Author Topic: Covid-19: sickness, symptoms & relief  (Read 8626 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Covid-19: sickness, symptoms & relief
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2020, 05:25:53 PM »
The Remdesivir results were released today.  It was kind of a downer compared to the leaked teaser a few weeks ago.  These two sentences from the last paragraph of the discussion pretty much sums it up.

"These preliminary findings support the use of remdesivir for patients who are hospitalized with Covid-19 and require supplemental oxygen therapy. However, given high mortality despite the use of remdesivir, it is clear that treatment with an antiviral drug alone is not likely to be sufficient."

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

IMO, the big take away from the trial is that something worked.  That something did anything at all no matter how minor.  It's the only thing that has shown any effect at all.  It's not the solution though.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2020, 12:24:39 AM »
Dr. Fauci mentioned in an earlier statement that he hopes we can combine Remdesvir with other drugs to give a bigger punch in treating covid. So definitely need more studies and trials on other drugs. I'm still waiting for more information about the coagulation issues from covid and how we can treat it. It doesn't seem to be clear cut that blood thinners like heparin and warfarin can completely help.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #77 on: Today at 04:11:06 AM »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2020, 07:18:44 AM »
Thank you for keeping this information going. I do not understand a lot of the details, and swirling news, and appreciate this so much! :)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2020, 11:59:31 AM »
Hydroxychloroquine, the epilogue.

Now that the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine has been soundly debunked for covid, what is Trump doing with the 10's of millions of doses he used taxpayer money to buy?  He's sending millions of them to Brazil.  From one leader who doesn't believe in science to another.  The US is #1 and Brazil is #2 on how badly the covid pandemic has been handled.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2020, 12:31:33 PM »
When does the insanity end? ??? ??? ???

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2020, 02:12:09 PM »
Hydroxychloroquine, the epilogue.

Now that the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine has been soundly debunked for covid, what is Trump doing with the 10's of millions of doses he used taxpayer money to buy?  He's sending millions of them to Brazil.  From one leader who doesn't believe in science to another.  The US is #1 and Brazil is #2 on how badly the covid pandemic has been handled.

White elephant gift.  Pass it on.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2020, 01:46:04 PM »
When does the insanity end? ??? ??? ???

Never.  The Lancet and the NEJM have retracted their latest papers on it.  That's rare.  Both those papers were written using the same data and now that data has been called into question.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2020, 01:54:53 PM »
Never.  The Lancet and the NEJM have retracted their latest papers on it.  That's rare.  Both those papers were written using the same data and now that data has been called into question.

Very discouraging. I will bet there are some ....interesting things going in the race for vaccines!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2020, 01:51:45 AM »
If not unexpected, the news about covid has definitely not been good lately.  In short, covid acts like other coronaviruses.  That was emphasized today with the release of a preprint of a UK study into how long recovered people have antibodies.  It confirmed a Spanish paper from a week ago which in turn confirmed a Chinese paper from a month ago.  The answer is not long.  Like the common cold, another coronavirus, antibodies drop off after a few weeks or months.  That's why people keep getting colds over and over again.  If there is any immunity, it's not long lasting.  It's still uncertain whether anyone that's recovered from covid has any immunity.  Thus it's not even certain a vaccine will work at all.  There are continuing reports of people that have recovered getting covid a second time.  So even if a vaccine works, it may not work very long.  It's hard enough to get 50% of the population to get a yearly vaccination, imagine how hard it would be to get 95% of people to get a shot every 3 - 6 months.

Unless a vaccine can illicit a response the actual virus does not, it may not be the answer.  Therapeutics may have to take center stage.  Not the ones we have so far.  Those might improve the chances of staying alive, but by that point a lot of damage has already been done.  We need a prophylactic or something that can knock the virus out early.  One hope for that is antibodies, synthetic antibodies.  Those could scale while a serum would not.

Or enough people could just wear masks but that doesn't seem likely.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2020, 11:20:35 PM »
I was thinking about the mask shortage. Everyone is wondering how to sterilize the masks, but I think they can reuse masks by figuring out how long the virus lives on masks. Let's say it lives for 7 days. Dole out 7 masks per hospital worker. Each day, the workers would don a new mask. At the end of the day, they place the used mask in a sealed container. The next day, they take out a new mask. At the end of that day, they place the used mask in another sealed container. By the end of 7 days, they have 7 masks in 7 sealed containers. Then, they start anew by taking out the mask from the first container, which should have only dead viruses because it was in a sealed container for 7 days. In this way, 7 masks per hospital worker could last many months. What do you think?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 11:22:36 PM by puppy »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »
While that's great for you and me, I've been using the mask since March, for people in a health care setting that would get disgusting pretty quickly.  It's not just the virus that gets on the mask.  There are the accompanying fluids.  These things are not meant to be reused.  They are single use for a reason.  It's like reusing a tissue you and your friend blew their noses into that you've had in your pocket for a few days.  Yes any viruses may be dead, but the rest of the stuff is still there.  Making healthcare workers reuse masks, some using the same mask for weeks, is a disgrace.  What's considered normal now would have been a firing offense a few months ago.

It's a national disgrace that the shortage of PPE is still an issue after all these months.  This isn't rocket science.  We don't need a Manhattan project.  It's a mask.  We have the ability to make as many as we need.  We lack the will.  The administration keeps insisting there is no PPE shortage.  Thus the issue isn't addressed where it needs to be, at the federal level.  Instead states and individual hospitals are left to fight it out in the pit.

N95 masks aren't special.  Before this they weren't even in short supply in any sense.  I've used them when I mowed the lawn to avoid allergies.  I did that because I ran out of procedure masks and was too lazy to go get more.  I had plenty of N95s though.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2020, 04:50:06 PM »
While that's great for you and me, I've been using the mask since March, for people in a health care setting that would get disgusting pretty quickly.  It's not just the virus that gets on the mask.  There are the accompanying fluids.  These things are not meant to be reused.  They are single use for a reason.  It's like reusing a tissue you and your friend blew their noses into that you've had in your pocket for a few days.  Yes any viruses may be dead, but the rest of the stuff is still there.  Making healthcare workers reuse masks, some using the same mask for weeks, is a disgrace.  What's considered normal now would have been a firing offense a few months ago.

It's a national disgrace that the shortage of PPE is still an issue after all these months.  This isn't rocket science.  We don't need a Manhattan project.  It's a mask.  We have the ability to make as many as we need.  We lack the will.  The administration keeps insisting there is no PPE shortage.  Thus the issue isn't addressed where it needs to be, at the federal level.  Instead states and individual hospitals are left to fight it out in the pit.

N95 masks aren't special.  Before this they weren't even in short supply in any sense.  I've used them when I mowed the lawn to avoid allergies.  I did that because I ran out of procedure masks and was too lazy to go get more.  I had plenty of N95s though.

I never said it was ideal. Just saying if they were trying to figure out ways to kill the dreaded virus on a mask, that was one way to do it. They are reusing them anyway, many without any attempts at cleaning them. This was a better way to reuse them. Rather than use one unsterile mask every day for a month, then replacing the mask, they can use 7 masks for 7 months; but every day, they would be able to use a sterile one (with respect to SARS-CoV-2) versus an unsterile one.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2020, 06:08:50 PM »
I never said it was ideal. Just saying if they were trying to figure out ways to kill the dreaded virus on a mask, that was one way to do it. They are reusing them anyway, many without any attempts at cleaning them. This was a better way to reuse them. Rather than use one unsterile mask every day for a month, then replacing the mask, they can use 7 masks for 7 months; but every day, they would be able to use a sterile one (with respect to SARS-CoV-2) versus an unsterile one.

My post is in no way a criticism of your idea.  It is a criticism of the lack of Federal response.

One question though.  The reason some people are only issued one mask a month is that they can only source one mask a month.  Where would they get 7 masks all at once to start the rotation?

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2020, 12:07:53 AM »
My post is in no way a criticism of your idea.  It is a criticism of the lack of Federal response.

One question though.  The reason some people are only issued one mask a month is that they can only source one mask a month.  Where would they get 7 masks all at once to start the rotation?

I think they have more than one mask a month to give out, but they dole them out slowly to avoid running out completely. That is, they have 7 masks for 7 months, but they aren't going to give out 7 masks all at once for fear of having nothing left. However, if they give out the seven masks and tell workers to use them in that particular manner, I think it would work.

As for federal response...what federal response? We are a worldwide embarrassment.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 12:13:43 AM by puppy »

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2020, 06:33:25 AM »
This has been a perfect storm: pandemic combined with incompetent leadership worldwide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk