to it.  There's even less chance of that happening than congress passing a law to begin with.

Mail voting is available to all Americans.  The existing laws and infrastructure are already there.  Making everyone a mandatory mail in voter would be a relatively simple thing to do.  I am already a mandatory mail voter.  Many people are.  If I want to vote in person, that's a hassle.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #508 on: April 01, 2020, 01:18:56 PM »
No, the election will not be called off or even postponed.  There is no way to call off the election.  It would have to be a new law enacted by congress.  What are the chances of that happening?  Even if by some miracle congress did, voting is controlled by the states.  All 50 states would have to agree to it.  There's even less chance of that happening than congress passing a law to begin with.

Mail voting is available to all Americans.  The existing laws and infrastructure are already there.  Making everyone a mandatory mail in voter would be a relatively simple thing to do.  I am already a mandatory mail voter.  Many people are.  If I want to vote in person, that's a hassle.

I hate be be 'that' person but there's a lot of countries which have thought the election couldn't be called off. Knowing history is a pain in the a$$ //eyesLow

....it has been argued that the President can take it upon himself to declare martial law. In these times, Congress may decide not to act, effectively accepting martial law by failing to stop it; Congress may agree to the declaration, putting the official stamp of approval on the declaration; or it can reject the President's imposition of martial law, which could set up a power struggle between the Congress and the Executive that only the Judiciary would be able to resolve. ....

i don't think this will happen but we're in uncharted territory here. imho, one of the great things about our form of government is that we've figured out a way to transfer power without bloodshed.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #509 on: April 01, 2020, 01:20:45 PM »
CCI just tweeted:

To our amazing Comic-Con and WonderCon fans: We understand how difficult the current climate has been for all of us and appreciate your continued support through these trying times. No one is as hopeful as we are that we will be able to celebrate #SDCC2020 together come July.

As we continue to monitor the situation with local authorities, we will post updates on our social channels! Until then, remember: “A hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” — Christopher Reeve
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 01:23:31 PM by Devorah »