Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 14827 times)

Offline Miss Kitty

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 631
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #375 on: November 19, 2020, 07:21:55 PM »
San Diego and other counties in purple tier (the most strict) is now on curfew, 10pm-5am. Only essential workers only.

I'm embarrassed to say I know someone that said "the man can't keep me down". I'm like oh that's a joke. Nope. He said bars will stay open, what are they gonna do? I'm like "well, make sure your will is up to date".

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline chocolateshake

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 723
« Reply #376 on: November 20, 2020, 01:50:48 AM »
I listened to the press conference on the way to my weekly Walmart drive up supply run.  A reporter asked what good it would do since it's only at night.  The reply was pretty clear.  It's a warning.  If the trend doesn't change then the full lockdown will be back.

It's a contrast of two Americas where California and New York are locking down again with 3-4% positivity rates.  It took positivity rates of 50% or higher in other states to trigger restrictions.  A very concerning thing at today's press conference is that the hospitalization rate in CA is 12%.  With 10,000 new cases a day it doesn't take many days for that to add up.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #377 on: Today at 02:36:27 PM »

Online perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 838
« Reply #377 on: November 20, 2020, 10:27:34 AM »
More good news on the vaccine front: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The process could start very soon. The first COVID-19 vaccine is anticipated to be authorized by the Food and Drug Administration within the next month, with distribution to start in no more than 24 hours to every state in the union. A second vaccine could be authorized two weeks later. Enough vaccine for 20 million people is expected to be available in December, with more coming in 2021.

As a teacher I'd be in the Phase 2 out of 4, which feels right (those who need it more get it first; if we're pushing to return kids to schools then teachers should have priority after those that need it the most).  I don't know what a realistic timeframe is for dispersal of the vaccine from phase-to-phase, but it seems like we're ramping up to start the process, and that's exciting

Online perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 838
« Reply #378 on: November 20, 2020, 10:37:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I listened to the press conference on the way to my weekly Walmart drive up supply run.  A reporter asked what good it would do since it's only at night.  The reply was pretty clear.  It's a warning.  If the trend doesn't change then the full lockdown will be back.

It's a contrast of two Americas where California and New York are locking down again with 3-4% positivity rates.  It took positivity rates of 50% or higher in other states to trigger restrictions.  A very concerning thing at today's press conference is that the hospitalization rate in CA is 12%.  With 10,000 new cases a day it doesn't take many days for that to add up.
Yeah, this order is basically a "knock this BS off or I'm going to get serious."  Doesn't effect most (people who hang in bars fairly late, people who get the munchies and make 11pm runs to Taco Bell, etc), but almost certainly meant as a warning that if things don't improve harsher restrictions will be coming down.

Offline chocolateshake

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #379 on: November 21, 2020, 04:13:57 PM »
California is spiking.  Both the number of new cases and the test positivity rate is up 50% in 2 days.  There were 10,000 new cases 2 days ago, today it's 15,000.  Positivity was 4% 2 days ago, today it's 6%.  I don't see how we will not go back into full lockdown if this continues.

Covid is local.  San Diego county has a very cool interactive map showing cases and rates per neighborhood.  There are the good neighborhoods, there are the bad ones.  Clicking around the lowest I found was 1% and the highest was 8%.  That matches what I see when I'm in those neighborhoods.  Mask wearing compliance varies a lot.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 631
« Reply #380 on: November 21, 2020, 07:30:03 PM »
Where is the map? I would love to see!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline chocolateshake

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #381 on: November 22, 2020, 11:42:20 PM »
Another vaccine trial has announced it's results.  It's the Oxford vaccine.  It's also a non-traditional vaccine that programs your body to produce the spike protein instead of having the spike protein injected into you as the vaccine.  They average it out to be 70% effective.  That comes from combining two groups.  Using one dosing scheme it was 62% effective.  Using another it was 90% effective.

Between all these vaccines, there may be enough for everyone next year.  There are a lot being trialed right now.

Where is the map? I would love to see!