Author Topic: Today, would YOU go to SDCC? **If you change your mind, u can change your VOTE**  (Read 26338 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 6995
To be clear, this poll is set so that folks can change their vote. The intention is to gauge the amount of current uncertainty about the big meet up called SDCC in July. As I post this poll, it's March 18th.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1844
I say Yes, with Disinfectant.  But that could change, obviously, depending on what happens over the next few weeks.  We'll need to take snapshots of how this poll changes.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
I'm with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login , except for not disinfectant - guidance by health authorities that attending is an okay thing to do. I'm not at all afraid of getting sick myself, but if gatherings are still spreading COVID-19 to vulnerable populations, then I can't go no matter how much I want to.

Offline teriqueen

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 95
No, though I am open to changing my mind. I'm over 60, and I just recovered from breaking my leg and wrist in a stupid Segway accident last fall. I'm feeling pretty risk-averse at the moment.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
I think you should add an option of "yes if it is postponed for fall" or something like that, I personally would not go in july, but in oct I would think of it

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
I absolutely would, but I'd take all the disinfectant in the world. But i'm not in a dangerous group for covid-19 and while I'm sick at the moment (fingers crossed it's just allergies) I'm not in contact with people who are in a worrisome group either.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
I voted 'anytime, anyplace', however...

I'm really not worried for myself at all, even if I were to be exposed and contracted the virus.

I'm a healthy senior, so I don't fall into the category of having a compromised immune system.

This is not to say I don't have concern for those that do.  I know people who have issues that would be of a concern.  They take it upon themselves not to get exposed, and I do my part not to expose them by adhering to the health guidelines. 
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm a healthy senior, so I don't fall into the category of having a compromised immune system.

You are contracting two of the warnings.  It's not seniors with compromised immune systems.  It's seniors as one risk group.  It's also people with compromised immune systems as another.  So being old alone is a risk.  Being old or young with a compromised immune system is another.

The European experience also differs from the Chinese one.  More younger people in Europe have fallen ill than in China.  Half the people that have died in France are under 60.  More than the expected percentage of people in their 20-40's are in ICUs in Italy.

Everyone is at risk to covid.  No one has a golden ticket.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:26:41 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
I think you should add an option of "yes if it is postponed for fall" or something like that, I personally would not go in july, but in oct I would think of it
I would say there is almost no chance they would reschedule for a different time.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9690
Anytime, anyplace. They've already canceled too much.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Good pole idea.  :)

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1881
No, though I am open to changing my mind. I'm over 60, and I just recovered from breaking my leg and wrist in a stupid Segway accident last fall. I'm feeling pretty risk-averse at the moment.
Stupid segway accicent?  Tell us more! I smell a story!! :D
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
Disinfectant is useless if someone right next to you coughs or sneezes. That is the issue here. SDCC is people jammed right next to each other.
The only way I'd go is if there was medicine for COVID-19 readily available. Also there are reported cases of people catching it more than once.

But I would consider going if strict rules were in effect like mandatory face masks and limiting the number of people in closed areas. Still a risk.

If you are older, don't be a fool. Wait for a vaccine or cure.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 04:01:45 PM by dcol »

Offline teriqueen

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 95
Stupid segway accicent?  Tell us more! I smell a story!! :D

Not a particularly good story, I'm afraid. But since you asked, the short version is that my husband's brother and his wife were visiting at the end of September to experience their first autumn in Vermont, and my husband arranged for a Segway tour of a nearby forested park on the side of a mountain. I discovered that Segways are actually big scary machines (they're especially big with off-road tires) and have NO BRAKES (a minor detail that will be important later). We did fine during the tour, which took us over some steep and bumpy trails. Afterwards, because we had all proved ourselves so adept, the guide gave us some time to explore on our own. My brother-in-law took off down a freakily steep part of the trail, and my husband had to follow, of course. I was worried that this macho competition would lead to disaster, so I went after them. The only way to slow or stop a Segway is to lean backwards, and the heavier you are, the easier it is to slow down. I, alas, was not quite heavy enough to either slow or stop the damn thing from careening down the trail, and it threw me off to the side. I hit my head pretty hard, but I had a decent helmet on. I thought I had just dislocated my knee, but I had fractured my right tibia in two places and my right wrist in one place. I spent two months on the sofa before the leg healed enough to bear any weight at all. Also, I live in a two-story house on the side of a hill, meaning I was mostly confined to one room.

The upside is that social distancing is a piece of cake in comparison!