Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127673 times)

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #1110 on: June 10, 2021, 09:37:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was surprised to find out today that Costco now requires a membership to eat at the food court.  I'm not sure it's Costco wide.  My local Costco's food court is different in that it's semi automated. Food ordering and payment is done at kiosks.

We're from Phoenix and the Costco food court is indoors and requires a membership, always has.  I was surprised when we went to the Burbank location and it was outdoors and EVERYONE and their brother was there with their kids and grandparents and neighbors. So I'm glad they're requiring a membership now in CA.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #1111 on: June 10, 2021, 11:23:59 AM »
We're from Phoenix and the Costco food court is indoors and requires a membership, always has.  I was surprised when we went to the Burbank location and it was outdoors and EVERYONE and their brother was there with their kids and grandparents and neighbors. So I'm glad they're requiring a membership now in CA.

I can't think of any indoor Costco food courts in San Diego, but up in the Bay Area they have some.  Having it indoors is only a minor impediment without a membership.  I sometimes forgot to bring my membership card so I would just tell them I was going to the food court at the door.  There are a bunch of things that don't require a membership at Costco such as the pharmacy, buying legal recreational drugs and until now the food court.  I always thought it was that way due to law.  The real membership check is at checkout from the register.  Even though they ask for membership during pharmacy checkout, you can tell them you don't want to give it or you aren't a member.  That's why there's a dummy membership card taped to the register for them to scan.  Why would I want my pharmacy purchases listed in my Costco purchase history?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1112 on: Today at 05:25:35 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #1112 on: June 10, 2021, 05:33:01 PM »
Technically in CA we're still waiting on the revised CAL-OSHA rules, which apply to most workplaces. They wanted to recommend continued masking unless your employer has proof everyone in a given space is vaccinated, but that got overruled last night. They haven't released a full updated guidance yet, but my office at least has told us to expect to continue masking through June at least.
Yeah my wife informed me she too is 'stuck' with the CAL-OSHA rules (meaning even though she's been fully vaccinated since late March she still has to get regular COVID testing in order to go physically into her office - while working remotely 3/5 days a week).  I'll be incredibly curious to see what the school guidances are for next fall.  Word on the street (read: from a district Administrator I talked to yesterday) is that they'll be pretty close to the same for now but _might_ be a bit more flexible when school starts in the fall.

Note: I'm all for safety, but the schools rules as they pertain to my content area (instrumental music) are incredibly outdated and currently broad and succinct.  For example, extensive scientific testing has shown that 30 mins of indoor band can occur if the room as sufficient time for the air to circulate out post-playing.  We have two rooms (which HUGE ceilings and additional air purifiers to go with our updated-for COVID HVAC system) meaning we obviously have a relatively easy way to implement indoor playing while adhering to what science says best mitigates COVID spread.  In CA the guidances state "band and choir can only happen indoors (and is strongly discouraged)" essentially because a church choir rehearsal became a COVID super-spreading event in March or April 2020 & our state Department of Health seems to refuse to listen to actual content experts when making their guidances  >:(

Sorry for venting (if you haven't guessed I'm mostly _REALLY_ looking forward to the end of the school year next week  8) )

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #1113 on: June 14, 2021, 10:14:06 AM »
“Delta coronavirus variant doubles risk of hospitalization: Scottish study“: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Basically, don’t play with fire. Just get vaccinated if you haven’t. Unless there is a valid reason like health, the vaccines are still effective against the Delta variant. Like I said before, we (humans) have the blueprint to fighting the virus. The ride to victory will be bumpy at times.

Now to good news:

“Novavax Offers U.S. a Fourth Strong Covid-19 Vaccine”: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Lastly, since June 15th “reopening” is tomorrow for CA, here’s this June 7th LAT article:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:50:06 AM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #1114 on: June 14, 2021, 01:35:41 PM »
“Delta coronavirus variant doubles risk of hospitalization: Scottish study“: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This is what makes me nervous about the office reopening again so soon.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #1115 on: June 14, 2021, 05:10:47 PM »
This is what makes me nervous about the office reopening again so soon.

does it double it for non-vax'ed or vax'ed?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1116 on: June 14, 2021, 05:53:07 PM »

From the article in the Lancet.

"The corresponding hazard ratio for risk of hospital admission for S gene-positive cases was 0·38 (95% CI 0·24–0·58), with an interaction test p value of 0·19, suggesting that there was no evidence of a differential vaccine effect on hospital admissions among those first testing positive"

Also consider that this study is observational, it's basically a compilation and summary of reported previously.  So heed the authors warning.

"Given the observational nature of these data, estimates of vaccine effectiveness need to be interpreted with caution."

The vaccines do greatly lower the infection rate and hospitalizations.  So even if it doubled it for the vaccinated, you are still much better off than the non-vaccinated.  The vaccines do work against the Delta variant.  But as noted earlier in this thread, not as well as against the Alpha variant.  With only done dose, much worse in fact.  So low in efficacy that I personally would feel non-vaccinated against the Delta variant if I only had 1 dose of a vaccine.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1117 on: June 14, 2021, 06:08:41 PM »

Basically, don’t play with fire. Just get vaccinated if you haven’t. Unless there is a valid reason like health, the vaccines are still effective against the Delta variant. Like I said before, we (humans) have the blueprint to fighting the virus. The ride to victory will be bumpy at times.

The UK has a comparable vaccination rate to the US.  Because of the Delta variant they decided today to delay their reopening for 4 weeks.  It was originally schedule to happen in a week.  This is from Boris who has been extremely pro dropping of precautions like masking.  It was so refreshing to hear the UK experts arguing about whether to reopen or not.  They didn't really disagree about the facts.  It was not partisan political like it is here in the US. They all agreed that continuing to wear masks would be good.  They just disagreed about the consequences.  So it wasn't that masks are good versus masks are bad, it was whether the economic and social costs were worth continuing to wear masks.  In the end, they decided it was.  One big case for that was even though the vaccines do still work, with reduced efficacy, against Delta people still get infected.  The more people infected the more variants.  So they decided to keep things at a heighten state to reduce transmission.

Also, it's easy to loose track since we've had so many variants.  But when they say that the Delta(Indian) variant is 60% more contagious, it's 60% more contagious than the Alpha(UK) variant.  Remember how people used to worry about that?  Even in the UK now that seems like a gentler kinder covid.  The Delta variant has taken over there.  The Alpha variant is dominate in the US.  The Alpha is about 50% more contagious than the "original" variant.  Which in the US means the first European variant that was dominant here before the Alpha variant.  That first European variant was more contagious than the virus that from Wuhan which was never a factor in the US.  So we are 4 variants in with each one being about 50% more contagious than the last.  Like compound interest, it adds up.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 06:10:50 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #1118 on: June 14, 2021, 06:49:45 PM »

Vax's will be on the honor system which doesn't help my nervousness

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1119 on: June 14, 2021, 08:39:45 PM »
Also, it's easy to loose track since we've had so many variants.  But when they say that the Delta(Indian) variant is 60% more contagious, it's 60% more contagious than the Alpha(UK) variant.  Remember how people used to worry about that?  Even in the UK now that seems like a gentler kinder covid.  The Delta variant has taken over there.  The Alpha variant is dominate in the US.  The Alpha is about 50% more contagious than the "original" variant.  Which in the US means the first European variant that was dominant here before the Alpha variant.  That first European variant was more contagious than the virus that from Wuhan which was never a factor in the US.  So we are 4 variants in with each one being about 50% more contagious than the last.  Like compound interest, it adds up.
Interesting from this article (which as of last week has the Delta variant making up 6% of USA COVID cases) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login:
Fauci said the transmissibility of the Delta variant should prompt any eligible American who has not done so yet to get vaccinated as quickly as possible, as preliminary data show the Pfizer vaccines is 88% effective against the Delta strain.
W/Pfizer & Moderna vaccines being 94-95% effective for Alpha variant, that minor reduction in efficacy helps me sleep at night.  What's disconcerting as chocolateshake mentions is that each variant becomes more contagious, severe, and (likely) deadly than the last: meaning, the longer so many idiots people eligible for the vaccine that ignore science and skip it make the situation that much more dangerous for everyone.  I pound my head on a concrete wall at the sheer stupidity of people ignoring science and trusting nonsense they see on the internet instead of well-proven scientific (and anecdotal) data for...reasons (I'm actually not clear on why people are being stupid about not taking the vaccine to be honest - I've heard the lame excuses, unrelated to younger kids & folks w/legit medical reasons that can't get the vaccine, and absolutely zero of them make sense)

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #1120 on: June 14, 2021, 10:52:16 PM »
Interesting from this article (which as of last week has the Delta variant making up 6% of USA COVID cases) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: W/Pfizer & Moderna vaccines being 94-95% effective for Alpha variant, that minor reduction in efficacy helps me sleep at night.  What's disconcerting as chocolateshake mentions is that each variant becomes more contagious, severe, and (likely) deadly than the last: meaning, the longer so many idiots people eligible for the vaccine that ignore science and skip it make the situation that much more dangerous for everyone.  I pound my head on a concrete wall at the sheer stupidity of people ignoring science and trusting nonsense they see on the internet instead of well-proven scientific (and anecdotal) data for...reasons (I'm actually not clear on why people are being stupid about not taking the vaccine to be honest - I've heard the lame excuses, unrelated to younger kids & folks w/legit medical reasons that can't get the vaccine, and absolutely zero of them make sense)
The heart inflammation/mRNA investigation won’t help the cause in getting more people vaccinated. (226 cases are being investigated by the CDC if anyone wanted to know the case numbers.) Anyway, just look at J&J after that brief pause it had earlier this year, due to the investigation of blood clotting.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 11:01:22 PM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1121 on: June 15, 2021, 12:14:18 AM »
Interesting from this article (which as of last week has the Delta variant making up 6% of USA COVID cases) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login:
Fauci said the transmissibility of the Delta variant should prompt any eligible American who has not done so yet to get vaccinated as quickly as possible, as preliminary data show the Pfizer vaccines is 88% effective against the Delta strain.

That number came from the UK study I've mentioned before.  That same study found that 1 dose, even of Pfizer, is only 33% effective against Delta.  The UK studies are what convinced Britain to postpone full re-opening for another month, so far.

I fully expect that Delta will become dominant in the US just as Alpha and the original European variant did before it.  The UK has comparable vaccination rates to the US and that didn't prevent Delta from taking over there.  That was one issue that some UK experts talked about.  Having infection without serious illness or even symptoms is not enough.  Transmission has to be stopped.  Since infection in someone vaccinated provides a great petri dish for a variant to figure out how to defeat a vaccine.  So things like social distancing and wearing masks have to maintained even after vaccination.  There was a time that Fauci said the same.

What's disconcerting as chocolateshake mentions is that each variant becomes more contagious, severe, and (likely) deadly than the last: meaning, the longer so many idiots people eligible for the vaccine that ignore science and skip it make the situation that much more dangerous for everyone.

Delta seems to more infectious and harmful to the young instead of the old.  Considering that the vaccination rate is high and it was done early in the old, the virus seems to be adapting to a new target rich demographic.

The variants are coming fast and furious.  A booster is not even available for the Alpha(UK) variant.  Now Alpha is commonplace and Delta is the variant we are worried about.  Does it make sense to make boosters targeting one variant since long before we can administer it a different variant is the problem?  Maybe would should just administer another dose of what we already have and hope that like a no longer as potent antibiotic we can make up for it with quantity.  Which is what the UK is considering.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1122 on: June 15, 2021, 12:28:55 AM »
The heart inflammation/mRNA investigation won’t help the cause in getting more people vaccinated. (226 cases are being investigated by the CDC if anyone wanted to know the case numbers.) Anyway, just look at J&J after that brief pause it had earlier this year, due to the investigation of blood clotting.

No it won't.  I don't think the J&J pause should have happened.  It is so rare.  There should have been an advisory not a pause.  The J&J vaccine has never recovered from the stigma.  I don't think it ever will.

This issue is also rare.  To put that 226 cases into perspective.  There have been more than twice that number of known breakthrough cases, fully vaccinated people catching covid, in San Diego alone.  Considering that the vast majority of people that are vaccinated don't get tested, that's probably a big undercount.  Breakthroughs are considered so rare as to not matter.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1123 on: June 15, 2021, 08:16:43 AM »
Breakthroughs are considered so rare as to not matter.
Also because they are generally relatively "harmless," in the sense of no serious symptoms, hospitalizations, deaths, etc.  I suspect many of the COVID+ test results from breakthroughs occur because people had to get tested for other reasons (for example, CalOSHA currently requires office workers to test regularly, even when vaccinated).  There are serious ailments in the breakthrough cases, but from what I've read they seem to be incredibly rare (and anecdotally the ones I've explicitly read about, like Phil Nevin from the NY Yankees as one example, have come from the less-effective J&J vaccine)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #1124 on: June 15, 2021, 08:59:13 AM »
Also because they are generally relatively "harmless," in the sense of no serious symptoms, hospitalizations, deaths, etc.  I suspect many of the COVID+ test results from breakthroughs occur because people had to get tested for other reasons (for example, CalOSHA currently requires office workers to test regularly, even when vaccinated).  There are serious ailments in the breakthrough cases, but from what I've read they seem to be incredibly rare (and anecdotally the ones I've explicitly read about, like Phil Nevin from the NY Yankees as one example, have come from the less-effective J&J vaccine)
yeah, this is why i'm not worried about breakthroughs. Vax'ed people won't die even if they get the UK variant. right?
The un-vax'ed made the decision to not get vaccinated.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5