Author Topic: Best Movie/Film Fight Scenes  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
Best Movie/Film Fight Scenes
« on: February 23, 2020, 07:11:09 PM »
So, watching again for what seems like the 10th time DC Animated's The Dark Knight Returns, and watching the fight scene in the mudhole between the Batman and the mutant gang leader.  Not only was it true to the material (I think this film is probably the only one that's closest to its source material) but the way they orchestrated it, the background, the animation, it was like it was choreographed.  So that got me thinking...

What other great fight scenes do folks think are out there?  I already have another one but since I OP'd this, I'll let others chime in.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Best Movie/Film Fight Scenes
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 08:44:42 PM »
If we're talking hand-to-hand the first thing that popped into my mind is the hallway fight scene in the original OLDBOY: one continuous long take of the main character fighting off a dozen or so guys with nothing but a hammer.  Some other movies & series have been influenced by it, one of the more obvious being a scene in an early/mid-1st season episode of "Daredevil."
Some other ones that come to mind:

* THEY LIVE street fight
* CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLIDER elevator fight
* RAID 2 kitchen fight
* JOHN WICK house fight
     ** really, pick any random fight scene from any WICK film or either RAID or RAID 2 **
* most Jackie Chan films (the ladder scene from FIRST STRIKE or some of the DRUNKEN MASTER stuff are some of my favorites)
* SNOWPIERCER 'tunnel' fight
* ANCHORMAN had a pretty get parody of an epic movie fight that was in and of itself a great movie fight
* INDIANA JONES: the truck scene in RAIDERS is one of my all-time favorite action set pieces ever filmed; the scene in LAST CRUSADE when he's fighting all of the Nazis on the tank is pretty awesome/inventive as well
* KILL BILL vol 1: 'House of Blue Leaves' fight of The Bride v Crazy 88's
* ENTER THE DRAGON because Bruce Lee
* CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON Jen Steals the Green Destiny

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:39:45 PM »

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 05:52:07 AM »
The Matrix
Lobby scene-  “Guns, lots of guns”, “Dodge this”.  First bullet time scene w/ Neo

Hand to hand fight scene in the subway with Neo and Mr Smith toward the end of the movie. 

Plus the one hand behind his back fight sequence during “He’s The One” final fight with Mr. Smith.

Sent from my ???? using

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 07:11:59 AM »
ATOMIC BLONDE - Stairwell fight

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 11:11:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Matrix
Lobby scene-  “Guns, lots of guns”, “Dodge this”.  First bullet time scene w/ Neo

Hand to hand fight scene in the subway with Neo and Mr Smith toward the end of the movie. 

Plus the one hand behind his back fight sequence during “He’s The One” final fight with Mr. Smith.

Sent from my ???? using

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - You posted exactly what I was going to post, sooooo....DITTO!  :D
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 04:24:51 PM »
The Matrix

Sent from my ???? using
The slow-mo scene where one of them throws a punch, misses, and takes a chunk off of the corner of a wall always makes me cheer.  And the shot where Smith & Neo square off, and a news paper blows across the scene, reminiscent of tumble weed in an old wester? Damned brilliant homage!!

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 09:09:16 AM »
While You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login captured most of my favorites I can add a few.  Also agree almost any Jackie Chan scenes could make the list.

Jason Bourne bathroom fight
Old Boy Hallway fight
Sorry but I loved the Haka fight in Hobbs and Shaw
Transporter - When Staham was sliding around fighting a ton of guys

Ok now I am going to date myself and I know they don't hold up as well but from my childhood the ones that stick out the most in my mind are:
Steven Seagal when he started bending arms backwards
John Claude fight at the end of Bloodsport
Fight at the end of Roadhouse when Swayze ripped his throat out.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 11:22:05 AM »

Ok now I am going to date myself and I know they don't hold up as well but from my childhood the ones that stick out the most in my mind are:
Steven Seagal when he started bending arms backwards
John Claude fight at the end of Bloodsport
Fight at the end of Roadhouse when Swayze ripped his throat out.
YES!  Seagal is a literal joke nowadays (for the last couple decades), but his stuff in the 80's is awesome!  One of his movies he has a fight in a pool hall or something, where he takes the cue ball and wraps it in a towel and goes to town on guys and it's such a great scene!  In the 80's he was such a fun fighter to watch, since his style (aikido, a 'soft style' martial art that center on utilizing the energy of an attacker against them) feeling so unique to the Bruce Lee's and Chuck Norrises of the world!  My dad used to teach shooting at the OH police academy, and co-taught/assisted self defense & the self defense head instructor was an aikido guy & my dad knew some of those moves (or at least he did in his mind  :P ) and we had those Seagal movies on VHS often in our household when he was prepping for instruction sessions!  His acting is laughably bad, but his martial arts was awesome (and I won't get into his newish career of guitar playing which makes his acting look like Oscar-winning level)

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 07:19:20 AM »
All 90 minutes of The Raid.

Hollywood has been trying to catch up with that film for years and it is still nowhere near to it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 08:41:22 AM »
All 90 minutes of The Raid.

Hollywood has been trying to catch up with that film for years and it is still nowhere near to it.

Seriously!  And if you haven't seen the sequel, it was almost like people raved about THE RAID being un-beatable for amazing action and director Gareth Evans said 'hold my beer!'

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 12:37:38 PM »
It's The Godfather I and II of action films.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 08:32:12 PM »
It's The Godfather I and II of action films.

That's a brilliant, and 100% apt analogy!!

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 08:27:51 AM »
I'm gonna have to check those two (Raid & Raid Redemption) out.

How about: Spider-Man 2 fight between Dock Ock and Spidey?
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
  • Liked: 143
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 09:54:07 PM »
If we're talking hand-to-hand the first thing that popped into my mind is the hallway fight scene in the original OLDBOY: one continuous long take of the main character fighting off a dozen or so guys with nothing but a hammer.  Some other movies & series have been influenced by it, one of the more obvious being a scene in an early/mid-1st season episode of "Daredevil."
Some other ones that come to mind:

* THEY LIVE street fight
* CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLIDER elevator fight
* RAID 2 kitchen fight
* JOHN WICK house fight
     ** really, pick any random fight scene from any WICK film or either RAID or RAID 2 **
* most Jackie Chan films (the ladder scene from FIRST STRIKE or some of the DRUNKEN MASTER stuff are some of my favorites)
* SNOWPIERCER 'tunnel' fight
* ANCHORMAN had a pretty get parody of an epic movie fight that was in and of itself a great movie fight
* INDIANA JONES: the truck scene in RAIDERS is one of my all-time favorite action set pieces ever filmed; the scene in LAST CRUSADE when he's fighting all of the Nazis on the tank is pretty awesome/inventive as well
* KILL BILL vol 1: 'House of Blue Leaves' fight of The Bride v Crazy 88's
* ENTER THE DRAGON because Bruce Lee
* CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON Jen Steals the Green Destiny

Some fantastic stuff here. I’m glad They Live was mentioned because that fight in the alley is so underrated.

I loved the action sequence in John Wick in the Red Circle the most myself. The music really made it as it started with the slower song and then full on into the club.

I’m a big fan of the sword fight in The Princess Bride too just for the banter

I’m racking my brain and I know I have many others but I’m just not able to name them at this time.

I’ve seen the first raid and it is awesome.

I think the scene mentioned with Seagal was Out For Justice but I could be wrong. Marked For Death had a pretty good scene as well.
Fun isn’t something one considers when preparing for Comic-Con, but attending does put a smile on my face

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 08:25:32 PM »
John McClane.

'Nuff said.  :)