Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127291 times)

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #1245 on: July 30, 2021, 03:58:12 PM »
No group knows what they are doing since this pandemic began. That’s how I see it.

I think lockdowns are coming back next month. I could be wrong but if right, expect some states to follow while others will not.

Anyway, somethings to see for today:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And

And:

Digest the info as you see fit.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 04:33:43 PM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #1246 on: July 30, 2021, 06:06:51 PM »
I think lockdowns are coming back next month. I could be wrong but if right, expect some states to follow while others will not.

So, same as always. :)

I was out of the house for the first time since the new mask guidance to get food.  Today Walmart announced that all employees are now required to wear masks again immediately.  The employees were but among customers I didn't see any difference from last week.  The majority weren't wearing masks.  Social distancing has been gone for a while.  Today at checkout, the woman behind me was only about a foot away.  They did change the sign out front concerning masks.  It was a big sign that used to say that the fully vaccinated didn't need to mask.  They changed it to a little sign that said that they recommend that all people wear masks.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1247 on: Today at 02:02:59 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #1247 on: July 30, 2021, 07:00:10 PM »
More people that I work with are getting normal colds in the past month or so.  Looks like they are dropping their guard on COVID.

There was one frankly reckless person who got COVID who said that "it wasn't that bad".  I found this frustrating as different people have different levels of reactions and they didn't think COVID was a big deal since it didn't hit them hard.  They were only thinking of themselves and not others.  Very frustrating to hear.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1248 on: July 30, 2021, 08:30:13 PM »
More people that I work with are getting normal colds in the past month or so.

Cold or covid?  There's no way to know without a test.  That's another thing about delta.  The symptoms are different from the previous strains.  They are much more like a common cold.  Things that people used to be on the lookout for like loss of taste and smell have dropped down the list.  The top symptoms associated with delta are the same as the common cold.  Headache, runny nose, sore throat, cough and a fever.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #1249 on: July 31, 2021, 08:19:59 AM »
Cold or covid?  There's no way to know without a test.  That's another thing about delta.  The symptoms are different from the previous strains.  They are much more like a common cold.  Things that people used to be on the lookout for like loss of taste and smell have dropped down the list.  The top symptoms associated with delta are the same as the common cold.  Headache, runny nose, sore throat, cough and a fever.

They say cold, but who knows.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #1250 on: July 31, 2021, 09:13:33 AM »
Hmmmm…the 7-day average of vaccine shots administered here in the US was up 26% (652,084) over 3 weeks ago. Hopefully, this number continues to go up. One stat we all want high. Looking at the UK, looks like the vaccines there are doing their job so far. According to Reuters, cases in Britain are down 33%. Let’s see how things are in 3 weeks, but good to see.

So, same as always. :)

Lol Pretty much. Now, it will be interesting to see if Gov. Newsom will do anything in CA between now and September 14th, due to the recall election coming up. One recent Berkeley poll didn’t say good news for him in some categories. Overall, grab that popcorn and watch the drama unfold. I’m doing it for the SJ vs Disney lawsuit!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 09:18:32 AM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1251 on: July 31, 2021, 10:11:18 AM »
It's turning into Terrible Thursday.  Last week San Diego announced a staggering jump in new daily covid cases to 1243.  I was braced for some big weekend numbers on Monday.  But Monday came and there were "only" around 700 cases each day over the weekend.  That's where it sat all week.  Yesterday they announced this week's Thursday number and it is 1273.  What is it about Thursdays?

Hmmmm…the 7-day average of vaccine shots administered here in the US was up 26% (652,084) over 3 weeks ago. Hopefully, this number continues to go up. One stat we all want high. Looking at the UK, looks like the vaccines there are doing their job so far. According to Reuters, cases in Britain are down 33%. Let’s see how things are in 3 weeks, but good to see.

Any increase in the vaccination rate is great news.  Now if we can get that back up to 3 million vaccinations a day then the unvaccinated half of American can be protected in the next few months.

The UK is an anomaly.  The other high vaccination rate countries have not fared as well.  The UK went "rogue" with how it administered the vaccines.  Despite the consternation and criticism by US public health, the UK delayed the second dose by weeks.  Instead of following the clinical trial and giving the second dose of Pfizer in 3 weeks, they went out as far as 12 weeks.  Most people in the UK got their second dose between 8 and 12 weeks.  That's the thing about vaccines.  That second dose date is not the maximum amount of time you have to get the second dose.  It's not even the optimal time.  Many times the longer you wait, within reason, the better the immune response.  That recommended time until the second dose is the minimum time to wait.  The UK was blasted for veering from the protocol in the clinical trials and that it was dangerous.  In hind sight, it looks like it was the smart move.  It worked so well that the Pfizer CEO brought it up.  It explains why the numbers among the fully vaccinated between the UK and Israel are so different.  The Israeli numbers for the fully vaccinated are more in line with the numbers from other highly vaccinated countries.  Israel is a better model for the US than the UK.  Israel and the US both used Pfizer and both administered it in the same way.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 10:14:27 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #1252 on: July 31, 2021, 03:01:17 PM »
Yesterday, Broadway announced it was requiring vaccines for all audience members 12 and over. Masks required for everyone as well. Proof of vaccine plus a valid ID must be presented upon entry. Under-12s will have to show proof of a negative test (PCR taken within 72 hours or rapid test taken within 6 hours).

The overlap between Broadway patrons and anti-vaxxers is probably pretty small, especially outside the heavy tourist shows like Phantom, Wicked, and Lion King, but I cheered out loud when I saw the announcement. I have a trip planned for September (fingers crossed!) and this made me feel a lot better about sitting shoulder to shoulder with a stranger.

I live in a state that is currently trying to ban vaccine passports and also make it illegal for schools to require masks (while also encouraging all schools to drop their remote options), so it's refreshing to see other places take proactive, intelligent, sane steps.

I'll admit I had stopped wearing a mask in public over the last few weeks. But my county has a "substantial" transmission rate, and will likely remain so since our vax rate is below 50% (let's just say there are a lot of political signs still in yards 9 months after the election, and you can draw your own conclusions). So I'm masking up again. I'm not yet wearing one at work since everyone I work closely with is vaccinated and we can maintain social distancing easily, but I have a few meetings scheduled for August and will likely wear a mask for those - and I 100% will be the only one in the room doing so. My employer will only do what is required of them by the state or federal government, and the Ohio legislature has made it impossible for the governor to issue health orders, so Ohio will not have another mask mandate, which means my employer will not have one either.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 828
« Reply #1253 on: August 01, 2021, 06:28:45 PM »
After hearing that there are some vaccinated asymtomatic people getting infected, I took a covid test at CVS this afternoon.  I’ll get the results in 24-48 hours.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1766
« Reply #1254 on: August 02, 2021, 08:35:21 AM »
My parents were in town from AZ this weekend, and we were out getting stuff for our oldest kid who's moving to college in a few weeks (FINALLY, after 3 semesters of at-home college via zoom).  We went to the Carlsbad outlet mall, which is huge, on Sunday around lunchtime and it was packed.  This was the first time I've been in a mall environment since Feb. 2020.  My wife, parents, and I all wore masks, and almost surprisingly: so did the majority of folks at the packed mall.  It was nice to see, and gave me a little hope for humanity (or at least humanity in my county)

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #1255 on: August 02, 2021, 09:12:25 AM »
After hearing that there are some vaccinated asymtomatic people getting infected, I took a covid test at CVS this afternoon.  I’ll get the results in 24-48 hours.

You were lucky. Testing capacity here (Los Angeles) is atrocious. I got notified I'd been exposed (8 days prior) yesterday afternoon (I'm fully vaccinated), and I spent the next two hours trying to find anywhere that could give me a test appointment or even a guarantee they'd be taking walk-ins within 15 miles. The earliest I could get anything was TUESDAY AFTERNOON. I tried RiteAid, CVS, Walgreens, Ralphs/Kroger, the State, the County, and my health insurance company.

It's ridiculous. I did finally manage to pick up a cancellation for this afternoon, and I took an at-home rapid test in the meantime (negative), but the fact that you can't reliably get a test when you need one here is appalling.

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #1256 on: August 02, 2021, 02:14:34 PM »
With all this breakthrough stuff going on, on a lark, I took a Covid-19 test yesterday, I’m happy to say it came back negative, yay!  :)

You were lucky. Testing capacity here (Los Angeles) is atrocious. I got notified I'd been exposed (8 days prior) yesterday afternoon (I'm fully vaccinated), and I spent the next two hours trying to find anywhere that could give me a test appointment or even a guarantee they'd be taking walk-ins within 15 miles. The earliest I could get anything was TUESDAY AFTERNOON. I tried RiteAid, CVS, Walgreens, Ralphs/Kroger, the State, the County, and my health insurance company.

It's ridiculous. I did finally manage to pick up a cancellation for this afternoon, and I took an at-home rapid test in the meantime (negative), but the fact that you can't reliably get a test when you need one here is appalling.

Yeah, I suspected there might be longer lines for covid testing as well as longer lines for vaccines.  It was on Saturday when I checked CVS, they only had one slot open on Sunday, I grabbed it.
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1257 on: August 02, 2021, 07:08:30 PM »
Germany announced that they will be offering a third dose to at risk adults including the elderly.

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #1258 on: August 03, 2021, 12:19:12 AM »
Pfizer had announced last month that they would apply to the FDA for emergency authorization of a booster shot by mid-August, so hopefully we’ll get our boosters by Fall.
D23 Expo 2017

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1259 on: August 03, 2021, 11:42:00 AM »
Pfizer had announced last month that they would apply to the FDA for emergency authorization of a booster shot by mid-August, so hopefully we’ll get our boosters by Fall.

That announcement was quickly met by a strongly worded public rebuke by the FDA and CDC.  The CEO of Pfizer subsequently apologized.  But it seems that the government's public words don't match it's internal actions.  The US has ordered the vaccines to enable a third dose.

I wish the CDC allowed for more doses in arms.  Hundreds of thousands of doses will shortly expire.  There's not enough demand in the US for people getting first or second doses.  I think those doses would be better used as third doses in the willing or first doses for people outside the US.  Insteading of insisting those doses be put in the trash, I think there are plenty of people willing to take them as third doses.  While we have a glut of vaccine in the US, the world as a whole is desperate for doses.  The people holding doses about to expire want to give them away.  The countries that are desperate for doses what to get them.  The CDC won't allow it.